We've finally reached a decisive point in our little part of the world, that we're going to move again, and soon. You know when you um and ah about a decision for so long, then finally something happens that gives a clear way forward? That.
We have thought and thought on this house that we live in, and looked into buying it and staying put right here. But it just didn't seem to be coming together for us - it seemed to be against the flow. Still though, the option remained on the table, and we were almost back at the point of well, perhaps we should just push forward and buy, and the universe handed us a decisive 'NO'. And so we listened. And now we are house hunting!
Anyway, with all of our decluttering and heading down the path of minimalist living (in so far as you can with a young child, dogs, cats, chooks and bikes), I have realised a few things about the place I want to call home. And I realise that I am once again left of centre here in middle Australia. Here is a little list of the things I would really love in our future home.
* A simple bathroom.
Simple, simple, simple. Basic. I don't want fancy tiles, I don't want stone this or stone that, I don't want fancy bits that require lots of cleaning or where mould can build up. I don't want a huge space. I do want the toilet in a separate room and I do want there to be a bath. But simple and basic and small is fine with me.
* One main room for living.
Ideally with a kitchen at one end, room for a solid kitchen table where memories will be created and wonderful meals shared. At the other end, some lounge chairs, a bookshelf or two (for our much-reduced collection of books), somewhere to stash my yarns and some toys. Room for little beds for animals to sleep in.
* A small main bedroom.
Small. The bigger the room, the more tempted we are to fill it with stuff, the more stuff we have, the messier the room becomes. When I have nowhere to throw clothes in a hurry (like onto a chair, or a cot, or whatever else fills the space), I am forced to put clothes away. And I like that. And really, I want room for our double sized bed and not much else, save for little side drawers and a smallish closet.
* Two little bedrooms.
For our little one, and hopefully one day another little one.
* A main wood heater.
I know they're not the most environmentally friendly heating around, but what is? Gas isn't. Split system certainly isn't. Wood heating creates the nicest warmth, and we have to work for our heat by collecting and splitting our wood (we have 'designated' wood collecting areas in the part of the world).
* And the rest...
Lots and lots and lots of natural light, north facing windows in the living area, good thermal mass, insulated floors and walls, timber floors. Space in the garden to grow some trees, vegies, keep a couple of chooks and have room for a little person to run around and get very dirty.
Small, simple, basic. Just a place to call home, small and easy to clean, easy to keep an eye on a toddler while I'm in the kitchen. Oh, and I guess I would love a little nook to sit with macbook and write, and somewhere where I can create and not have to pack everything away all the time… but I won't be greedy. Small and simple really is key here. Am I asking too much?
I was reading a copy of Better Homes and Gardens magazine recently (Mum kept if for me as it came with bonus cake icing bits, a piping bag and stuff, score!). Anyway I don't really read stuff like this, but I've been a little intrigued, mainly with looking at the 'how' rather than the 'what' (this graphic design course I'm doing is responsible for that..). But I did note with interest an advertising feature for completely over-the-top bathrooms, great stone monolith types, all very stylish and everything, but really. Is this what your average home needs? Is this what people aspire to? Is this why there is so much debt? Is this what keeps our economy 'strong'? Spending money on unnecessary things, things that take up so much space, things that may be stylish now, but in 10 years will be outdated? Blah.
Left of centre, once again. Give me small and simple and plain any day.
How about you? What does your dream home look like? Or are you living in it?

small and simple sounds wonderful....we recently downsized and it's still taking me a while to deal with the reduced space (my craft stash is probably too large!!)....i wouldn't say it's my dream home (as it's brick and has carpet!) but we are near the sea so no complaints from here!! best of luck with your search, flick x
ReplyDeleteThe ideal home isn't necessarily the 'dream' home is it. Brick and carpet works! Near the sea would be wonderful (I can dream!). I have a drawer for crafty stuff that is overflowing, it hasn't yet come under the decluttering spotlight - soon though! I think a lot of it will have to go.
DeleteAnd thank you :) x
That's great that you have written down on paper your "wish list" and when you come to find your home if you get 8 out of 10 things and can live with the 2 that may not be perfect you are doing well. It keeps your goal clear in your mind because it's written down. Not sure if you have discovered this blog or not but once you get there you'll want to read everything about it including tour of the house etc. small, livable and used.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.assortmentblog.com/
Go to "our story" part and read it and also the current post on how to downsize your belongings to what matters. Even if you don't want to live in a small home (theirs is tiny) a lot of what she writes about you can take something away from it. Once I got there I read every post. I agree with you on the bedroom I have clothes piled on the floor myself (a bad habit of mine). Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia
I agree, putting it in writing helps to clarify what's really important and what isn't. If we can get close to my list, I'll be happy. Thanks for sharing the blog link, I'll take a look, I've not seen it before. I always enjoy reading about downsizing!
DeleteAnd good basic soil in the garden to start. Nice clay loam. :) I grew up in a small house - so I was outside more.
ReplyDeleteTrue - good soil is pretty important too. Be nice to just move in and have nice soil ready to go!
DeleteOooh, this is so exciting, because I agree with you 1000%. Absolutely left of centre, it's so liberating to realise you don't have to build the McMansion. So excited to see where you land! Our dream = debt free, a shed home on under 10acres, somewhere with rolling hills. Off grid. 2BR, one large living/kitchen space, with an outdoor space flowing off it. One bathroom, maybe another half bathroom or wet room to walk into from outside with muddy boots and dirty veggies (hubby is a plumber, plumbing is free!). Concrete floors, single polished (we like it textured), with solar heated in slab heating with ceiling fans and a wood heater to supplement. High skillion roof in living/kitchen area with windows up top for ventilation, passive orientation, large windows, simple kitchen. Market garden and kitchen garden outside, deciduous trees and a space for the tools.
ReplyDeleteLiving in this tiny house has taught us that we really don't NEED much space, we live outside alot more than we realised, and that it is quality over quantity all the way for us. Sigh. Can't wait to bring that dream to reality!
Oh the McMansion. No thank you! Yes my super dream home is off grid and self sufficient and probably straw bale, but I'll settle for as close as I can get to these essentials for now. Definitely need a place for muddy boots to go, we don't have that right now and it's hard trying to keep the mud and dirt on the outside. Your dream home sounds amazing! Living in our current house, I'm finding we have too much space, and once I would have just filled it with extra furniture, now I want to live in a smaller house.
DeleteSigh. One day!
Small is not always simple. Our humpy is too small for four people, but it is simple.
ReplyDeleteI find that I tend to leave stuff in piles if there is no 'home' for it, so I am decluttering stuff to make homes for all my essentials (craft stuff mainly).
Bathrooms....well we have progressed from a bucket of warm water and a jug outside (somewhere grassy) to a bathtub inside (with a bucket and a jug) to out now luxury of a tub with a 12 volt camping shower head on a pole and a bucket of warm water (also a cold tap over the bath). I hope to expand to a shower stall (not enough tank water for baths) and a hot water tap over the bath soon. We will keep the shower arrangement though as I find the bucket doesn't encourage long (water wasteful) showers. As for decoration...we have pretty frogs visit sometimes.
Yes I understand those piles of stuff that have nowhere to go, I am completely guilty of creating those all around the house. Your place sounds pretty amazing, I must admit I do like a good soak in the bath (when the chance arises or when I finally crack it and go lock myself in the bathroom until I'm a nice person again). But as for the surrounds, well a bath is a bath and as long as the toilet isn't next to my head, I don't mind where it is. Frogs sound nice!
Delete