2 November 2013

Happenings of Late


Our little Frankie chicken is now all grown up - she started laying eggs about a week ago. Frustratingly, we had just wormed them so had to wait a week before we could start to collect the eggs for eating. But now we are, and they're lovely little bantam eggs, with a good hard shell and bright yellow yolks. She's now sitting in her nest every day too. Her mum Gloria did the same thing when she first started laying. A bit haphazard, inclined to wander away and forget about the nest, but then return to sitting. We think this will pass pretty soon, but when it happens again, we'd like to put some fertilised eggs under her.

I've been snatching every spare minute to do some jobs in the garden. There isn't much to show for my efforts, but the vegie garden is starting to become just that, a vegie garden. And finally, finally I have the beginnings of a herb garden. I can't tell you how many years I've wanted to plant a herb garden for, and now it's finally happening. No order, no planning. I'm just planting out those things most urgently in need of a home, in places that are the easiest/best spot for right now. So if they have to move in the future, then I'm ok with that. At least it's a start. Rosemary, mint and chamomile so far.

Making way for my herb garden are quite a few succulents. I thought I'd make use of the multitude of garden pots I have floating around and rehome a lot of them, since they are easily moved. So I still don't know what I'm going to do with them [maybe I'll just stick them out the front on the street with a 'free' sign and hope they dissapear]. I might try a few indoors, we've been trying to add more plants to the house to improve the indoor air quality of late. I've been struggling to find nice indoor pots [not plastic] - why do the only pots you can buy these days come with a fake plant and no drainage holes?

My days are more hectic than I thought possible. I suspect they may become even more hectic. Keeping up with this 7 month old baby is hard work, and he's not yet fully mobile. Day time naps seem to be ever shrinking. How does he not need the sleep? Goodness knows I need it! I tried to explain to him how good daytime naps are but he's not buying it. But this is also such a lovely stage he's at, exploring lots of food with our baby led weaning and getting out and about more. A weekly baby rhyme time session at the library with other babies is one of the highlights at the moment.

I made my next batch of soap. It looks wonderful, better than the first. I'm nearly finished crocheting another dishcloth [that has taken waaaay too long]. I'm spending lots of time in the kitchen, which I need to get better at managing [hello large batch cooking]. I've been getting a weekly ride on my bike. I'm missing time to read blogs as there has hardly been any lately [time for reading or writing this blog]. I love right now but I also look forward to a slightly less hectic pace of life.

What's been happening in your life of late?

8 comments:

  1. You are so bussy.
    When my son is older I have a less time :-)
    You have show another batch of you saup.
    Joanna
    Be Creative Mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I guess I can get used to having less and less time! I will post soup, we have been eating lots of soup lately :-)

      Delete
    2. heheh :-) This error is not the worst. Sometimes I go crazy well, finally this is my third year in Scotland ;-)

      Delete
  2. If memory serves....it is hectic right up until they start school. Well done on the gardening though. Maybe you could see if a local school group wants to sell your potted succulents (it never hurts to develop a relationship with the school before William starts). Congratulations on Frankie laying; I would wait until she goes clucky next year before putting eggs under her though, she will sit much better then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea about the school, I might have a look into that (provided they live in the pots). Yes we're hoping Frankie will be up and about again soon, this is exactly what her mum did and on her second broody spell she had the chicks. Maybe once the harshness of summer is over...

      Delete
  3. Love the photo of the succulents - I am just rediscovering terracotta pots, but making sure I seal them from the inside with a good terracotta sealant - three times! And I just stockpile my plastic pots, especially the smaller ones, until I can give something away in them. But the "on the nature strip" method may well work. Or do you have a freecycle over that way?
    Here is mine - not very active lately. I feel like starting a garden one. Just for plants, pots and equipment
    http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gippslandfreecycle/info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I've not seen this freecycle thing before, what a great idea! I don't know if there's one around, but I'll look into it. Yes they would look nice in some terracotta pots, I'll definitely keep some in nice pots around here.

      Delete
  4. You're making soap now too? Dang, you're just so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.