It's Friday, and it's the end of the week. Here's a few things that kept me smiling this week..
1. First Egg!
Late last year, we got chickens. Five little bantams, only 8 weeks old and super cute. We're down to four, having sadly lost one to a respiratory infection. Anyway, by our best guess the remaining girls [hmm, see No.3 below] should be about 16 weeks-ish by now. Turns out one of them is likely to be a bit older, as this week we got our first egg! And they've been coming every day since. We can't eat them yet as we gave them a dose of sulfur for suspected cocci infection a couple of weeks ago. Soon enough though, this will be my morning breakfast!
2. Chill Out Time
The last week was pretty hectic, with a weekend in Melbourne, running around with errands to be done closer to home, and I had an exam for my course [and all the associated procrastination that studying for an exam entails]. And you know what? I'm tired. So finally, FINALLY this week I got the chance to kick back and unwind... with a soothing cup of chamomile tea and the current issue of Frankie. To get me feeling all warm and fuzzy and inspired. It worked. Life's good.
3. A Hen Became a Rooster
Continuing with the chicken theme, we discovered that our little Georgette is actually a George. Pottering in the back garden this morning, I noticed Georgie throw her head back and crow. Now I'm pretty sure hens aren't meant to do that... turns out she's a he. And it explains some other behaviour quirks of this 'hen'. Like sitting on the other chickens. Anyway this means two things - firstly, that we will get baby chickens [cute!] and secondly, a lot of those baby chickens will be boys. And boys don't lay eggs, and I'm a vegetarian and an animal lover, and I suspect I'm going to find the situation somewhat confronting.
Do you know how difficult it is to photograph chickens? What's been making you smile this week?
I try drowing chicken is difficult. Photos are great.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely have trouble with that!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletecongrats on your first egg :) dropped by via the followers to friends blog hop and now follow you on GFC, see you back at my blog :)
ReplyDeleteAngela x
http://british-bargains-and-beauty.blogspot.co.uk
How wonderful! It's a dream of mine to own chickens! How difficult are they to care for?
ReplyDeleteWell apart from dealing with a respiratory infection, and having a hen turn out to be a boy, they're pretty easy! They eat pellets and kitchen scraps, we leave them to wander in the yard all day, and at night they take themselves back to their chook house to roost for the night. I say do it, get chickens! They're so nice to have around :-)
Deletei'm pretty sure hens aren't supposed to do that !! hilarious ...
ReplyDeleteLOVE your mug in that second photo. How adorable is it?
ReplyDelete