9 May 2014

Living TV-Free

Where once the was a TV, now there is a singing bowl and a whole lot of white space.

Since it is apparently Screen Free Week or some such thing, I thought it would be timely to talk about living without a TV. Which we do. Obviously we aren't entirely 'screen free', as we spend time on the internet and I spend arguably too much time looking at my phone. But there is no TV in this house. [There are two in the shed I believe, part of the massive amount of 'stuff' to be gotten rid of in this year of decluttering.]

I'm not sure exactly when the TV went. That's how much notice I took of it. One day my husband simply said something like 'have you seen what's missing' and I finally clicked that there was no TV. I love that there is no TV in our house. If nothing else, a TV screen is not the most aesthetically pleasing thing to have in a room, on or off, and having a lounge room without a TV is much more relaxing, I find. There is no 'call to action' when you walk into the room. A blank TV screen feels a little like I should be looking at it, like I should turn it on. 

When we decided to move into this house in town, I was trying to picture in my head where various pieces of furniture would go, and I said to my husband that perhaps we should get rid of the TV as there was nowhere to 'hide' it [we had previously been in this house so I had an idea of what would go where]. Back in our little old house on the dusty country road, we had the TV tucked away in an unused fireplace, so it was not a prominent feature in the room. You didn't automatically walk in an see a screen anywhere. I was wanting to achieve something similar in the new place. 

Anyway, my husband didn't seem keen on the idea of having no TV, and I think I was even the one to bring it in from the shed and plug it in. We tried watching Play School a few times for William, but he was not into it at all [I was, I learned how to make beetroot pasta!] so I gave up on that. And my husband and I watched one show. One! Just one show in the first week or so of moving back in, and that was it. For months afterwards the TV sat untouched. So it was no surprise really that after a while the TV disappeared from the room. Firstly into the study, then out to the shed. Next step, out the door entirely.

I don't miss it at all. In fact I don't know how we would ever find time to watch TV. I know that we are busy with a young child and all that that entails at the moment, but even so, my preference these days would be to read a blog, write a blog, crochet something, draw something, take photos, edit photos, deal with housework and washing, make soap, read a book. There just isn't space for television.

I recall reading a piece about how television is like an intruder [which I cannot find a link to], and it has really stuck with me. Even in being selective about the shows we watched when we had TV, there was still advertising. Which is not something we want in the house.  Granted we rarely watched commercial channels, except for Friday night football really, but the ad breaks were enough to drive me nuts. Particularly as the volume seemed to increase for commercials. Horrible.

A few months ago we had dinner at a local pub, in the bistro, and there were a few TV screens about the place. We inadvertently sat underneath one, before it was switched on, and then on it came. I think it was the news that was on, but I couldn't believe how 'perfect' the presenters were made to look. Almost de-humanised, with so much makeup on. I guess there's no photoshop for TV, other than huge amounts of makeup. It was just weird. And I realised then, once again, that we're out of step with the mainstream. And happily so!

How about you? Do you have TV in the house or has it gone? 

13 comments:

  1. Yikes...that's amazing...I wish I could live without the TV but I have to admit I don't think I could do it....I love a good movie and have a couple of shows that I really enjoy...would happily limit it though and think TV free days should be mandatory..... I'm sure your lives will be greatly enriched by not wasting time sitting around watching telly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what we thought too, when I first flagged the idea. One day we will want to watch movies again, right now is one of those things sacrificed for early parenthood.. But we'll either use a laptop or look at some sort of projector setup in the future. We have also watched a couple of ABC shows online, when we've had the chance.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a TV either... When my ex-husband and I split, he took the TV because he used it more and I never replaced it.... I have a Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts, so I have access to a lot of TV content... but I rarely use them. I don't really enjoy watching TV alone, and I find it kinda exhausted to get emotionally invested in a show. I'd rather do other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how when the TV goes you start to live without it quite easily. I'm the same, I'd rather be doing things than sitting watching a TV show. My eyes glaze over a bit and boredom kicks in. We don't have Netflix or anything but we have watched a couple of shows online. So much easier.

      Delete
  3. I have a big TV but we don't have TV programs. I can' imagination live without TV. I know it's stupid but I dont like cinema but I love movies. I dream about extra room because I hate TV in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. I know one day we will have time to watch movies again and the laptop will probably be too small. We think about some kind of projector onto a white wall that we can put away again. I'm sure they exist.

      Delete
    2. The projector it's a great idea!

      Delete
  4. We have a TV although I'd quite like to get rid, we do like scifi and documentaries so I can't see it happening. The boys weren't into it at William's age but I was glad of it when pregnant with DS2 and for keeping DS1 occupied while I was feeding DS2. They were getting too addicted to it though (and we were using it too much as childcare in the afternoons!) so after their TV free week at mums and a week camping in Scotland we reduced it to a half hour before bed. After some (!) whining for about a week they now don't ask for it and they're generally much nicer kids for it. Currently I'm laughing at them singing the okey cokey lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we quite like our documentaries too, but since we haven't had time lately we're not noticing the lack of them! Although we do sometimes watch a show from the internet and have a bunch of DVD's we could watch, if we did have the time!

      Delete
  5. i barely watch any TV in the summertime - i'm always outside in the garden. i watch more in a hobart winter, because it's so dark - but it is usually just the weather at the end of the news; and then only if the ABC has something or someone i like on - at the moment, it's gardening australia and hugh fearnly-W's shows, both on saturday early evenings.
    i throw an old piece of faded ticking fabric over it (it's an old big boxy thing) to hide it from view - so it doens'y dominate the room or be a 'call to action' as you say, because i don't really see it.
    but i know if it blew up, i wouldn't replace it! the radio is on more than the TV in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be very similar, outdoors in the summer and watching ABC in winter evenings - the weather and maybe something else, I quite liked the ABC funny shows. We still watch the odd ABC thing from iview now.
      A piece of fabric over the TV is a great idea.

      Delete
  6. We got rid of our tv about a month ago and don't miss it at all! We play family games some nights and the boys watch dvds at the weekend. My husband and I listen to the radio and we have read so much more than usual- it's great! A very positive change I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it a positive change too - I love not having it in the house! So many other things to do, and yes the books suddenly start moving off the shelf and into hands.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.