4 August 2013

Garden Share Collective: Late Winter Happenings

Once again I'm joining in with Lizzie from Strayed from the Table and a bunch of other gardening bloggers to take part in the Garden Share Collective and share the latest happenings in my little corner of the world. Enjoy!
Keeping the chooks out. And adding some good karma?

Let me start this post by saying - jute webbing and prayer flags are a huge success at keeping our vegetable garden chicken-free. I'm stoked - my problem is solved and I'm happily pottering in the vegie garden without the worry my work will be undone by rogue chickens. The roll of jute webbing cost me about $11, a cheap and easy solution if you ask me [we already had a chook wire fence but they just hopped straight over it]. And it works because chickens don't like things that flap! After having it up for a month, I think they've already forgotten about going in the vegie garden at all. No wing clipping required. So that's one big job ticked off 'the list'.

Now that I'm back into it all, I've spent some time digging over a couple of the beds from last summer. I discovered that my soils have improved significantly from what they were a year ago [see this post] and I'm very happy about that! I've planted out seeds of broad beans, spinach, spring onions and lettuce. Goodness knows if they'll do anything but if nothing else, I'm confident the broad beans will come through. We've had a pretty mild winter, and no frosts since I planted them. We've also had a lot of rain lately, and some brilliant sunny days in between. So conditions are good. There's also some potato sprouting where I grew it last year. I'm leaving it to do it's thing!
Always plentiful, good old silverbeet.
Looking happy; sage and flat leaf parsley.

Growing well now is the silverbeet [from last summer!], flat leaf parsley, sage and the broccoli is still giving us lots of little heads. We're harvesting regularly from these, which is helping my motivation no end. And eating lots of silverbeet and lentil soup. The fruit trees are preparing to blossom, they'll be another month or two off at least. We've got a red delicious, a golden delicious, a fig and a white peach tree, all of which we planted last year. We were hoping to get another couple of fruit trees in this year, but so far, we haven't. The lucerne trees along our fence line are about to flower, which I'm looking forward to as they look really beautiful in full bloom.
The red delicious... getting ready to blossom.
The rain gauge that never gets emptied, on the corner post.
The plan for this month - dig, clean up and compost! I want to get the rest of our garden under control, by which I mean borders on beds, removal of the weeds that have taken over, digging over the rest of the beds from last summer and putting out some of our lovely looking compost. Maybe even some horse poo if we take a trip to visit my mother [keeper of the lovely horses that produce the poo]. I also want to get seed potatoes in the ground. My neighbour Wilma told me last year that potatoes need to be in by mid-August if you want new potatoes for Christmas. Which I do. I'm inclined to take Wilma's word for it as she's been growing vegies next door for 40-odd years.
The pretty beds; peas are planted along the trellis.
The not-so-pretty beds; shaming myself into action.

So that's pretty much where my vegie garden is at these days. I must acknowledge the assistance I've had from my mum who's been coming over once a week to mind William for an hour while I work like mad in the garden. Having a monthly blog to write also helps as I need to have something to write about! Thanks for reading, and be sure to head over to the Garden Share Collective and see what other bloggers are up to in their gardens. I can't wait for next month when I'll have a beautifully cleaned up vegie garden to show you!

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing your garden, it's coming along nicely. My garden turned into a jungle when I had my first baby; there aren't enough days in the week or hours in the day when they are little. Keep at it....how is the study going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like everything these days - just a little bit at a time, and hopefully all the little bits add up to a big bit! That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

      Delete
  2. Looking good. Glad you got your chickens out of the garden. I know have to build a fence to keep mine out, they just found it the other week and think that eating cabbage is their gift from me. Cheeky buggers. Your silverbeet is looking really healthy. I look forward to seeing how you go over the next month readying your garden for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having chickens, they are wonderful to watch in the garden, they make me laugh, they lay eggs, they're pretty friendly little creatures, but I tell you what, when they get in the vegie garden uninvited, I am not so happy.. Good luck keeping yours out.

      Delete
  3. Well done on finding a solution to keep the chooks at bay. Great idea. I wish I'd read this a few months back! Your sage looks fabulous and lush. I look forward to seeing your progress next month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I wish I'd known it a few months back! Would have saved me many feelings of despair at watching my carefully-planned garden get overrun by those chickens.

      Delete
  4. hello from a fellow garden share collective-r! i too love that lizzie's great collective inspires us all to write and share our experiences.
    i can see why your chooks would want to get into the garden - your silverbeet looks so lush, they would love picking at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did... but worse than that, they went digging and scratching through all the beds (ok, that's actually pretty good for the beds) and left a complete mess behind them - pea straw everywhere!

      Delete
  5. Some great photos there. Take your time - don't feel bad about leaving your garden to fallow, sometimes that's exactly what it needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it doesn't seem to be doing any harm, the soils should be in better shape than last year anyway. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Wow I hope our silverbeet grows as well as yours as it looks great. Agree if I didnt have the motivation of a monthly blog update Im sure my garden would still look like the jungle it did before I spent a long afternoon weeding. Good luck with the seeds looking forward to seeing how the new beds go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That silverbeet just keeps on giving and giving - we pick the leaves, it rains, plenty more leaves appear, repeat. It's great stuff.
      Yes if it wasn't for this garden sharing business there's every chance I wouldn't have touched the garden all winter! Sad but true.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for giving me a look at your garden - even in a time of winter hibernation, gardens are interesting. Love the Prayer Flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love seeing what other people get up to in their gardens. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Love the chook solution too! I would love fruit trees - we have a lime and have plans for an orange, but apples are just not a chance here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so relieved it's working. It really is quite brilliant.
      We've got a little dwarf orange out the front of ours that isn't looking so happy right now.

      Delete
  9. something beautiful and I envy your garden {;-)} but impatiently waiting for more posts about your garden. For now I'm glad my mint in a pot in front of the apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pots are great for growing in! I don't have any mint... I need to grow some.
      And thank you :)

      Delete
  10. You have been creative in keeping the chickens out of the vegetable garden. Jute is a fantastic concept. It is wonderful sharing our ideas and plantings through the GSC and thank you for such beautiful photographs. I can almost reach into the screen and pluck out some spinach which is sensationally healthy. Your sage too, mine died back but yours is abundant :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was desperate... I think desperation forces creativity!
      I thought the sage was gone a month or so back, probably because of frost I guess, but it's looking pretty good right now. Very happy with it!

      Delete
  11. After seeing your post a few weeks back about the jute to keep the chooks out, I thought I'd give it a try. We'd resorted to twiggy pea sticks stuck into the top of the fence to keep them in their run, but it wasn't pretty and my peas were in need of the sticks! Not having any jute I cut old jeans up into strips and sewed them (very badly!) together, end on, and used that. So far (two weeks now I think) the chooks have not escaped ... hurrah!

    So thanks for the idea :o)

    Love to see the pics of your garden and what you're growing. Your winter sounds like a slightly cooler (and not much cooler!) than a UK summer lol!! I've just put in kale, beetroot and chard plugs in the hope that the beets will be big enough to harvest before it gets too cold and hopefully the kale and chard will keep going through the winter, just about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great idea, what a wonderful way to use up unwanted jeans! I'm sure I have some that could go down that path too, thanks for sharing :)
      Normally we get a few more frosts overnight in winter, we had a few earlier on this year, but I am totally not complaining about the lack of them. Not a fan at all. Summers here can be pretty harsh though!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.