8 November 2013

Talking About: Baby Led Weaning

I thought I'd share with you some of my thought about this baby led weaning caper. Our baby is now 7.5 months old and we've been eating solids by baby led weaning for about 6 weeks now. I honestly can't imagine feeding him solids any other way. Before we even started on solids proper, we were eating soup for dinner one evening and I offered him some on his little baby spoon, which he grabbed and tried to feed himself with. So I guess that's where it started. 
Because... what could possibly go wrong?

If you're not sure what baby led weaning is all about, google it, but essentially it involves the baby feeding itself from the start, and eating [I use that term lightly] whatever the rest of the family is eating [within reason and common sense]. This means, no 'baby food' in the traditional sense of jars of mush, no homemade combinations of mush, in fact no separate baby meals prepared. I think it can be a little daunting for some, and many people have concerns that the baby will choke on something.

But it seems little babies, once they lose the reflex to push food out of their mouths, are quite capable of mouthing food around, breaking it up with saliva and their gums, and if a large piece does go in the mouth, they seem quite capable of bringing it back up/out again. Obviously you wouldn't ever leave a baby unattended while feeding and I know I watch our little one like a hawk [discreetly mind you, the idea is not to stare at them but to let them get on with eating!].

It is a wonderful thing to see. We have watched our little baby's hand to mouth coordination develop quickly, and his excitement and enthusiasm for meal time is just so lovely. Watching his face when his bowl turns up, seeing him check over everything, touching and rummaging around to see what looks good to eat, and seeing him discard unwanted things over the side of the high chair [yeah, not my favourite part]. Seeing him pick up a piece of food, bring it to his mouth and pop it in. So sweet.

Over the past 6 weeks he has started to eat much more, as he gets better at holding the food in his hands, getting it into his mouth, and chewing it up. I will say though, more food still ends up on the floor than gets into his mouth. I guess something I often think is that we're lucky we can spare the 'wastage' of some food not being eaten [although in this house, there is no wastage as it all goes out to the chooks, so I don't really mind]. But I can envisage that this may be a problem in different circumstances.

Recently we stopped into a cafe after a wander into town and ordered ourselves some hot chips and drinks. Only when our food started to turn up did we realise 'oops!' as we didn't get anything for William, and he's certainly not going to start eating hot chips at 7 months old [unless I make them for him, and I do]. So I went back to the counter to see what I could find, and ended up ordering him a small bowl of fruit salad. It came, and he sat on his Daddy's knee, in the cafe, eating up his fruit salad. A little girl at a table nearby was heard to exclaim 'look, the baby's eating the fruit salad!'. 

I know this baby led weaning thing is not quite mainstream, but I would not do anything else. I would be depriving our baby of the opportunity to explore and learn about food, to choose what he puts into his mouth, to learn about the different textures, and flavours, and colours, and every other sensory aspect of eating. He knows how to eat from a spoon, he's learning that a fork is different [and sharp]. And seeing what he enjoys eating is just so interesting.

I guess in all this, I believe my role here as the mother, is to guide, show, encourage, support. I occasionally get to spoon feed him, when he lets me. I love that our mealtimes are so inclusive, and that what we eat, is mostly what he eats. I am also of the belief that 'food before one is just for fun', as he is still primarily sustained by my breast milk. Motherhood - another instalment of my take on it. 

Have you tried baby led weaning? Or did you use conventional baby feeding to go onto solids? If you have any questions about how this works for us, by all means ask in the comments section and I'll do my best to tell you all I know. I'll also be posting up some baby led weaning meal ideas in the next few weeks if you're interested to know exactly what we eat.

Please bear in mind that this is simply the story of one family - I do not profess to know all the ins and outs of baby feeding or baby led weaning. As always, do your own research and above all, trust your instincts.

8 comments:

  1. We didn't use baby-led weaning when my kids were little (the concept was not really heard of then). I made all their baby food which I made into mush for the first few months, I also gave them chunks of food to explore as a side dish (banana, cooked potato, cooked carrot, semi-cooked apple) I did eventually discover that babies have a great sense of self preservation and rarely choke so we turned to just serving a usual meal by the time they were about two.
    I think the way you are weaning is brilliant; it lets him feel secure as he is not losing your breast milk (and doesn't feel rejected) while exploring all the sensory joys of eating. I wish it had occurred to me to do the same.
    I ran into a lot of opposition in the way I did things; I breast fed until the age of two (although by two they were only feeding once a day) and fed them both big chunks fairly early. One of my sisters was petrified that her babies would choke and kept them all (5 of them) on mush until they were three then wondered why they choked when they finally got hold of chunks (no experience), she still doesn't let them eat nuts (the eldest is 16).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Offering the side dishes of food is very much along the lines of baby led weaning anyway :). Those are a lot of the things I offer. They really do have a great sense of self preservation. I think our society doesn't respect that enough. I hope to be able to breastfeed until the age of 2, that is the plan. I am sure there will still be raised eyebrows about that now!
      Wow I can't believe feeding mush until age 3! Such differences between you and your sister too.
      Thanks for your comment, I love hearing from other people who go against the grain, so to speak.

      Delete
    2. My sister worries about her kids and I worry about the planet; both concerns come from the same place but go in different directions (so to speak).

      Delete
  2. Wow, mush til 3?! Who has the time apart from anything else! Wow!

    I looked into baby led weaning but didn't last very long. I didn't like that I didn't know how much they'd actually eaten. DS1 got more meals I'd made especially for him, DS2 ate more of what we were having chopped up - not quite as mushy as I made for DS1 I think. I breast fed DS1 til he was 1 by which time I think he almost stopped himself. He seemed happier to have and hold a bottle himself (we'd introduced one bottle a day for him so hubby could do bedtime while I had a break and hubby and DS could have a bit of time together) I intended the same with DS2 but got ill when he was about 7 months and my milk dried up overnight. Literally. Quite scary. Actually a blessing in disguise though as he was a baaaad sleeper and I was getting exhausted (probably why I got ill) so hubby feeding in the night as the weekends gave me some much needed rest.
    It's somehow always more complicated than it should be isn't it?! I think you're doing amazingly well. Wish you'd been around writing this blog 5 years ago;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true about knowing how much they've eaten. I sus out how much has gone in by how much I pick up off the floor, sadly! Which is not exact. I get the exhaustion part, I've finally come down with a bug myself and it's taking forever to go away... because I just don't get the rest. Thankfully though the milk supply is still good.
      I guess it all just works itself out somehow doesn't it!

      Delete
  3. I did baby led weaning with both my girls, though I started with purees for my eldest because I hadn't heard of BLW when she was six months and was starting solids. She had mush for a few months, but was always more interested in feeding herself so when I finally read about BLW it all made so much sense. She would eat anything and try new foods with relish until she was about 2, then she turned into a fussy food nightmare and still is two and a half years later. My second had only BLW right from the start and at two and a half is a dream to cook for. It's funny though, they both now like to be spoon fed every now and again. The younger one is determined to stay the baby of the family and this is one way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same a you with my boys, it was easy and they never had a problem chewing the "chunks"!! . We lived in the NT so most of the time we ate outside mess wasn't really a problem as we had a dog that enjoyed the leftovers!! Love your approach and love seeing your little boy sitting up in his high chair with a big smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my son, it was the best method of feeding.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.