 |
| My trusty garden helper examining the tomatoes. |
Well I'm finally seeing the results of my work in the new garden. Summer is here, and we're harvesting almost daily from the small but abundant garden I've been toiling at for months. There are, as always, winners and losers in the garden, but despite some plants not thriving, most are doing well. And the truth is in the harvesting.
My one surviving zucchini plant is doing a wonderful job of feeding us. Granted I don't have quite the zucchini glut that I've come to love [zucchini chocolate cake is the answer], but we've got enough zucchini's coming in when we want them, and they are delicious. And my baby loves zucchini, so it's all the better for me. The lettuce has been going strong for weeks now, and the rainbow chard has picked up after a slow start. The beetroots are wonderful and small fresh leeks cooked up with fresh zucchini is just divine.
 |
| We've had plenty of these little beauties. |
 |
| Colours of the rainbow chard. |
 |
| Beetroot and lettuce have done very well. |
Tomatoes are slow to develop, I'm only just seeing small fruit set now, after what feels like weeks of flowering. I've got some little capsicums in the ground, growing well but a way off flowering. They went in quite late so I'm hoping for some capsicums before the summer is over. I've also got celery doing not very much. It's there, growing ever so slowly, but I would have hoped for more from it by now. I had the same thing happen last summer - is there a trick to celery that I'm not aware of? Apart from better soil perhaps.
 |
| Finally, a tomato has appeared. |
 |
| Me, the leeks, some weeds and a basil that's just hanging on. |
 |
| Celery doing not very much and some little capsicums that need to grow big and strong. |
Beans have been a source of disappointment for me. I've had two attempts now, once with seeds straight in the ground, which sprouted and promptly got eaten, and then with some seedlings I grew in punnets, only to see them whither and fade in the not-very-improved soil. Blah to that. So I've given up on them for now and instead put seed potatoes in that patch of soil, if nothing else, to help condition it for next season. I also lost a couple of zucchini plants and a cucumber to bugs, snails I think. I must put out some beer for them to have a drink but it's not something that gets purchased much these days, so it hasn't happened yet.
 |
| A surprisingly happy little basil over in the herb garden. |
My herb garden is ticking along, the sage is taking hold nicely and I'm surprised to see some basil looking quite healthy out there. Not huge, but growing happily all the same. Oregano and thyme are slowly growing, as is the rocket. I must say again the soil quality is ok but not great over there so I guess I'll just have to condition it over time. When I get time! My poor little chamomile didn't make it. I'm a bit disappointed about that, I guess it wasn't happy where it was, and before I had a chance to do anything much about it, it was too late.
So all in all, I'm happy with where the garden is at right now. You win some, you lose some and if all else fails, rely on the good old zucchini and silverbeet [rainbow chard]. Head on over to the
Garden Share Collective page to check out what other bloggers have been up to, both in Australia and around the world. Happy gardening to you!
Looks lush and wonderful! I'm still harvesting cavelo Nero kale and have some beetroots still. I would have chard but the chooks like it (grr!) and I've some caulis in which I hope to harvest late spring. But, again, the chooks get at them and as their run is a quagmire I do like to give them some time out in the day. I really should cover them! Oh,I still have some capsicum in the greenhouse too. I'm desperate for them to turn red as I don't like them green but I'm not sure it's goin to happen :(
ReplyDeleteIt is fun though, growing your own. There's nothing g quite like it :)
I've never grown kale but I'm going to try it. I'm loving our beetroots this year (maybe because I've finally worked out how to cook them properly). I'm hoping to get some capsicums, I'll take green! Thankfully, the little chickens mostly stay out of the vegie garden - I've chased them out a few times, and now they hardly go near it. Can chickens be trained?? I'm sure I will regret writing this, as they'll probably get in there wreak havoc now!
DeleteYour garden is looking pretty good in places, the good old Zuchinis can be counted on to do well most of the time.
ReplyDeleteRoses are gross feeders, so they have to be fed (fertilzed) every 3 months, they like a good drink a few times a week and don't like hot roots, so some mulch is needed, if they get good sun as well they should flower on and off until a few months rest in winter .
The Celery is a gross feeder too, as are most of your green leafy plants, so regular feeding with good, nutrient rich compost, or worm juice etc. is needed in poor soil, Sugar cane mulch works well to keep roots cool, stop weeds,stop moisture loss and breaks down to feed and improve the soil, win, win.
Little kids love small cherry tomatoes, and snap peas, something to pick and eat in the garden ........have fun and keep cool : )
We have heaps of roses out the front and I've not much idea about anything rose-related! Yet...
DeleteI've got heaps of pea straw mulch around the garden, which is doing a brilliant job of keeping the moisture in. I've hardly given any fertiliser though, I usually give my 'weed water' every two weeks but these days, I'm just not getting the opportunity. I relented and gave everything some seasol this week instead (but I prefer my own blend!).
I can't wait until the tomatoes are ripe for the little one to pick and try. At the moment he's grabbing handfuls of tomato flowers! And lettuce. He loves it.
Your garden is going great guns. Nothing nicer than cooking your own vegetables
ReplyDeleteIt's true, the best really is to harvest fresh from the garden and cook it up nice and fresh.
DeleteFeed that celery like no tomorrow - they love loads of water daily, liquid fert weekly. Also recently I spoke to another gardener and they cut a piece of pipe about 4 inches deep to put over the celery to force it to grow upwards and make stalks.
ReplyDeleteSad to hear you had a few causalities - I too would be sad loosing my chamomile.
That's a great idea about the pipe. Yes I'm realising that I need to give it more water and food than I have been, oops.
DeleteIt's looking great! I've not had any luck with celery, but did hear it was a hungry plant, so maybe it just needs some extra organic matter/liquid fert?
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to give it lots of water and fertiliser now, thanks for the tip. Hopefully it will grow like mad!
Delete