I might as well say it right here on the blog - there have been some big changes of late in my neck of the woods. Along with all this decluttering, or perhaps as driver for the decluttering, I find myself enrolled in a new and very different (for me) course of study. Something that is far, far removed from the heavy textbook-based courses I've previously done. And it has meant withdrawing from the course I was already doing, which was naturopathy.
Thing is, I'd barely touched my naturopathy books for months and months and months. And it dawned on me that I probably wasn't going to pick them up and start studying again. And it also became apparent what I do actually enjoy doing, and what I could potentially do to earn a living at some point in the future. So, out with naturopathy, and in with a diploma in graphic design, part time and online.
So I'm in, and it's happening, and I'm loving it. I have never 'loved' study before, I've just done what had to be done to get through it. But this is totally different, and it's doing things I enjoy and it certainly doesn't feel like study. It's been a bit tough finding the time to myself to actually do it, and juggling things around at home to squeeze an hour or half here and there, but somehow we're managing. And a few less blog posts as well.
I'm finally allowing myself to follow a creative path. I can say I was fairly well conditioned to follow a sensible path through life, which is how I ended up doing the degree programs I did and spent ten years of my life being an accountant. A complete case of square peg round hole. And the constant job-hopping that ensued since I kept hoping that I would find a job that suited me. A lot of conditioning there, that had to be recognised and undone before I could follow this path. And this path has been on the radar for some years now.
Anyway I'm not sure exactly where it will take me. I know what I want to achieve in the end but I'm loving the new direction, and seeing new doors open up for me is just what I needed. I'm drawing. Drawing! I quit drawing when I was grown up enough to stop drawing horses all over everything (some time ago now..). And learning new tricks on the macbook that I can already apply in things I do for fun. So I'm very, very happy.
Anyway, enough about that. What you really need to know is that today I'm guest posting on Think Big Live Simply, contributing to the series that Becs is running called 'A Meaningful Garden'. It's a beautiful series she is putting together and I'm completely honoured to be contributing. I'd love it if you would hop over and take a look! Becs writes a lovely blog that is full of beautiful images and inspiring words. Well worth lingering over with a cup of tea.
You will also find me in the kitchen making a delicious pear, walnut and coffee loaf, the perfect autumn treat. And because now that I'm back on the coffee train, any excuse is a good excuse.

You are a very creative person, the village is a great direction for you. Good luck
ReplyDeleteThank you Joanna!
Deleteups.... well, that you understand me without words, but rather with the wrong wordings (smartphone hint doesn't help)
DeleteI thought about a graphic design.
You sound very happy so it must definitely be the right thing for you :)
ReplyDeleteNow if you could just sort out a new direction for me I'd be most grateful ;)
Haha good luck!
DeleteBravo! It's hard to let go of the 'sensible' conditioning isn't it? (coming from someone who has struggled with it for the last few years too - I'm 'lucky' that my new direction is drawing directly on skills from my old, but still, a conventional path it is not!). I'm so happy for you - and thank you for contributing, once again xx
ReplyDeleteIt is SO hard. But so liberating at the same time.
DeleteLoved being on your blog :)
x
That sounds great Jacqui. I am very happy for you that you have found something that you are interested in. Sometimes it takes awhile until you find something that you want to do and love doing. I am starting to do new things aswell, just little steps. I joined an online course called Blog with Pip. I am so glad I did. I am loving every minute of it. Good luck with following your new creative path x
ReplyDeleteOoh I did Blog with Pip back in February, it was a good move, I'm glad I did it. More than anything it gave me an incentive to sort out some of the little niggling things I had been putting off doing. I hope you're having fun with it! x
DeleteGood for you Jacqui. A good decision always feels just right, and it sounds like it was the right decision for you. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteThanks Wendy :)
DeleteGood luck with your GD course it will be fun to be doing something new. It seems a lot of folk are having big changes at the moment. Look forward to reading about your design adventures.
ReplyDeleteThanks Liz. It's a nice feeling, to have something new that I'm really enjoying to sink my teeth into.
DeleteI love your post over at Think Big, Live Simply - and to learn that you're following your own path is heartwarming - so many of us are 'conditioned' and it is so very difficult to break free - well done you! flick x
ReplyDeleteThanks Flick - it's so true, it is really hard to break out of the conditioning we're used to. Thanks for reading :)
Deletex
congratulations on following your heart. AND on realising what you want to do - sometimes that is the hardest part. how to turn vague feelings of dissatisfaction and longing into real concrete direction. you're very inspirational.
ReplyDeleteThanks e :)
DeleteIt's been a loooooong time coming!