24 April 2014

In The Real World


Wow. I had no idea how much of my head space is devoted to blogging. I mean, I don't blog that much really, but when I wrote a post last week about easing off a bit, doing a bit less, well it's not a big change in blog output really, but it has been a HUGE change in my headspace. Like I said, I had no idea how much blogging had crept into my everything. And in it's [not quite] absence, things have been happening in the real world that I have been putting off for a long time. 

I've been learning new things. I finally decided it was time to learn how to make a granny square, a little late since I first picked up a crochet hook eight years ago. Over the Easter weekend I immersed myself in the 'Granny A Day' tutorial series by the lovely Pip over on Meet Me At Mikes. If you're interested to learn, I would recommend these as Pip has a great way with the videos. I normally avoid videos online. Anyway I'm super excited to be finally making a pretty granny square blanket. And there are so many ideas for new things to make, and the ever-growing stash of pretty yarns is calling my name. But one thing at a time.

I mentioned in some posts a few weeks back about a little weekend trip to Mt Buller, an alpine resort in Victoria. A mountain bike mecca during the summer months, and our trip up was part of an Instructor Retreat with the company I do skills instructing for. I was so anxious about the trip for so many reasons - how will we cope with a 5 hour drive and a 13 month old, how will I cope with being away from him on big trails that may take a while to get back from, how will I cope with Mt Buller when I'm so unfit - just a few of my concerns. But we went, we did it and it was so so good. I realised all over again how much I love mountain biking, and it was the best having my little family there with me.

I've been thinking for a long time about starting up a women's mountain bike monthly ride in my home town, but I've been putting it off and finding reasons to not do it. There are lots of reasons to not do it. When I was up at the retreat, the whole group was sharing where things are at in their local areas and I was lamenting my situation a little. To be surrounded by a room full of support to start a ride up was just wonderful. So I'm doing it, and if no-one shows up [my fear], then at least I get a ride in regardless. I started a similar thing going in Ballarat a few years ago under a club there and it is still going stronger than ever, so I know it can be done. At the same time, I feel a bit like 'can I really do it again?'. 

So that's me, trying to find a new balance between time online and time out in the real world. And I've got crocheting to do! 

How do you balance yourself between being online and real life stuff? Do you have balance?

8 comments:

  1. The break has obviously been good - the trip and the reduced blogging. Go for it with the women's ride. Why not?! Like you say, even if the worst happened and no one showed, you'd still get a ride. If one showed up you might have found a new riding partner ... or it could be so popular you need help lol!!

    Breaks are good. We just spent a week in Scotland in open canoes with two other families with boys plus one 'uncle' solo paddler. I'm still struggling to readjust to the real world (and more determined than ever to declutter after living in a tent with just two sets of clothes, a whole wardrobe of clothes totally fazed me when we got back lol!!) sometimes you need pulling back from the virtual world. I've certainly decluttered my blog list, but not you obviously! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, two weeks camping and canoeing sounds amazing! I can imagine it's quite hard to readjust again. And definitely makes you think about your clothes. What a wonderful adventure, slightly envious!
      You have to declutter your blog list from time to time, I do it too. Glad you're still here though! ;)

      Delete
    2. The first blogg of the trip, the 'pirate blogg' is here if you want to see some stunning Scottish scenery http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45112-Pirates-of-Loch-Shiel
      We're in the 'cream dream' canoe (we didn't name her that!) and our boys are usually in red coats.

      Delete
    3. Cool, I'm going to take a look!

      Delete
  2. Oh and Granny Squares can be addictive ... but beware the joining, it takes forEVER!! I'm sure I'll end up making another granny square blanket, but a year on and I'm still in the 'never again!' phase ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the sewing in of all those ends that's getting me right now… :)

      Delete
  3. Balance? I seem to spend my life online when I'm in the midst of a study unit (now) and when I get a week off I try to get things done in the real world (while remembering to take photos of it all for my blog). I don't think it's balanced, but it certainly is varied.
    Your mountain bike riding group sounds great, just the sort of thing I would join. Except that I'm now frightfully unfit and don't even own a bike any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, balance seems a foreign concept really doesn't it. We fill our days with so many things.
      I wouldn't take unfit as a reason not to join! But not having a bike would be a problem.. :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.