4 November 2013

Garden Share Collective: Slowly Slowly

Here we are at November already, and it's time for the next instalment of the Garden Share Collective hosted by Lizzie of Strayed from the Table. If you haven't been over to take a look at the collective and check out some of the other gardens, it's well worth doing. I've come to realise there is a wealth of knowledge amongst these keen gardeners and I'm always open to picking up some tips and tricks from these fellow bloggers.

Anyway, my vegie garden for this month. Well it's slowly coming together. We moved back into our old house about 5 weeks ago now and I thought it would be a much faster process to re-establish our vegie garden. I guess having a baby makes progress a bit slower! Still, it is happening, and that's the main thing.

So far I've cleared out weeds from about a third of the garden area, and planted out seedlings of zucchini [which got attacked by snails], beetroot and lettuce. I've had the age old problem again of chickens digging up the garden, but with only two girls here and one now on the lay, I've got some breathing space there while we work out once again how to keep them out.

I've also been creating a herb garden in another section of our garden. Currently it is completely overgrown, but beneath the towering weeds and roses [not ones nice enough to keep there], succulents and lilies, are little garden paths and lots of good rocks to work with. Currently planted is my rosemary, some mint from my mum's place and chamomile [looking forward to homegrown chamomile tea!]. 

So I've got a few more busy weeks of clearing and planting ahead of me. We took a trip to Bunnings yesterday to find some indoor plants and came home hours later with lots of little goodies. Is it just me or is going into Bunnings a bit like going into a time warp? You go in, then hours later you emerge, blinking, and wondering how it became 6.30pm already. Maybe it's just me.

My dreams of heirloom seeds are going to have to wait until next season/next year unfortunately. I'm just getting my hands on whatever seedlings I can that I think will grow well. I've not got any potatoes in and I probably won't this year, which is a bit disappointing. Next year. I'm still holding out hope of getting some beans that I can harvest and dry for use over the winter months. 

Oh and harvesting right now - well, we took all that we could from the silverbeet tree [it was most definitely a tree] before I took the bold move of pulling it out. It still hasn't moved any further than where it was unceremoniously dumped on the lawn. And now we're harvesting nothing really, save for some rosemary. Slowly slowly, this is how my garden grows!

Don't forget to head over to the Garden Share Collective page and take a look at some other gardens, there are plenty from all around the world sharing their happenings now. Until next month...

18 comments:

  1. Good Luck! Have you managed to inherit soil that you have worked up before? Just looking at the closeup of the Zucchini, it looks likes rather heavy clay, but I could be wrong. I'm still putting my personality on a garden new to me - I think I am getting nowhere, but then I look at photos. Good photos are a must. or at least plenty. I store them in folders for each month, so I can look back on last year.
    Linda @ Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the soil is better than other parts, that zucchini spot is definitely one of the less good sections. We had one summer of growing vegies here previously, and before that, there was a concrete slab over this spot! Photos are the best for keeping motivation going, when you can look back and realise that you have actually come a long way. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I can tell I've not had enough sleep this week. I was very confused by the zucchini/courgette seedling and tomato seedlings in the box. Why? Doesn't she know it's WINTER??!! D'oh!! Lol!!

    I shall go now ... enjoy your spring planting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Actually this just reminded me to bring the seedlings in a bit closer to the house, it's going to be too cold for tomatoes tonight. By convention we don't plant tomatoes out until Melbourne Cup day, which is this Tuesday coming. So you're not too far from the mark!
      Enjoy some sleep?? Good luck with that!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jacqui, your new veggie garden looks good. Once the seedlings settle in to their new patch of dirt, get some sun and water, they will have a growth spurt. When I started my veggie garden it seemed like ages before they grew but then I started to see some new shoots. They start off slow but all of a sudden you will be harvesting their goodies. I love visiting Bunnings and always try and find something else that we need to buy there. You could end up spending quite abit of time there just looking at stuff. I hope you enjoy planting your new herbs and veggies.
    Simone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone :) Yes once the seedlings get established they'll be fine. The hard part is getting the seedlings into the ground! Which is not hard, just hard to find the time..
      I always get stuck in the plant section of Bunnings. There's just too many nice plants and I want them all!

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks great! I think it definitely takes time to get it all started, but you've got heaps on the go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It's getting there. Next month should have a bit more happening!

      Delete
  5. You've made a great start given all the goings on in your life- it's taken me 5 years in this house, and gardening around little ones (the youngest will be 5 next month), to feel like we'll really be reaping the rewards this summer. As long as it rains at least occasionally this time! When my silverbeet turns into a tree, I just take a sharp knife and chop it at the base. It usually comes back quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it does rain occasionally this summer, last year was terrible. I thought about keeping the sliverbeet but once I got out there, I got a bit carried away and it got pulled out. But I've got some rainbow seedlings to plant so it won't be long til we have more. It's become a real favourite of mine.
      Yes, the whole garden thing is much more of a long term project than it has ever been these days...

      Delete
  6. hello from another garden sharer! starting a new vegie patch can be daunting but also very exciting. good luck with establishign everything, and finding the time to do it.
    bunnings - which is just across the road from where i work, constant temptation! is not so much a time warp but a money suck. just go in for one thing, come out with way more... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes total money suck! Because I want All The Plants :-)

      Delete
  7. I am a big fan of Bunnings too. Thanks for sharing your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have not done too badly for only 5 weeks back in to your old place. You deserve a huge pat on the back with bub and all. I can't believe you are back to square one again with the chooks, they do love to dig up anything freshly planted. Its going to be really lovely to see how your garden gets on as you expand your collection of veggies. I have tried mung beans to for drying this year. Will see how they get on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish me luck - I have promised to go and buy paint with my daughter at Bunnings this afternoon. I know LOGICALLY the paint aisle is the other direction to the garden section, but that pull is so strong!!!

    Loved looking at the garden evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jacqui you have done so much in a short time. Your seedlings are looking great and are just starting to flourish. Your zucchini plant is growing well. Great work for one just back in your house, and with a little one. I am looking forward to see the growth in your garden next month :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the Bunnings time warp gets me too - how do they manage it?! I think your garden is looking great - won't be long and it will all be lovely and covered with produce!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fee a bit the same, slowly slowly and I will get my new garden together as well. Isn't it great to finally plant something after doing so much 'ground' work. Mind you my success rate this year is terrible, three of my four tomato seedlings look like they're going to die, only half my spuds have come up and the seeds I planted, well who knows. I have a few beetroot, but not many, some radish and greens and that it. No sign of the beans, corn, sunflowers, the list goes on. But as you say, slowly slowly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.