12 November 2014

The Simple Things


We had our local market in town the Sunday just gone. I love our local market the most of all, it has such a down to earth feel about it. Hardly surprising really, that sums up our town quite well. It's a place where you can usually find real, homegrown produce for sale, by people who are only looking for spare change (or so it seems, given how low the prices are). I remember coming here back in about February this year, and a fellow was just handing out big bunches of grapes to everyone walking past. It's that kind of market. 

We pedalled home with a little stash of goodies: parsnips, peas, radishes, broccoli, leeks, a bunch of plants and a dozen local free range eggs (since our girls are both sitting on eggs and not laying eggs). We have been eating peas for days, they just seem to keep going and going. I love homegrown peas, and yet it's probably my biggest disappointment in my own vegie gardening endeavours. I managed a few measly little pods earlier this year, but I would love nothing more than to have a bountiful harvest of peas in our garden. 

So for now we're enjoying these. William is loving opening up the pods and getting the peas out, which he then chews and spits out. He's learning. But he loves them - if he see's them, he must have them, in that way that toddlers must have things. And I'm plotting and planning about how I might successfully grow peas in our garden next year. Any tips on how to grow peas? It can't be that hard. But I am reminded that the small and simple things truly are the important things. Shelling peas into a bowl has brought smiles to our faces this week.

What's bringing a smile to your face right now?

4 comments:

  1. this week we smile when our son joins in a funny way Polish with English language. This week, his favorite word is "miś", which means teddy and "no way"
    in our gray and cold, so I love to watch pictures on your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cute!
      I miss the grey and the cold a little.

      Delete
  2. Peas...hmm. Don't give them nitrogen and don't plant them near onion family plants. I only have luck with them if they are grown in a cage, away from chooks, possums and currawongs.
    What is making me smile is the prospect of finishing my units early and having a week to NOT STUDY. Back to the last assignment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, no nitrogen and not near onions. Got it.
      Ooh a week of no study - I get it! Good luck with that.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.