20 October 2014

Snippets

Sometimes I look around here, this place, and feel overwhelmed with all that needs to be done. The first phase of excitement and possibility of moving into a new house, a house that needs work, is wearing off. The reality of slowly chipping away at things, bit by bit, as time allows, and the bank balance allows, as our energy levels allow, this reality, is harder. We knew it would be, of course. 

The exterior of the house still needs a good wash. There is a build up of years of dust on the outside. The reality is, come summer and harvest time, the grain trucks are going to kick up so much more dust, you almost wonder whether it's worth it. I wonder if I will be able to put washing on the line. But the afternoon light is so beautiful all the same.


The prayer flags we hung already look as weathered and faded as this old house. Quite fitting, really. They've slotted in well. Perhaps we have also slotted in well.

The door. From the first time I saw the turquoise door, I loved it. Someone who lived here previously must have loved it too. Maybe one day a repaint, and sooner than that, a good wash. But the colour remains the same.

The brick paving. There ground is so uneven under this paving, you could step in a pothole and sprain an ankle (not that you can see it here). The past few weeks, my pet project has been weeding and sweeping and cleaning this paving area. This shows some cleared, and some not yet done (and not the worst, by any stretch). With little pockets of time, it slowly happens.
Our home is certainly rustic, I think that is how you would describe it. I like rustic. There is such a realness to it, and it is homely. It's not glamorous, it's not something you would see in the pages of Country Style Magazine, and honestly, I would never want it to be. 

6 comments:

  1. Yep out home is rustic too! It was sold as a 'renovators nightmare' and that's pretty close to the mark! We bought it as a ten year project, but then bub came along with hardly any work started and not much has happened since. Would it have been more sensible to buy a less rustic, more finished home is a question we've asked a lot as bits fall apart. But for whatever reason, we're happy here. I've never had a place that I would call 'home' in the sense if it being a sanctuary. But I'm at peace here and I love it. So the ten year plan just has to become the fifteen to twenty year plan! If you have no intention of moving in the near future I realised that it doesn't really matter if the work takes longer. You'll get there in the end (or not!) but you get to enjoy the living now. Sending lots of peaceful home wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! We half-joke about throwing it all in for a terrace house in Carlton. We'd go nuts but it's a nice dream when it feels too much here and we wonder why we did this to ourselves! We came here with a ten year plan too, it will either be much shorter than that or much longer than that. We are happy here, after all.
      Thank you! I loved reading this comment :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, Jacqui, please don't get discouraged. I gave up on perfect a long time ago. Homes are always works in progress, so instead of focusing on all that needs to be done, enjoy the journey and rejoice in all your small victories. I love your prayer flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I know, I really do know deep down. Sometime the niggles just rise to the surface. Thank goodness for the small victories!

      Delete
  3. hee hee I live in modern flat but every day becomes more rustic.
    Photos - beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I guess that's true of anywhere, really :)
      Thank you.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.