21 October 2013

Homemade: Easy Sweet Biscuits

I thought I'd share with you the recipe for our homemade biscuits. We make these a lot. As in, I don't buy biscuits, and this is about the only thing I make [regularly] that has added sugar [ok so the the odd chocolate muffin also happens..]. They are definitely my go-to treat for when I'm craving something sweet. Warning though, these are dangerous. Fresh out of the oven they are so good it's highly possible to eat a large portion of the batch without realising it and then have a mega sugar high. Followed by a mega sugar crash. You have been warned.

This recipe is adapted from the Cheap and Easy Biscuits recipe in the book Down to Earth [clearly a favourite of mine]. This is the base recipe, and from here you can make whatever biscuit you like - jam drops [my favourite], choc chip, peanut butter, plain and sprinkled with icing sugar, whatever you fancy. We get four batches of biscuits out of this basic mix, so we wrap them separately and put them in the freezer. It's so easy to have yummy homemade biscuits when you only have to defrost the dough, roll them into balls and bake them. Too easy really.

Ingredients:
250g butter, softened
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar [depending how sweet you like it]
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
4-5 cups of self raising flour*

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line trays with baking paper [I re-use my baking paper when I make these].
Cream together the butter and sugar, and add the sweetened condensed milk. Stir in the flour. The final amount of flour depends on how thick the mixture is looking [how much sugar you use also impacts]. If I add too much flour and it's looking to thick, I add a dash of milk to moisten it up again.
Add any bits to the dough like chop chips. Shape the dough into little balls and flatten onto baking trays. For jam drops, make a little hole in the centre of each biscuit and fill with jam. For plain biscuits, flatten with a fork for a pretty look.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on your oven and how crunchy you like your biscuits.
Remove from oven and eat them [or let them cool and store them].

We get about 15-20 biscuits per batch depending on how big we make them. Also, when using dough that has been frozen, I find that it gets a bit dry so I usually work it in a bowl with a little milk to bring it back to a good consistency. Since we started making these, some months ago, we have not made any other kind of biscuit. I probably need to branch out and at least keep my hand in with some other recipes, but seriously, this are just so easy and good, you can't blame me for getting a bit stuck on them.

What's your go-to sweet treat that you make?

* We use gluten-free flour.

4 comments:

  1. Yum, another great recipe. My family aren't over the banana bread yet (the surprise of me making it that is). I think I will give these a go too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You should definitely try these, the most time consuming part is in the first batch... after that it's all about eating.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.