I hardly ever mention my shop here on the blog and I guess that stems from the old days (like, a year ago) when talking about crystals and metaphysical stuff was something I kept fairly private, I suppose because I often felt like it was an unusual interest, even though it was more than an interest, but still, a bit different. But since that side of life has become even more important (the spiritual aspect), talking about crystals just feels very normal now. Plus I do love talking about crystals, to pretty much anyone who will listen.
I started my shop almost a year ago now, probably spot on a year from the point where I had one of those flashes of inspiration to start the shop. At the time I didn't give any thought to how the shop would go, in terms of growth and success, other than that I didn't think I would make any money out of it in the first year. I was wrong, at some point in the second half of the year it started to build up momentum, and I started to see that I could grow this thing a bit bigger, and a bit bigger again. And I learned there is a point where it would be too big for just me to manage, which is also handy to know, as I'm now positioning it to be at a sustainable level for me to manage physically, and which provides a little income as well.
The thing it always comes back to for me is that I just love working with crystals, and sharing crystals, and there is a part of me, being a Gemini and all, that loves and thrives on the commerce side of things. I have fun with it. There have also been times in the past year where I've wondered if it's all worth it, but in getting through those times, I still say a big yes. It is worth it. And of course my shop has evolved over the past year, and will continue to evolve, although I do feel that I've found my 'place' in the crowded market that is online crystal shops. One big lesson for me in business is that when you're in your element, there is no competition. There is space for everyone to do what they do and it is always worth supporting other businesses in the same market. I honestly feel that the very competitive mode of doing business is outdated.
Crystals are such a huge part of my everyday life. Most of the time I have too many little crystals stuffed into my pockets, just bringing with me whatever energy I feel I need or want to connect to in my days. There is usually a crystal under my pillow at night, there are crystals on the bedside table, on the mantlepiece, the fridge, shelves, the bench, everywhere. And then shop crystals on top of that. I will openly admit that it's become a bit too much, but the collection continues to grow. I often meditate with a crystal in my hand (the non-dominant hand, as this is the one that receives energy) and it is an excellent way to really connect with the energy of a crystal. Some of my most profound meditative experiences have come from meditating with crystals. So I guess I'm lucky in that my shop is based on something I myself am truly passionate about.
It does take work though and right now I've got a mountain of crystals waiting to be listed, a bunch of orders waiting to be packed and posted and a bunch of administrative work to catch up on. All of which I love doing, but gosh it would be easier if there were 30 hours in a day instead of 24. Anyway I thought I would start talking about the shop a bit more in this space, so each Saturday I'll be doing my Shop Talk post. If you haven't yet had a look at the shop, hop on over and take a look! It's a work in progress, just like everything else, and it's one that I love.

Your shop has helped me out many times; from advice on which crystals to buy, to tracking down rarer ones for me (or my family). I love your work, and I look forward to reading more about your crystal journey here.
ReplyDeleteJude I'm so grateful for your support of my shop, it has really meant so much to me. I've loved the challenge of finding some rarer pieces for you.
DeleteI'm happy for you that your shop is doing well. I hope it continues to grow and allows you to support yourself and William doing something that you love.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jan, I'm lucky that my shop is helping us out these days. I'm always inspired to do it as I love it, so it just works for us.
DeleteSo glad to hear that your shop is doing well. I definitely understand the hesitancy to talk about it. I had the same feelings about talking about Tarot at first, and then at some point I was like... Eh, screw it. My passions are my passions and if someone finds it weird, that's on them.
ReplyDeleteI'm finding I have a newfound love for crystals. My practical side wants to be all, "I just like pretty rocks," but if I'm really honest I do find that they do help a lot with shifting my energy.
Oh I was the same with Tarot too! But once you just decide to go with it, you start to find others likeminded!
DeleteI find crystals amazing to work with, I just love the constant variety of different energies to connect to and how they can help us.