Once again it's time for the Garden Share Collective. I'm not sure what happened to November but it's been and gone, and now December is here it's summer time. And I'm starting to see my little vegie garden come to life, thankfully!
| One of many. |
| Early flowers on the tomatoes. |
We're eating lettuce every day now, and it just keeps coming and coming, and coming. The tomatoes are flowering already which I'm happy to see. Soon enough we'll be able to put together a salad from the garden. The zucchini is doing well, after losing two seedlings to snails [I think], and I did find a replacement at the farmers market. Which also got attacked but seems to be surviving.
| Beetroot looking happy. |
| Leeks, which need some building up around them. |
The beetroots are flourishing, I'm looking forward to harvesting them and getting beetroot stains everywhere when I cook them. Leeks are doing really well, except some are too close to the zucchini so they'll be the first to be harvested, as the zucchini does it's ever-expanding thing. A row of onions have suffered from cat-squash. That is when the cat decides to lie on them for no apparent reason. It's only ever the onions. But most of them are going well.
Bean seeds were planted out, tiny little seedlings started to emerge, and then they got eaten. So I'm disappointed and will now go buy some seedlings from the nursery I think. Rainbow chard is in, taking a while to get going, but then so did the lettuce and the beetroot. I can't wait to start harvesting. I had no idea how dependent I had become on having a constant supply of silverbeet. Seems it's become one of my kitchen favourites.
| My first chamomile. |
| They're small, but in this corner is an abundance of sage and oregano. |
Over in the herb garden things are slowly coming to fruition. The chamomile is doing well, I gave it a good chop back a week or so ago and it's come right back to life with plenty of flowers. I've had my first homegrown chamomile tea! Also planted out is dill, basil [please grow, little basil!], rocket, sage, parsley, oregano, thyme and mint. I have a feverfew waiting to be planted, and I did put in seeds for chives but I'm seen no sign of them. I have not had much success with chives yet.
And that's pretty much where the garden is at. There's also a plum tree which is dropping little plums all over the herb garden when the wind blows - they're almost ready for picking, but not quite. The chooks are getting lots of fallen plums right now. I've never made plum jam, but maybe this year will be the one. Time permitting of course!
Thanks for stopping by to check out my garden. As always, head on over to the Garden Share Collective page to take a look at some of the other great gardens being shared. Thanks to Lizzie of Strayed from the Table for putting this show together.
Hi Jacqui,
ReplyDeleteEnjoying your garden.
Plum sauce is very nice. :)
I'll be interested to see how you leeks go - I always saw them as a winter crop, but put some in in early spring. They didn't bulk up, and have shot up to seed, so I pulled them. But I see they are still out there in nurseries.
Cheers
Linda
http://chloesgarden.blogspot.com.au/
Hi Linda, thanks for stopping by. Oh of course, plum sauce, I hadn't thought of that. There will be a lot of plums!
DeleteI'm hoping the leeks go ok. They seem to be, they have thickened up substantially since I planted them out (as seedlings). I grew leeks last summer as well, and they were wonderful. Them seem quite hardy. Maybe worth another try :)
your garden looks so wonderfullygreen, jacqui! the leeks look so lovely in their regimented lines. my garden starts out neat then just goes its own way :-)
ReplyDeleteand the plums - delicious. even just stewed (if you have no time for jam or sauce), they are such a treat on breakfast oats.
It looks surprisingly green for this time of year... give it a few more months, then it will be varying shades of brown :-)
DeleteOoh I never thought of stewed plums on brekkie. I will add them to my rice porridge in the morning, thanks for the tip!
I love that you can make your on chamomile tea, this is something I should put in. Good for the bees and good for me - ah relaxed liz. Your garden is coming along nicely since your move. Its funny how you become reliant on a plant, for food. My zucchini's have slowed down and I m not getting enough, must plant more next month.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm loving the chamomile. It soothes me just looking at it in the garden! And a good chop brings more flowers, so more tea and more bees :)
DeleteI can't wait to start harvesting the zucchini. I love a good zucchini glut. Hope you get some more coming on soon.
I can't wait for zucchini - and I am exactly the same as you, planted Rainbow Chard because I was missing the silverbeet!
ReplyDeleteMe too - zucchini slice, zucchini in every pasta dish, zucchini chocolate cake... love an oversupply of zucchini. I hope your rainbow chard is doing better than mine, it seems to be taking ages to get going!
Delete