On the first (official) day of winter, it's time once again to take a peek into my little vegie garden. Linking up as always with Lizzie of Strayed from the Table and the Garden Share Collective. Have you joined the collective?
![]() |
| Stevia, a little sweetie flowering. |
And so it's winter. Not that it feels like it, and apparently the garden isn't sure it's winter yet either. But the conditions are lovely all the same, and lots of greenery is growing in the garden. Mostly weeds, mind you, but some vegies are doing their bit as well.
Currently on the go in the vegie garden is celery (I am loving this, I planted it back in summer and now I just take stalks as I need them for soups and stocks and lentil bolognese), rainbow chard, broad beans, peas and broccoli. And about twenty million snails, mostly little ones. Any ideas on how to remove snails sans snail bait? I haven't tried beer yet, as we just never buy it, but I wonder if wine would have the same effect. Any ideas fellow gardeners?
The herb garden is also ticking along quite happily, albeit slowly now as it's a fairly shaded area. Currently growing is rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, mint, rocket, chives and a stevia plant I found at the market. And a bunch of weeds in between.
![]() |
| I absolutely love silverbeet and rainbow chard. Can't get enough of this stuff. Nor can the chickens. |
Planting
In June, I'll be planting garlic, some more rainbow chard, spring onions and some brown onion seedlings from the nursery. A few weeks ago I planted out cauliflower and mini cabbage seedlings and they all got eaten by those darn snails. Very, very disheartening to see, especially as I made quite the effort to get them in the ground, and all for nothing. Gosh, I sound so bitter!
Harvesting
At the moment it's just celery and rainbow chard plus herbs as needed. We had a few more zucchini's during May but I finally had to remove the biggest zucchini plant I've ever grown and make space for new plantings (the ones that got eaten..).
![]() |
| The broad beans are flowering. So pretty. |
To Do List
Well, I'm keeping my garden To Do list to a minimum at the moment, so apart from planting out a few bits and pieces, possibly into pots, I'll be keeping an eye on frosty nights to cover up flowering peas and broad beans if needed and not too much else. Regular checks of the broccoli to make sure the white moths aren't attacking it again, making sure the peas and broad beans are supported. The garden could do with a nice big bed of pea straw but I'm not sure I will have the opportunity to get to it.
![]() |
| Winter garden greenery. |
Anyway I'm very happy with this little winter vegie garden, it is surprisingly productive and is without doubt the most productive winter garden I've yet produced. I'm loving watching the flowering of the peas and broad beans and just seeing the greenery flourish against the cool season backdrop.
So how is your garden looking as we start June?
For more gardens, head over to the Garden Share Collective page and take a look, there are bloggers from all over the world taking part so there's sure to be someone near you.




On the first day of winter - it's strange read it. I can say that we have almost summer. I love read about your garden it's exotic for me.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, it's like when I read your blog about summer time! But nice to think of the opposite season too.
DeleteSnails, they are such a pain in the garden. The chooks like to eat them (all that calcium from the shells), but they also eat the veges. My guinea fowl eat them too (and a lot less of the veges). Bill Mollison suggests ducks, but I always found that they trample the plants. The real answer is a tame butcher bird; our Roadie used to spend hours delicately picking snails and slugs off the plants and whacking them on a rock (he has now left home unfortunately). If you can provide habitat for the natural predators of snails then your problem is solved.
ReplyDeleteI've been letting the chooks nibble in there a bit lately, in the hope that they will eat them. I'm not sure if they go for them much or not.
Deletehttp://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/garden_pest_snail.html
ReplyDeleteThis blog has some ideas.
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
DeleteThe vegie garden is looking good, such a shame about the ones that have gone for snail food....they won't cross sawdust, the coarser the better, so surround your plants with some if you can find some at a timber yard, building site, or even the local hardware may have some from cutting timber to length.....just ask
ReplyDeleteYes I like the sawdust idea. Someone also suggested coffee grounds to be used in a similar way, I'll try that first as it means I can drink more coffee!
DeleteSnails are a complete pain. Sorry to hear they wiped out some of your new plants. That is very frustrating. Love the broad bean flowers they are gorgeous! Happy gardening.
ReplyDeletei'm afraid i resort to snail bait - but i'm lucky, no children or pets to worry about. i have a friend who collects them and relocates them to a nearby park :-)
ReplyDeleteand yes, aren't broad beans - and any bean, and pea - flowers pretty? i bought a packet of red flowering broad beans on the weekend for a different look!
I tried relocating a few to the chook run… not as nice as a nearby park I'm afraid!
DeleteThe flowers are so pretty. Red flowering broad beans would be beautiful, I will have to see if I can find some around here. How pretty!
I use crushed egg shells on the ground around the base of the plants to stop snails. Your garden is looking good and once again your chickens have found their way to the leafy greens, cheeky buggers.
ReplyDeleteThat's another good idea for the snails, so far I've got coffee grounds and sawdust as well. Any of them will probably work. Eggshells are easy. Thanks!
DeleteYes, those chickens love their rainbow chard. I let them in to eat snails and the eat the greens instead.
Some great detailed shots. Thanks for the garden update.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by :)
Delete