11 March 2015

How To Live A Simple Country Life

I was having a look at where a lot of my traffic here on the blog comes from, and I'm always intrigued at the words used in a google search that finds my blog. Sometimes I google them too, just to see what else comes up, and where my blog sits amongst that. But this one, 'how to live a simple country life', kinda stuck out for me. And so I thought I'd share my completely blunt and honest answers to the question. Take it as seriously or not as you please. And obviously everyone's circumstances are different, and there is sometimes a lack of work available in the country, but to offset that, the cost of living is much cheaper too.

*****




How To Live A Simple Country Life.

1. You need to actually move to the country. You need to stop googling about it, stop reading blogs about it, stop number crunching about it, find yourself a cheap little place in a country town somewhere and start living it.

2. Once you get there, start growing your own food, as much as you can. But be realistic about how much you can actually grow, especially when starting out. Be kind to yourself if your ideals of bountiful harvests of home grown produce don't quite turn out like that, at least for a few years.

3. Get rid of your commercial cleaners. Keep a few must have things, then start making your own cleaners. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of velvet soap, bicarb soda and vinegar. And be kind to yourself once again when realise that you can't actually do it all, and worse, you realise that you don't want to do it all (so you choose a good eco option).

4. Make your food from scratch. Just like getting your vegetable garden established, it takes time to become accustomed to dealing with more food coming from your own garden. It takes longer. There is more generally more work involved. It tastes amazing. It is worth the extra effort. Wean yourself off prepackaged foods as much as you can. It's a process and it will take time.

5. Get involved in the community. Shop local as much as you can, if there are shops available. Make use of community facilities. Go along to community events, be involved in community events. It can be daunting at first moving to a small community where faces are familiar when you're used to being anonymous in a crowd of people. That's why being involved in the community is so important.

6. Realise at some point that you were completely mad to think that you wanted to move to the country, and think seriously about moving back to the city.

7. Slow down and start to enjoy the pace of country life. Stop to talk to locals in the street. Listen to a story from the lady at the post office, drive a bit slower, say hello to the man who delivers the gas bottles. It's addictive, once you developing a liking for a slower pace of life.

8. Get chickens. Chickens are amazing. They need a secure place to rest at night, and a decent sized chook run if you aren't letting them free-range. Watch them and be entertained. They can be messy if they get into your garden. Marvel at how good your frittata's taste using eggs from your own hens.

9. Write a blog about it!

Basically, if you're thinking about moving to the country, there comes a point where you either decide that you will do it, or you won't. I'm not saying don't do your homework about it. It's a big decision, a life changing decision. It seems there a lot of people living in cities wondering about changing it all up for a simple country life. It can totally be done, but like anything you think will make your life better - it looks glittery from the outside and may not sparkle quite how you think it should. But it sparkes, alright.

What do you think it takes to live a simple country life? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

14 comments:

  1. I come from the opposite direction to you (and still end up at the same place); I was raised in the bush, living a simple country life, vege garden chooks, milking cow and lots of work. As a young woman I decided to give town and then city living a try, I experienced close neighbours, small gardens and convenient shops. It almost sent me mad;I discovered a deep innate need for solitude that is just not possible in the company of other humans (even if they are in their own house next door) and I felt confined and pressured in a way I had not imagined possible. So I moved my family back to the bush.
    Since moving back here I have noticed a pattern in the comings and goings of new people in our area. It seems that every few years a new crop of families move to a bush block with the dream of being Amish (without the religion), some stay, but most do not last more than a few years. I think the expectation of how life will be is not matched by the reality and people get discouraged. To survive and thrive in the bush you need to keep in mind;
    Things are not convenient; you will run out of gas on a Sunday and the local shop is shut.
    Other beings live here too; and most of them want to eat your veges and chooks.
    Everyone will know your business; even though you only see them once every few months.
    When there is a crisis you are expected to contribute; it might be your house burnt down next year.
    Nobody cares what you have only what you can do; unless you have a tractor, that they care about.
    Relax and be yourself; everyone knows when you are 'bunging it on' anyway.
    I love living in the bush and I think you do too Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great list of things to keep in mind Jude, thanks for sharing it here. So true, all of what you say. Especially about tractors! I absolutely love living where I do; there's enough hustle and bustle and familiar faces on the main street during the day and in the evenings all you hear, mostly, is quiet. Except around holidays, when people converge on the caravan park nearby and you can hear the goings-on for miles.

      Delete
  2. What good advice, I heartily agree, do your research etc. but make a move and when you get there, connect with the community, otherwise you will still be the same , just in a different place and out of your comfort zone as well. It is easy to feel deprived and isolated from what you are used to but that is the whole idea, what you had and where you were was not making you happy or pleased with the way you were living your life or raising your children.
    Join something or even a few things, school P&C, tuckshop, class reading help, playgroup, church, CWA, Redcross, op shop volunteers, craft group, gardening group, your town will have something that will welcome a new member. Go to the local park, library or swimmimg pool, there are lots of places to meet people, especially if you have young kids. Ask for advice,who is a good plumber, what grows well here, what should I be planting just now, who can I buy my chooks from ?
    The first connections don't have to be your best friends, just a place in the web of connections that is your local community.

    Have a go.
    Once you couldn't drive a car, once you didn't know your way around a computer or know how to cook anything at all. Remember that.
    Have a go.... have a few goes....... that is how we all learned to do anything.
    What an adventure.....have fun, work hard, compromise, ask for advice and keep trying.

    Good luck on your journey to where you want to be and how you want to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice Margaret, thanks for sharing. I recall the our first night in our current house we realised the gas was leaking (not good!) so we had the local plumber here first thing the next morning. He was happy to have a chat, as most are, and it's true, all the little connections are so necessary. You find your place through these. In a lot of ways I think it's easier to find a real sense of 'community' in a smaller area because you end up knowing who people are. I recall living in a city and feeling completely isolated, all while surrounded by so many people.

      Delete
  3. Great list, I can't think of anything else, I think you've covered everything a city person needs to know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I'm sure there's more but that sums up the basics, for me anyway!

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely list.... I shared it on our facebook page. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, thank you so much for the share :)

      Delete
  5. Great post...I think I'd add "and get ready to slow down and enjoy your life" :) I don't live in the country as such, I live in a coastal town 3 hrs from the big smoke. We have neighbours on both sides and behind but the way we are situated I can go weeks not seeing them. We grow our own vegies, I cook from scratch and make my own cleaner and we also recently got our own 'girls'. I can't tell you how happy I am with our lot. It is such a different story to our lives 3 years ago - take out, wasting money on the must haves, rushing from there to there, keeping up with the Jones (who ever they are!!), chasing happiness to no evail.....The thing I love the most is you can just start with one simple thing to live a simple life, whether it be in the country or in your residence now. Bake bread or make citrus vinegar or learn to crochet or grow some salad and herb leaves....the rest just follow and the addiction grows....slow, simple deliberate living is now how I chase my happiness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point Jan, if you take out the word 'country' then just start living the simple life, wherever you may be. I'm still to start making bread, that's one mountain I am yet to conquer!
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  6. I only just realized you started posting again. My iPad icon still had your very sad post on it and when I finally clicked on it it came up with the current post. A good post and will help many people. Glad you've settled in and your garden is thriving. Love seeing kids in the veggie garden. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
    Ps start by making The New York Times 5 minute bread. Rhonda for m down to earth has written about it, I've got a post I did this year and also Jan above has made this bread and written about it too. Mix it up today to bake tomorrow. Anyone can make this bread. You will wonder why you waited. Use bakers flour and I test the temperature of my water so it doesn't kill the yeast. Warm water is not as specific to me as a temperature. Make it a goal, it's so easy. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We moved to the country after living in suburbia and on the edge of suburbia. I would add to the very good lists above:
    - realize that life will be different, after all isn't that why you moved?
    - you will need to travel to see family and friends but you soon get used to it and the bonus is they will come and stay with you from time to time
    - and I agree with point number 1 - do it. If it doesn't work out at least you tried and won't die wondering what it would be like. You can always move back to suburbia. Renting might be a good option if you want to try before you buy.
    - give it time. You need to settle in. One day you will walk down the street and realize you know just about everybody and they know you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased to see that there are a lot of people who are actually moving to the country instead to the big city and that is just great! You've described and cover everything in such details that probably there is nothing to add, thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photography is absolutely beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing... My view on Country House Plans & Designs has been completely redefined thanks to you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.