19 May 2013

Chickens and Baby Chickens

When we moved into our little house in the country, we knew we wanted to have chooks. It took most of a year before we finally got around to building our chook house, but finally late last year it was ready, and so were we. Off to the market we went, to find our little flock [is that what you call a bunch of chickens?].

We came away with five 8 week old bantam hens, or so we thought. We lost one to sickness [RIP Silvia], then it became apparent that Georgette and Cynthia were not bantams at all, and then it became apparent that Georgette was in fact George. So now we have two little bantams, Gloria and Bridget, an isa brown [Cynthia] and an australorp rooster [George]. We knew George was going to be trouble, but we were too soft to do anything about it [ie turn him into Sunday lunch].

And then Gloria started sitting on eggs. And then last week those eggs hatched. And now we have three little baby chickens running around in the chook house. Goodness knows what they'll turn out to be [fingers crossed for all girls]. But now that they're here, it's hard not to get a bit attached. They're really cute with their tiny beaks and their little cheep cheeps. And George is still here too, seems we can't even give him away. He is a fine looking bird. He's growing on me. As long as he stays out of the vegie garden, which he doesn't. 
Cynthia and George. Not bantams.


Proud Dad.
Gloria and babies.
The babies have been named Phillipa, Bernadette and Frankie. We're not sure which is which yet. But all of them can become a boy name, if need be...

6 comments:

  1. Oh the surprise of getting a rooster. My in laws got some americanas and this really cute fluffy tiny white one. I can't remember the breed, but they were so excited to finally get one. It turned out to be a rooster. They don't put up with mean roosters and soon after he started crowing he turned real mean, so they killed him. I don't think I could kill any chicken, so I know what you mean. I couldn't turn them into dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that's the standard thing to do with an unwanted rooster... we just can't bring ourselves to do it! He's actually not too bad, apart from leading the rest of the chickens astray [wandering all over the place, across the road, into the neighbours, not good!]. He isn't mean or anything. He's pretty good really. Just trouble at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog and love it! I've been dying to get some chickens of my own... just need to expand our yard first! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it :)
      Yes get chickens! They're a world of entertainment!

      Delete
  3. hehehe complicated ;-). A small so cute and colorful. Zazwyczj I saw yellow chicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are teaching me Polish! One yellow chick :-) I hope grows to be a white hen.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.