It is winter. The trees are mostly bare, the days are becoming grey and heavy, and the air is - well, not as cold as it should be. A little agapanthus flowers in my garden, the scent of wattle is heavy in the air. The seasons are strange right now.
![]() |
| Afternoon sun at the change in season, autumn gives way to winter. |
For some years now, I have been shifting closer to living in tune with the season. It is not easy, when we live in a society that no longer relies on the seasons. Vegetables are grown all year round under lights and with hydroponic set-ups, street lights make the night into day, the work day is relentless as the economy must still grow (apparently, so we have been told).
But the earth is still the same. Humans are still creatures of the earth, and there is still the rhythm of the season, the beat of something more primal. Winter is a time of dormancy, of going within. Of spending less energy, of keeping warm, of sleeping longer with the longer hours of darkness. Spring signals the time of emergence, of coming to life again after the winter hibernation. Summer is expansive, the energy is high and productivity is too. The gardens bloom and provide much abundance. Autumn is a time for softening, easing off. Slowing the pace, in readiness for the coming cold. And for beauty in ageing.
And yet our modern world seems so out of touch with the true nature of the seasons. Foods are no longer seasonal. I can walk into my local supermarket and buy tomatoes, if I want to. The shorter day is nowhere reflected in an adjustment to the typical working hours expected of employees, and shops remain open after dark, catering for people still out and about, when in earlier times, they would have been tucked up at home as the sun went down.
I am stepping further and further towards living in tune with the season. My body has always known what to do. It wants more rest in winter, yet I have fought against it. It wants to keep me warm with a little extra weight for the colder months, yet I have always fought against it. It wants to go for walks outside, rugged up against the cold in warm clothes. I have forced it into much harder exercise, in much lighter clothes, and now pay the price with cold lodged in my bones. My body wants to slow down, be warm, be nourished, and now I am going to let it.
I want for my son to know the seasons. I want him to grow up to appreciate the beauty of every season, and to experience and truly live, the changes in the season. Not the cricket season or the footy season. No. The true nature of the world around him. Of the leaves on the trees as they change colour and fall. And the vegetables we grow in the garden over summer, then go all year without, until we can grow them once again. I want him to know the joy of a warm home in winter, filled with the smells of hearty, earthy soups cooking on the stove. I want him to know the delight in a ripe, homegrown tomato in summer, and how that cannot be replaced by a tomato grown artificially, out of season. I want him to know that it is ok to slow down, to do less, sleep more, over winter. And he will only know these things because that is what we live.
Do you feel the pull of the seasons?

Love it.....this is why I have taken to a nature religion; the tenets of my faith come from the wheel of the year, the changing of seasons (both the planets and our own). My family and I celebrate the changes of season (once every six weeks approximately; beginning/end of season and solstice/ equinox) and I learn about other cycles, like the cycle of our lives from birth to death, the cycle of our emotions, from joy to sorrow and the cycle of adventures from idea to culmination and end.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post and I love that you want your son to understand that we are a part of the planet not just tenants.
I can understand a nature religion. A lot of the old pagan ways make so much sense to me. The cycle of things is so important, the seasons are just one of those aren't they. Thanks so much for your comment.
DeleteHi Jacqui, I've just found your blog from her library adventures. Beautiful post and you are so right. I live in South West Victoria and really notice the change of the seasons. Some people love the hot weather and complain about the cold. I just love the changes from autumn to winter, the emergence of spring and then the warmth of summer. The more I step away from consumerism and live more in tune with my body and live more simply, the happier I feel!
ReplyDeleteWarm regards,
Jan
Hi Jan, thanks for reading. Yes Victoria is the pace to really feel the seasons! Sometimes I think I'd like to live further north but I know I would miss the seasons too much. As much as I love warm weather, I wouldn't appreciate it without the cold. And I agree, stepping away from consumerism is definitely a happy path!
DeleteBeautifully written Jacqui
ReplyDeleteThank you Wendy :)
DeleteGreat post! One of my goals for this year is to be more in tune with the seasons (maybe NOT staying up as late as I can working on indoor things during the Winter!). It's summer here now, so it's a very busy time, I'll be ready to slow down by the time fall gets here!
ReplyDeleteYes I need to make sure I don't stay up working away til late at night, even though I know I shouldn't, I still find myself doing it.. Enjoy your long summer days!
Deletewhat a thoughtful post. only this mornign,i walked thru the supermarket and caught a deliciously sweet smell. i turned around and saw crates of peaches - right next to the tomatoes - and i thought, as beautiful as that fragrance was, it was so wrong. we don't have peaches growing at this time of the year - notin tassie, anyway.
ReplyDeleteunfortunately my working week hours are dictated by a fulltime job, otherwise i would be sleeping in a bit - hibernating for the tasmanian winter.
Yes it's weird isn't it. There's something not quite right about eating summer fruit in winter, unless it's been preserved from a summer harvest (and not in a supermarket coldstore!).
DeleteI have always questioned why the working hours are as they are. Believe me I struggled with that one for many years. Definitely a perk of being a stay at home mum. Not that there's much sleeping in with a toddler..
Your blog is such an inspiration! Living in tune with the seasons and turing away from consumerism is definitely a life goal for me, Flick x
ReplyDeleteKind words, thank you :) I just love watching the seasons and living in tune as much as we can. x
DeleteI love this! I'm catching up on your blog and I'm really enjoying all of your posts! I absolutely feel the pull of the seasons...especially winter where I feel like hibernating. It's funny how we feel like we have to fight against it all the time? I haven't been running in about a month and I do not feel like it in the slightest, however the idea of going for a hike feels much better. I think it's time to start paying more attention and honouring that I guess!
ReplyDeleteI know, like we're supposed to be machines or something and not be affected by the changing seasons. I definitely feel like getting out and doing exercise, I love the crisp cold air, but in a different way, like you say. You can't run all rugged up, you get too hot, and I'm realising the same thing about riding my bike. So I'm finally paying attention this year too, and going more with how I feel. It's only a few months and I wonder how much more energy I might have when spring comes, if I'm not exhausted from trying to do too much over winter.
Delete