I thought about calling this post 'how to catch a Shetland pony', but then figured I can't use that title because I'm still trying to work out how to catch the damn Shetland pony. Little beast won't let us near her, but happily scoffs down the bucket of food we give her every day. Breaks out of her paddock as she pleases to wander through the house yard and has taken to eating our pretty roses. My husband refers to Shetlands as the 'devil's horse' and I start to think he may be right. Do you know how to catch a Shetland?
![]() |
| Busted. |
November is truly one of my favourite months. I know lately I've been less keen for the summer heat to arrive than usual, but I start to remember how much I love November. The trees are covered in the bright green leaves of late spring, flowers are blooming, the weather is warm but not excessively hot. The best days are the cloudy ones - for some reason I just love the sight of all the new spring growth against a grey sky. We've been treated to a few grey days so far this November, and even a little rain, so lovely to watch. Good for the senses, good for the soul, good for the garden and the land. The chooks have gone broody and are tucked up in their nesting box together, sharing the eggs to be kept warm. There are some fertilised ones in there, so we're hoping for some chicks in a few weeks...
Big shifts are taking place in our little home. My little one, 19 months old, has elected to sleep in his own bed, quite suddenly, after having co-slept with us since he was born. I must say, as happy as I am for him to be growing up and going happily into his own room and bed, I was not quite ready for the change. It still feels strange crawling into a cold bed without him tucked up asleep already. I had no idea it would happen this easily or this fast - I tended to think he might be a bit clingy and not want to leave our bed. I was wrong. I start to have more faith than ever that an attachment-style of parenting will produce a confident and independent little person. Certainly in our case it seems to be so. But goodness, the sight of my little boy tucked up in his own lovely warm and cozy bed is just the sweetest thing.
My efforts in the garden of late have been mixed. There is a multitude of earwig bugs ready to eat the leaves of any new growth, and so far I have lost broccoli and eggplant seedlings, a few potatoes and of course my favourite, silverbeet and rainbow chard. I'm not very happy about the situation. I've also lost some pumpkin seedlings to a late cold night, and I've got some tomatoes ready to plant out but I'm hesitant; when I check the weather forecast the next week still see's us having lows around 5 degrees. The likelihood of getting any cold-protection measures in place right now is low. But I have been building a nice rock wall, adding to some existing rock wall around the 'orchard' where the apple trees grow. That is a success, as is my parsley, my oregano and so far, some red onions.
And I'm still struggling with energy levels and tiredness at the moment. Sometimes the energy comes and sometimes I feel drained and flat. We're settling into some new routines for our days too, some things I've wanted to bed down for a long time but haven't managed to do. Grocery shopping on a Monday. Often times the library on a Thursday. A morning at the playground on Friday's. This is my favourite, I find it is such a lovely way to end the week, now that William is old enough to really enjoy playing at the playground. We pedal up on the bike and stay for a while. We pedal most places around town here, I much prefer getting the bike out for a trip up the street than the car. It's so easy here, I never even feel the need to chain the bike up. Small town life, it's good.
So anyway the post title comes from a line in a song by Sarah Blasko from a long time ago. Another favourite.

The only way to catch a Shetland pony is by giving them no other choice; use food, but be patient and don't give her the food until you have her secured, but make sure you DO give her the promised food once she is caught because they remember that kind of broken promise. They are very smart those little daemons.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on William leaving to his own bed...that's a big step. I think you are parenting in a sensitive and natural manner and you will certainly raise a caring and loving child...until puberty. It is also a natural process for kids to rebel against their upbringing and go completely the other way; it's how they establish their own, separate identities. My advice is to ride it out, the early training you gave him will come back eventually..
Hmmm. She's got us worked out with the food.
DeleteThe teenage years are so far off right now I can't really comprehend, but I do agree, the foundations we put down in these early years are the best bet for successfully parenting a teenager. I think..
Little trickster! I'm guessing there's no chance of a small yard to entice her in for her feed? The other thing would be maybe a halter with a small bit of rope on the end to grab hold of, but scrap that if you can't catch her to put it on! Good luck, those little ponies can be the smartest too!
ReplyDeleteAgree totally with Jude re William and the way you are raising him. Our son has similar nature and now at 19 has not (yet / hopefully never) given us much worry. I'm sure he is no saint, but its true that early training and family commitment pays off in the end. The best part is that it doesn't feel like a chore just doing what is natural
We still need to build a permanent yard. We have made a temporary one and there's no way she will go in it when we're around. She is totally outsmarting us right now.
DeleteI can't quite comprehend having a 19 year old yet! I'm coming to terms with 19 months. You must have done a great job. But yes I do think that the early years are so important, and it is the natural way for us.
Wow, William in his own bed, that was sudden, they never cease to amaze and entertain, and some of the little milestones can catch you offguard....bam, whole other chapter begun and one ended.
ReplyDeleteMy kids had sheepskins from day one, cool in Summer and warm in Winter, very comforting to sleep on wherever it is, traveling, visiting etc.Throw in machine with wool wash on wool cycle and washed many times in 11 years...easy.
It was so sudden, I thought it would take us 6 months, but he just decided. Got to respect that!
DeleteWe had a little sheepskin for the pram, but he would be too big for it now. It is a good idea though, we could still do it. I'm sure he would love it.
Good luck with catching the Shetland, some have a whole other temprament to normal horses. You can get a horse to aproach you with body language and stages of eye contact etc. it is quite fascinating to watch this method work (utube)...... but Shetlands ?.......worth a try
Delete