So here we are, September already. Can you believe it? Yikes, it's the downhill run now to summer and all those Christmas celebrations. I've already decided I'm abstaining from all that this year. And possibly for all future years to come. But anyway, back to the garden. It's time to link up with Lizzie of Strayed from the Table and a bunch of gardening bloggers around the world for the Garden Share Collective. I missed last month too, it's good to be back.
![]() |
| Hello pretty - the nectarine is about to blossom. |
Anyway, I'm now starting out with another new garden, following our recent house move. Twice in a year is enough for me. In a nutshell, we're now living on a three acre block, the bulk of which is paddock, but it currently has four smallish vegie garden beds, some randomly scattered fruit trees and the makings of a small orchid.
![]() |
| More pretty - the blood plum is flowering. |
Lets talk about the pretty stuff first. The lovely nectarine tree just outside the house is almost in flower. Buds are just starting to open. I'm looking forward to seeing an abundance of beautiful pink blooms any day now. The blood plum in the front garden is also about to spring into life, slightly ahead of the nectarine with pretty white flowers. Like little marshmallows all over the twiggy tree. So pretty. Five varieties of apple in the orchid are not yet doing much, nor is the ancient mulberry tree right down the end of the paddock. I'm watching that one with much interest.
And then there is the vegie garden area. Hmmm. It's currently not so pretty. It looks like this.
![]() |
| Less pretty - can you see there is actually a vegie garden bed buried here? |
It's not all bad news, I have almost fully weeded and cleared one bed, and done a bit of work on another. The soil looks good (thankfully - walking into a place with good soil, yes please!) and I have been doing some simple planting as I go. You just have to get the stuff in the ground, right? So there is currently growing rainbow chard, spring onions and celery. I cannot imagine not growing celery now. It is one of my ultimate go-to plants, just like herbs. Speaking of herbs, I have also planted out some flat leaf parsley, oregano and lemon thyme, in addition to some of the old style parsley (I don't even know what you call it, other than the old style) and an as-yet unidentified herb that were already growing. Oh and there was some silverbeet already growing here as well. Me and this place, we were meant to be.
![]() |
| Old faithful, a little rainbow chard is growing. |
I'm actually quite happy with what I have managed to do so far in this place. It's been a slow process the whole moving, cleaning, sorting and organising and gardening hasn't been top priority (apart from keeping the grass to an almost respectable level, and I think we're mostly failing there). But little snippets of time have been the key, making the most of 5 minutes here or 10 minutes there. It is the only way. I have even managed to make and slowly dispense a batch of weed tea. And so far, so far the chickens have not discovered the vegie garden beds… They have been close, but probably couldn't see them under all the grass. So at least that is one problem I don't have this time around. And besides, fruit trees are flowering. It's all good.
![]() |
| More pretty. Lets juts focus on the pretty. |
How is you vegie garden going these days? Gearing up for spring and summer or enjoying the fruits of your labour as you head into autumn?
As always, be sure to take a look at the other gardening bloggers taking part in the Garden Share Collective. And as always, thanks to Lizzie for putting it all together.





I don't envy you the moving process, and twice in one year, double ack! It looks like ypu've landed in a splendid spot though.
ReplyDeleteMost definitely a splendid spot, I have plans for lots of lots of vegie garden beds to come.
DeleteIf there is a rainbow chard growing that garden was obviously meant for you. Lets see if it will turn into a monster of a bush like at your first place. You really have some work cut out for yourself with those over grown beds. Little by little I am sure that you will once again transform it to an edible wonderland. Double bonus to having a blood plum - i love those.
ReplyDeleteThankfully at this time of year the weeds come out easily, so I must get it done before it starts to dry off. I'm a big fan of the blood plum too, I can't wait to try the fruit.
DeleteHave you considered putting the chooks to work clearing the vege beds for you? Our girls can clear a patch of every weed and blade of grass really fast and they compost along the way. A chicken tractor or portable fence would keep them on task and in the right area :)
ReplyDeleteIt had not occurred to me to use the chooks! Great idea though. They would go through it in no time. Be worth seeing if we can rig up a chook tractor to do the job. Thanks for the suggestion.
DeleteA new garden, how exciting! I have been a bit quiet on the In The Garden posts over on my blog as I am expanding my veggie garden. I am trying to make more growing space. I look forward to seeing what happens next in your new garden x
ReplyDeleteIt is exciting. I'd love to share another In The Garden soon actually. I'll look forward to seeing what happens in your garden!
DeleteNew Garden. Something beautiful, but definitely a lot of work waiting for you. I support and I will be waiting for more information about your garden.
ReplyDeleteThank you, it is beautiful, I love going out there after the rain the most as it smells so good.
Delete