9 August 2013

Frankie Baby

Frankie and Gloria - baby and mum.

I've mentioned a couple of times about how we had some 'unplanned' baby chickens [thanks to our 'unplanned' rooster, George], and the mother hen of the group, Gloria started sitting on eggs. Well back in about mid-May, three of those eggs hatched and out came some tiny chicks. Two blacks and one yellow. Sadly, the two blacks both didn't make it. I think they both didn't survive the cold. And to be honest, we had no idea what to do with them - we are by no means chicken breeders! Basically we left mother hen to do her thing, and just made sure she had a sheltered spot. Anyway, it is now roughly 12 weeks later, and the little yellow chick has blossomed into a lovely looking... chicken!

Naturally we have fingers and toes crossed that Frankie is a girl, and doesn't start crowing and become Frank. So we make sure to call her 'her', like that's going to make all the difference. We couldn't give away the first rooster, goodness knows we don't need two of them out there. Anyway, she has grown into a fine looking bird, in my opinion. Her mum Gloria is part silky, and Frankie actually seems to have more of the silky look about her than Gloria does. Although Gloria still has more foot feathers than Frankie. Proud dad George is nowhere to be seen in Frankie's looks. And we have no idea what the colouring is, as both mum and dad are black chickens. 
Strutting like mum.

Isn't she pretty? She's just started making proper cluck cluck noises instead of baby cheep cheep noises. And she's officially part of the group now, albeit the lowest ranking member. The whole time Gloria was sitting on her eggs and then growing Frankie up, the other three were pretty much a roaming gang of three. Poor old Gloria and Frankie got a bit hen-pecked when they started venturing outside and joining the others. And now the five of them all cruise around together. In some ways we're back where we started, we originally bought 5 bantams [alleged bantams might I add] at the market and lost a little white chicken, Sylvia, so it's sort of like going full circle. Sort of. 

Chickens. I am learning so much about chickens. These images are from a few days ago when Gloria and Frankie got stuck on our front porch when the rain started, so they waited it out. One thing I do not love about chickens is having chicken poo in places where I do not want to find chicken poo. Like the front porch. I see more jute webbing and prayer flags happening in the near future. Oh and the cutest thing is that Frankie still hops in the laying box with Gloria when she sits. Gloria really needs to put her foot down about that. She's a good mum, that Gloria.

9 comments:

  1. My dad was a member of a poultry club in Sydney and we have had chickens from before I was born; my earliest memories are of 'helping' candle eggs in front of the big incubators. Having said that...I am not the expert on chooks my dad is. I would like to share my experienced-but-not-expert opinion though
    Your Frankie is definitely a girl (sigh of relief). Looking at the photos it is hard to tell but both Gloria and Frankie look like hard feather not soft feather birds (meaning they have fully formed, water shedding feathers) so they are probably not silky but may have a little touch of some other pouffy hair-styling breed, like houdin or Polish.
    Frankie is wheaten in colour but would be classified as a dark wheaten because of the dark tail; both her parents must carry the gene for that colour.
    Having given you all that useless information, I would like to agree they are very cute. Baby chickens are such a joy and I love having them around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh of relief! We were (justifiably) worried about getting another rooster...
      Interesting since you say that about the feathers, I can see it now -they are not soft at all like a silky! So the other breeds are looking more likely.
      Thanks for the information! My chicken knowledge is growing all the time, all the little pieces help.
      I just saw Gloria teaching Frankie how to have a dust bath this morning. So cute.

      Delete
  2. I think the mother - daughter relationship stays strong; we had one little group of grandmother-mother-daughter who slept on the same roost and spent all day together for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That second photograph is just fabulous!! <3 What a lovely story though.

    I agree about the poo though! *shock* I had no idea they were such poo machines! I'm sure my compost will now have a lot more oomph but outside the back door, on the patio, on the lawn where the boys roll about? Not so keen! Chooks are lovely things though. I can't really imagine not having them now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the outdoor table, on the doormat where you're supposed to clean your feet, on the gravelled areas... I hear you!
      But they are cute, they really bring so much to the yard. It would feel too quiet without them now.

      Delete
  4. :-) :-) I love to read about your hens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "She" definitely looks like a girl to me :) We have a Frankie chicken too, who was given to us for free as she hadn't laid an egg and was possibly a rooster. She lays lovely blue eggs, so that was lucky! Couldn't imagine life without chickens either, it's lovely to sit and watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankie must be a good chicken name :) Actually I really like Frank as a chicken name too. I can picture myself yelling out 'Frank! Frank! Come on Frank' in the back yard. Just as well she's a girl.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.