11 January 2016

Finish Something Old

I started working again on a crochet blanket that I started almost a year ago now I suppose. With yarns that I had to rush out and buy, about a year before that. It's been a slow one, that's for sure. But it felt so good to pick it up again, work out where I had left off, realise a mistake in the last piece I had been working on (probably why I stopped), undo the mistake and start going again. And now it is going again, I want to keep up the momentum and bring this blanket to life.

We're currently under a retrograde Mercury, if you're into your astrology you'll know what I'm talking about. Every three or four months, Mercury does this funny thing where it appears to be going backwards (it's never really going backwards, but from our view, it looks that way). It lasts for about three weeks. And the effect on us here on Earth, can also leave us feeling like we're going backwards - or not necessarily backwards, but going back to something, redoing, revisiting, revising. All good and helpful things really.

Mercury retrograde gets a pretty bad reputation from most sources - don't make travel plans, don't sign a contract, don't start anything new... don't don't don't! Blah. It is what it is and we can choose to use the energies to help us or we can fall into the negativity trap about it. I used to do the latter but these days I'm doing the former. Life whizzes past in a blur and any chance to go back and catch up on the things missed on the first pass is a good thing. Personally, I like contracts with a little wiggle room (or a lot!), so I'm all for signing contracts under Mercury reverse.

So why not make the most of the current astrological weather, and finish something old? Have you got any old projects sitting around waiting for 'some day'? I have more than enough, but I'll focus on my blanket project for now. It's a good way also to value what we already have, going back and seeing what we have left unfinished, rather than always rushing on to the next new thing. Simple, mindful, wonderful.

7 comments:

  1. Lots of UFOs (UnFinished Objects) in my craft cupboard. I don't think mine compares to my mother's though; she has a shed full. The shed was especially built to house her UFOs by my father, who got sick of tripping over them (Yes..she has a problem with goodbyes). One of those UFOs is a tiny jumper she began knitting for me when I was 2 (I'm now 47)it is still in its sealed plastic bag with the pattern and needles. Maybe I will go and get that bag and finish it. It can be a present for the next grandchild or child born in the family. That is if she will let it go (as I said...problem with letting go).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh UFO's all about the place for me too. Gosh, that's a lot of UFO's from your mum! Good luck with that!

      Delete
  2. I have two unfinished quilts, an ongoing large mosaic, quite a bit of knitting and a half written novel....yes I am a great starter...I'm going to use Jude's UFOs...way too many UFO's at my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a great starter... all there with the ideas, not so much the follow through.. but changing my ways! Good luck with all of yours.

      Delete
  3. I am working on knitting a blanket but I have not touched it for ages. I really should pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on knitting a blanket but I have not touched it for ages. I really should pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.