I was looking back at a bunch of photos from the past year over the weekend, and reflecting on just how much has changed. I thought I'd share some images from my little vegie garden with you. It's been slightly over a year since I first put a shovel on the ground to start building this garden [late July 2012 I started work, around the time we found out we were expecting a baby!]. So this entire garden was built during my pregnancy, and there were definitely times when a lot happened [when I had the energy for it] and other blocks of time when nothing happened, as I was nauseous and exhausted. I guess in looking back, the ongoing commitment to improving this garden has been the key for me. Sometimes I can't get out there for a month, or more, but I just keep going back when I can and doing what I can. Which is exactly how it goes these days.
 |
| The start. Westringias just about to be planted along the fence. |
 |
| Spring. Lots of digging done. |
 |
| Spring. Lots more digging still to be done. |
It's also interesting to look back on the different seasons. We've lived here for almost 18 months now, so we're still learning about the microclimates we've got here. And what it's like when there's lots of rain, and what it's like when there's none. Last winter was cold and grey and drizzly, but looking back there really wasn't a lot of rainfall. This winter has seen much more rain, and many more sunny days. The ground is quite boggy in places. It's such a stark contrast to the summer we had, which was the driest in this area for about 40 years, according to some of the local farmers. Which is nice to know, because if that was a normal summer, I'd be wanting to sell up and move I think. It was characterised by hot days, drying winds and water tanks running out of water. Hand watering the garden, losing plants and watching cracks open up in the ground. And a baby belly.
 |
| Early summer. Looking good. |
 |
| January. Hot and dry. |
 |
| January. Did I mention it was dry? |
I'm enjoying watching the seasons here. I've been somewhat of a gypsy for my adult life, not staying in one place too long. I've always planted out a vegie garden, but moved on again before a full year rolls around. It's very exciting for me going into my second spring/summer in this garden - it's something I've never done before! Finally I'll get to reap the rewards of last year's work to improve soils, grow hedging plants and use knowledge gained of what worked and what didn't. And when to have potatoes in, and tomatoes, and where the best place to plant beans might be [protected from the hot summer wind which I'm sure will return]. And this time around there is an amazing little person to help me [as well as the amazing big person who is the biggest help in the world]. It truly is a wonderful feeling to watch our garden slowly take shape and become what we have dreamed it to be.
 |
| Autumn. Just days before baby William arrived. |
 |
| Winter. After 4 months of being new parents. |
I'm looking forward to the arrival of spring, still a few weeks off here. I'm very excited about bringing this little garden back up to scratch and enjoying an abundant vegie garden once more.
Thank you for sharing your year in the garden. It does seem that we all do our gardening in random blocks of activity when time and circumstance allows, but I always like to think that I have left my gardens in a better state than they were for someone else to harvest when I have had to move on.
ReplyDeleteYou will see a huge difference in the growing capacity this year I am sure.
Loved the pictures of your garden over the year...I've had no luck during winter after a bumper crop and abundant garden over summer....only managed leeks, onions, garlic and beetroot which are all just about ready....everything else turned into chicken food as bugs were certainly making themselves very unwelcome on the chard, spinach, broccoli, cabbage and other leafy greens.
ReplyDeletei LOVE the design of your garden! i've been wanting to rework my space and haven't been able to figure out exactly what i want. this looks perfect!
ReplyDeleteI had originally thought of doing a mandala garden but I just couldn't get into it. So these are mostly north-south running rows, with a couple of east-west running rows on the ends. Seems to be going ok!
Delete