You probably know that I like to grow my own food as much as possible, and this summer just gone, I tried my hand at growing potatoes in the garden. I've never grown them before so it was a bit of an experiment for me, inspired by Wilma next door with her massive mounds of dirt and sprawling potato plants [and 40+ years experience...]. So I got my hands on a $2 bag of seed potatoes from a farmers market in late October, and ended up planting out 17 seed potatoes.
Anyway they all eventually sprouted, and grew in to lovely lush plants. Not as big as Wilma's mind, but hey, in years to come I think they will be [as our soil improves, the more we condition it]. I cared for them lovingly, and piled up extra pea straw around the plants to provide extra coverage for the potatoes growing close to the surface, so they wouldn't get exposed to light and go green. And Charles did most of the watering to keep them alive and well in the heat, when my motivation was lacking.
We've had a couple of tasters now, where we would sacrifice a plant here and there and dig up all the potatoes from the soil under it. Some of them were huge. And they tasted really good, really very different from store bought potatoes. I couldn't tell you what variety we actually planted out because I don't know, but they are beautifully soft and creamy when cooked. And the really big guys are great for making potato chips [fries] with. And I made these Crispy Sage Potatoes with Fried Eggs to feed the in laws [I can say that now] - divine.
Apart from the odd small harvest though, I had just let the plants go. A few reasons for this - the physical work started to be much harder on my body with this growing belly, and the relentless heat had me cowering inside, and the total lack of rain was leaving the ground baked like clay. Actually that's exactly what it was, baked clay. Not good for digging in. But I finally thought I'd better go out and harvest what I could. I left it a bit late really, some losses to bugs and grubs but it's still a good harvest.
At a guesstimate [which is part actual and part made up] I'd say we've come in with around 20kg of potatoes. As in, I was weighing the harvests and keeping a list to get a total for the season, but right now there is a massive bag of potatoes and I'm not in the mood for weighing them. It was hard enough digging them all up. And some of those are green, so they can't be eaten [can you pick it in the image above?] and some have been munched on by garden critters. But there are again some really big, good looking potatoes!
What I want to know is, is it possible, or even desirable, to grow enough of our own potatoes to be able to sustain ourselves through the winter? How many potato plants would we have to have in order to achieve this? Is it something that would be worth doing? And I'm assuming we would be able to store them appropriately. What did people do before mass production farming? I would love to be able to grow enough to not have to buy store potatoes ever. Without turning into a full time potato farmer in the process.
Do you grow your own? Have you got any tips to share?
Those look wonderful! I have never grown potatoes before so I really don't have any advice there, but I think it would be great if you could grow enough to go through a winter. I might make that a goal in the future. I love potatoes, haha
ReplyDeleteI would love to be able to grow enough food to not have to buy from a supermarket - life goal! I love potatoes too, strangely they've been the thing I've craved most being pregnant haha! I wake up in the morning desperate for a baked potato.
Deleteoh how i love potatoes! my husband jokes i'm going to turn into one because i eat them so much. as i live in the states - i'm opposite of you so in the next month or so, we will be tending our soil and getting our gardens together. we had hoped to have them done last year, but it didn't quite work out. we completely took out our entire front lawn full of flower gardens and replaced them with beds for growing veggies. its all laid out. we only have two more beds to make, one for potatoes and another long strip. kevin was reading you can make "potato boxes" so we are going to try that this year.
ReplyDeleteapparently you build a 4x4x4 box with slat sides and the potatoes will grow in this crazy box and you can just reach in the sides to get them. this is the theory anyway! so we are going to hope it works.
in the next week or two i'm going to start planning out where everything is going etc. so excited to be able to supplement our trips to the farmers market with our own veggies. we've had a small side garden..but this is our entire front yard.. make sure you watch the progress as once the weather breaks i'll begin posting about it!
xx
trisha
veranellies.blogspot.com
I can't wait to see some photos! Sounds amazing :) I'm the same here, I've had small vegie gardens before but this year was the first time I've had lots of space to really go nuts with it. The whole vegie garden is still a work in progress, we're putting in nice neat borders and things now. I'm planning our autumn planting now, I just want the weather to cool off a bit so as I can get out and start working. I need to clear out all the summer plants, they're looking pretty spent.
DeleteI've heard of potato boxes - and apparently you can keep piling up the dirt around the plant and the potatoes just keep on growing right under the surface or something? I'm sure it will work. It's so cool rummaging around in the dirt and pulling out potatoes. And you probably won't turn into one!
Very keen to see how the garden progresses :)
xx
those sage potatoes sound so yummy! I don't know much about gardening at all, but I'm going to try my first one at our new house this season!
ReplyDeleteCool! There is only one way to learn about gardening :) and that is by doing. Have fun - love to see some pics when you get to it!
DeleteLooks great. I can imagine the taste. I miss the taste. My grandmother always had their own potatoes.
ReplyDelete