20 January 2014

January: (not) Blogging, Weather and Rhythm


I've not been around blog land much lately. This stage of life is proving most demanding on my time, and in the most wonderful way. I find that I am living more in the present than ever, and less in my own head. The reason for this is a bouncing 10 month old baby boy; still my baby, but in the transition between baby and toddler. I didn't even know there was such a thing, but that is where he's at. I can barely recall what happened yesterday, let alone last week. I'm living so totally in the now. And the now isn't providing much space for taking photos, or editing photos, or writing blog posts, or even reading my favourite blogs. It is an ever changing landscape, life with a very young child. 

I snapped this image last week. It was a hot day, and the clouds rolled in to provide us with thunder and lightening and a little rain in the evening. It was a hot week, probably the hottest five days in a row I've experienced. If it were just me, I would lie on the couch and watch the tennis and not move very much. But with a small baby, I found the heat quite difficult. Little things, like wondering if [hoping] the chickens were ok, but not being able to go check them. I wasn't taking my baby out into that heat. Watching my vegie garden wilting mid-morning, despite a good watering the night before. Not wanting to hang clothes on the line, as I didn't want to leave them out in the harsh sun too long, and knowing that I may not have a chance to go outside and retrieve them. Little things that made life more tricky.

I was heard to say more than once that we should just move to Tasmania. I'm normally a heat lover, and over winter I'm often heard saying we should move to somewhere warmer, maybe the mid-north coast of New South Wales. But this heat, this is not nice. Last summer was the longest dry spell in decades, and this summer is proving to be erratic at best. I believe we are starting to see and feel the effects of this global warming thing. So I expect we will see more of these really hot days in summer, and more of the erratic weather patterns. What will it be like in another 30 years time? 50 years? What will my son experience in his lifetime? Part of me says to just make the best of here, and part of me says move to a cooler climate.

I've been doing an e-course all through January, all about finding rhythm and bringing rhythm to the home, particularly with small children in the home. It is wonderful, and fulfilling and helping me so much to bring rhythm and structure to our days. Simple little things, anchors in our days, bringing ritual and reverence to meal times, being dependable with our daily chores. Hanging out the washing, taking out the chook bucket, bringing in the washing, quiet time after lunch. Ringing the tiny brass bells on a string to signal meal time, a job assigned to our baby who loves it already. You can see more about this course here. I don't want it to end. It has given me so much food for thought, and a beautifully calming start to a new year. 

How is your January going?

5 comments:

  1. The idea of honoring rhythm in our lives is a beautiful thing. I choose to bring rhythm into my life (and that of my family by default) with my religion; Wicca is all about celebrating the turning of the Wheel of the Year, the slow changes from mid winter to mid summer and back again. I use the Sabbats (Beginning and end of seasons and the equinox and solstices) to tell me when it's time to plant, tend, harvest and build, also it gives me a sense of connecting to an older tradition adhered to by my ancestors. I think providing rhythm in your family's life is providing your son with a sense of security he will need to deal with the changing world he has to face growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there is security to be found in having a strong rhythm in the home. It's helping me too, I'm learning the spots in the day where I hold my breath instead of breathing. The spots where I need to feel the rhythm more.

      Delete
  2. All the old books say that babies thrive on a routine, I think a calm Mumma's daily rhythm is the best way to a content baby, hope you enjoy this practice,just do your best one day at a time.
    If you want a giggle, just google "10 month olds list to Santa".....good for a laugh.
    Hope you are coping ok with the darn heat, if you don't have aircon you can freeze a few 1 or 2 lire plastic milk bottles of water and put it in your lap or next to your thigh if you are holding William or doing craft, or put one under your feet, it really makes a difference to keeping cool. You could wrap one in a towel and keep it near bub when he is sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baby is thriving on routine and to be honest, so am I! My days flow so much better when there is routine and rhythm.
      That heat was pretty intense. We have air con but it didn't reach into the corners of the house where you most want it, like sleeping quarters. Still, it would have been much much harder without it, so I'm not complaining!
      I will google now.. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh I just googled that 10 month olds list to Santa, it is EXACTLY my life right now! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.