Joining in again with Lizzie of Strayed from the Table and a whole bunch of other gardening bloggers to bring you my next Garden Share Collective post.
I mentioned last month that we were moving, and here we are - moved, and with a new vegetable garden to develop. It's actually not a garden that's new to us, this was our old house and we previously grew vegies in this spot. As you can see from the images though, there is only one survivor to suggest that a bountiful vegie garden was once here. My good friend silverbeet. I have always had success growing silverbeet, but this is by far and away the biggest specimen I have ever seen.
So, lets just say that we've eaten a lot of silverbeet in the past week that we've been here, and it still hasn't made a dent in this plant. I don't think I'll be pulling it out, it's obviously quite happy in this spot and not causing any harm. And it's almost two years old! And that's about all we've been harvesting lately [and back at the old house, we were harvesting - silverbeet]. Very much looking forward to more plantings and the summer harvests.
Jobs for this coming month include giving the whole vegie garden bed a good dig over [the new chook house is temporarily sitting here to help us out] and getting some plantings happening. I'm hoping to get some potato planted, if it's not too late [and I'm a bit gutted to leave my old garden as all 17 of my plants had come up beautifully]. I'd also like to get some carrot and beetroot into the ground, and possibly some beans, weather permitting. Tomatoes might have to wait until the following month, as I suspect we'll get a few cold nights still.
Well that's me for this month, not much to report really, other than I'm starting from [almost] scratch, again. And here's what I think was the biggest leaf off the silverbeet plant. I'm thinking about a post titled '20 different ways to eat silverbeet'. What do you think?
Thank Heavens for the brick for a scale - I thought it was a doll's house, not a hen house. Silverbeet Lasagne coming up!
ReplyDeleteI had a doll house just like it when I was a girl... thankfully we have small chickens (only 2 now) who sleep in there. Bit of a downsize for them but they're happy anyway. Yes every meal somehow contains silverbeet these days!
Deletei think you win the biggest silverbeet leaf by far!! yes, let's have a silverbeet post. i remeber doign a post on it early on, but time to revisit it! let's make that our challenge.
ReplyDeleteseriously though, that is a grat clump of silverbeet - it's obviosuly very happy there
You know, I thought I would have the biggest silverbeet leaf for sure, but when I picked it, well - it didn't look so big any more and now I'm not so sure... Biggest plant though, definitely!
Deletesorry for typos... working on a teeny iPad...
ReplyDeleteGosh that is a monster silverbeet plant (I thought the chook house was a miniature one at first!) - this is my first month joining the collective and it has been fun meeting new gardening friends.
ReplyDeleteThe chook house was an emergency 'we're moving house and have no chicken accommodation' purchase - it's cozy but they seem happy! They're out roaming during the days at least. Welcome to the collective! Thanks for stopping by :)
DeleteIt looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you setting up your new garden (and a lot of work too).
ReplyDeleteIts huge, I have never seen a silverbeet that big ever. Ours never lasts the distance, the heat or rain usually kill them. It is going to be really interesting to see how you convert the garden over the coming months. Yes definitely do a post about 20 things to do with silerbeet - as sometimes I run out of ideas what to do with it.
ReplyDeleteHoly crap! That thing is just wild!! Love it, lots of silverbeet and feta pie for you :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you're settling in well :)
ReplyDeleteYou know, we may be on the opposite side of our lovely planet, but we have the exact same chook house!! We have 5 hybrid girls and they're more than happy in there at night - we do have the double run attached and covered for when it rains and a large open run for them too though!
Looking forward to garden photos as you progress.
That's one healthy silver beet! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. It will be a busy gardening month for you!
ReplyDeleteNice house for chickens. I came here I told my husband that I wanted to have a small garden at the chicken cottage. Unfortunately, it's been three years are over, and I do not have it on :-). I have to satisfy my mint in a pot outside and strawberries in pot on a windowsill which always gnaw our cat :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you will have creating a new garden and with such a magnificent silverbeet plant to build around, it will come together beautifully. What an excellent chicken coop. The grass looks lush, so I am sure your garden will prosper with a little TLC and time (that elusive element). Enjoy creating your new green patch :D
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe how huge your silverbeet is! And it's even 2 years old! Wow. What have you been putting into the soil?
ReplyDelete