It's high time for another recipe post. Which actually means that in my flat out days of mothering an 8 month old, I made these muffins and managed to snap some photos of them. So my blogging secret is out - if I have a photo, a blog post happens. If I don't, it doesn't. So much for forward planning..
Anyway, they are very yummy muffins. I've reached a point in my baking evolution where I can make muffins without a recipe - vary this, add that, hold back some of this, add a little more of that. And produce something reasonable. And all while watching the clock waiting for a sleeping babe to wake. Motherhood is certainly increasing my efficiency at life. These are super easy, and of course, you can vary them to suit yourself.
I used a 6-hole muffin tray for large muffins, but you could use a 12-hole muffin tray for smaller muffins. And of course, no added sugar. There's more than enough sweetness in the apples and cranberries without adding processed sugar.
Ingredients:
3 apples, chopped into chunks
1/4 cup olive oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups self raising flour*
1/3 cup almond meal
cinnamon to taste
handful of dried cranberries
Method:
Heat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease muffin tray.
In a bowl, combine olive oil, egg and milk and mix together. Add flour, almond meal and cinnamon and give it a quick stir [it doesn't have to be all combined]. Add chopped apples and dried cranberries and stir it all together. Just enough so there's no dry flour left, you don't want to over mix it.
Spoon it into the prepared muffin tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, give or take. Closer to 20 minutes for 12 small muffins, closer to 25 minutes for 6 large muffins.
Cool in the muffin tin. Or don't cool them, just eat them warm.
The only problem with making 6 large muffins rather than 12 small muffins is that they disappear too quickly. And the chunkier you leave your apples, the chunkier the muffins are. I like to call it the rustic look. But you can always chop your apples smaller if you have the time/patience/inclination.
* I use gluten free flour.
Thanks Jacqui, Sounds delish, will give it a try in a few days. loooove the no sugar, wondering if ok to substitute honey for recipes with sugar ?
ReplyDeleteI make 3 doz at a time...1 and a half doz per rack in fan forced gas oven, saves making the kitchen hot for too long and saves using more gas. most muffins freeze well, so they are good to eat for many days....Yummm
I'm sure honey would be fine as a substitute for sugar in a lot of recipes. I guess just play around and see how they go!
DeleteI am yet to master this business of making big batches. I'm working on it, but I'm still a bit stuck with only making one batch at a time. I need to get myself a few more muffin trays perhaps... I always try to tuck a couple away in the freezer anyway, but I'm not always successful!
deliciousness :-)
ReplyDelete