A little reflective post..
We have really picked up momentum with our decluttering efforts over the past month of so. As in, really picked up the pace. The list of things 'gone' includes two washing machines, a garden shredder, three chickens, two roosters, a massage table, a bloke stereo system, more than half of our books, household trinkets, some clothes, dvd's, cd's, gym equipment, sporting equipment, the list goes on. Looking back, it doesn't seem like so much, but I know there's things I've missed, and the simple fact that I can't even remember them tells me that - we just didn't need them.
It's interesting to take a good, honest look at the things we own, and truly consider why we own them, and whether we need to own them. Particularly things that have an emotional attachment of some kind. Family heirlooms, gifts from family, things held onto since childhood. I am finding that a lot of the 'stuff' that I've been hanging onto, and lugging around through house move after house move, has a relevance to me from a particular point in my life. And that hanging onto it is not necessarily healthy for me. So the decluttering of physical stuff is having a real impact on an energetic and emotional level for me.
Like the stamp album I put together in the weeks following the death of my father, when I was 13 years old. I had no interest in stamps. But is was something to do, something to fill the void (like that void can be filled), something to keep my hands busy and my mind ever so slightly focused, while my world crumbled around me. That stamp album remained on the bookshelf wherever I moved to. Never touched, never looked at, never with a reason to keep it. So I let it go. I packed it up with a bunch of other books into a box destined for the op shop. And then I forgot about it, until that particular box went into the big red bin, and I had the sudden realisation of what had been in there. And then a wave of nausea washed over me, and then I felt lightness. Letting go of such a small, innocent possession as a stamp album, but more importantly, letting go of what it represented for me. Allowing me to move on.
And the cat and mouse mugs, a Christmas gift from my mother in a different time and a different place. I want to let them go, as we have many more mugs than we need. And I don't particularly like them, I never did. They are ok. But there is some kind of emotional hold on them, such that every time I think 'right, they're going into the box', I resist and hold back. So they remain in the kitchen. Maybe tomorrow I will part with them, and all the others that have been gifts over the years (most of them). And make space for us to get some new (old) mugs of our very own.
And the music books from when I studied piano, so many years ago. Exercise books with my teacher's scribble filling the pages. Stuff, just stuff, tied to a different point in my life, and so totally unnecessary for my life now. And not just unnecessary, but actually, I feel, holding me back from being the person I need to be now. All these things that I've been letting go of are things of the earlier version of 'me', things keeping me stuck in that earlier version. Hindering the evolution into the me of now. I'm loving the process, the purging of the unnecessary, the consideration of every single thing I own. Do I need this? Do I use it? Does it have meaning for me? Am I holding onto it purely out of emotional attachment, and if so, am I prepared to let it go?
This is a very healing path, the decluttering. By the second and third round, at any rate. The first round? That's the easy stuff. The second, third, fourth? That's the stuff where the attachments lie. But the momentum builds, and so more stuff keeps going out the door. And as it goes, more space is created to be the person I am now, and let go of the person who got me here. The convoluted path and the emotional baggage of the past is not important. Here, now. That is what is important to me.

You are doing well and I agree that the first round is relatively easy although I have a long way to go. As for the stamp album you have the memory of why you did it but if you never ever look through it or it reminds you of sad times then what's the point of filling up space. Keep up the good work. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
ReplyDeleteThanks Kathy. The first round can take ages, it did for us. All the things we knew we didn't need, and it was just a case of getting around to moving them.
DeleteAgree so much the subsequent rounds are the hardest - decluttering has taught me that I'll always have the memories and emotions within me and I don't need the 'stuff' to remind me...but still, I keep some things for no other reason than that they remind me of a time or a person. x
ReplyDeleteYes absolutely! I'm keeping just a few things that I love that remind me of earlier times, but the excess 'stuff' is gone (or still going..).
DeleteThanks Becs x
I've been having a big declutter lately too- mostly excess towels and bed linen this time. I declutter a lot though, a little bit at a time, if something comes into the house, something usually needs to go out. I love the feeling of dropping bags of "stuff" into those op shop bins. My trouble is my husband's need to keep things like books- he loves to be surrounded by books. But you have to have somewhere to put them all, and I'm afraid this house doesn't have enough space/ storage for that. Most people would get a bigger house, but I always feel that you should shed some items so you don't feel so crowded. It's hard though, when family give you items or heirlooms that they expect you to keep- kind of feels like a burden if it's not something you treasure.
ReplyDeleteI've really started to live with that idea too, that if something comes in, something else goes out. It's such a good way to avoid accumulating stuff. It is so common to just get a bigger house, I think so much nicer to really only keep what you need. The books are hard, I well know! A year ago I did my first book cull and even then I had trouble, and it was only a handful of books. Family gifts and heirlooms can end up feeling like an obligation, can't they. We have decided to just declutter anyway here.. Most family know where we stand about being given stuff anyway (we ask to not be given stuff, doesn't always work..).
DeleteI get that same sick feeling too when I've made the final decision on an item that doesn't fit into my life any longer - will I regret it? what if I need it? I still have boxes sitting in my room from our move (over a year ago) that I am too scared to look through - but you've given me the courage to open them up - maybe just one box at a time. Thanks for your beautiful honesty, Flick x
ReplyDeleteGo you! I found that the momentum built here all by itself. One evening my husband put some books he didn't need or want in a box. I looked at the space on the shelf where they were and thought 'oh wow, that looks lovely' and started my book cull. And from there it just rolled! Start small, and enjoy the process. It feels good.
Deletex
Well done - once they're gone they're gone and its often hard to remember them after that - but take photos if you really want to remember something. I still get that sick feeling though!
ReplyDeleteIt's true, once they're gone that's it. There is a couple of things that I think 'I wonder if I could find that in the op shop again..' perhaps I went too far! But having less clutter in the house is just the best feeling.
DeleteThere is sometimes a strange synchronicity with your blogs and what I need to hear or think about. Your honest words made me a bit teary! I've been trying for a second round declutter of our little home and keep coming up against these emotional road blocks that make it so difficult to get rid of stuff. Kudos for your progress! Bron
ReplyDeleteOh wow, must be on the wavelength somewhere there. The emotional attachments are THE hardest. I read some things that helped me with that, basically that the emotion is not actually contained in the item. But I'm still struggling with it on a bunch of things too. Good luck :)
DeleteYes the attachment makes it very hard sometimes, but I read somewhere "take a photo" if it is something that needs to go but you can't let go.....keep the photo and you will have the memory, which is sometimes what we want/need, not the thing it's self.
DeleteKeep on you are doing well and inspiring me to keep going with my mess.
Best quote I have seen "If you Did get hit by a bus tomorrow, someone will have to deal with all this STUFF "
A year ago when I had the floors sanded and polished, it was awesome to have rooms so calm and uncluttered while everything from that end of the house was packed away, stuff really brings its own energy into a space, I should have thought long and hard about everything before I put it back, but one room at a time now is do-able.
Doing work in the house is a great way of helping declutter! We painted a room recently and put back about half of what was in the room once it was finished. I agree completely, stuff brings it's own energy into a space. Having too much of it can be pretty overwhelming.
DeleteGood luck with your mess!
Every time I read about your decluttering I think, that's it, I'm going to start! But then the sun comes out and the lure to the garden is too great .... nothing like a bit of sunny, gardening procrastination eh?!
ReplyDeleteI am inspired though. It will happen. Hubby really wants new camp chairs. So I told him he had to sell something else first. Partly to pay for them but partly to just get rid of some of his STUFF!!!
Oh yeah, well it's winter here now, so the lure to be warm inside is pretty strong… ;)
DeleteI like that, selling stuff to make way for new. We've done a bit of the same. Well, sold a lot of excess stuff, and hopefully won't be replacing it, but thinking about if we bring something new in, letting something old go out. It's a great idea. Good luck!
Post gives food for thought. I started to wonder what I need. From the strange things my mom is the one who very quickly gets rid of unnecessary things. I think in spite of holding a lot of unnecessary. Movers are the best for such thoughts.
ReplyDeleteEven now I know I have much more stuff than I need, after so much decluttering. Hopefully we will be moving soon so we will look again at what we really, really need.
DeleteIf you are having a big think about what to keep when you move, sometimes there are toys that are not worth keeping, I allways had 3 boxes and rotated them so every 3rd week there were "new" toys, much more interesting than 1 big box of same old, same old, every day.
DeleteI know it will be a while until you notice play based on imagination, but it is worth having a look at "Zach Aboard" blog, at the moment the post is about kids who play outside with whatever they happen to find, very interesting reading for any Mum as it is amazing what a huge amount kids are learning from this type of play....hope you enjoy it.
Thanks for the blog suggestion Margaret, I'll check it out. We love outside play, and he's forever got a leaf or a flower in his hand.
DeleteI have been on a decluttering journey for a while now. It feels fantatic! I recently took all of my childhood and teenage journals up to our block and burnt them in the fire. A few people couldn't understand why I would do that, but I wasn't proud of them. They reminded me of the person I used to be and not the person I am now. I carried so much emotionally with me back then that burning them was part of letting it all go.
ReplyDeleteI also have a pile of books that I'm getting rid of, so now I think I'm left with about 10. I go to the library all of the time so why hang on to them all?
I still have a garage to sort through but I'll get there. I'm pretty sure most of it will go to the tip to be honest!
I keep laughing because we are actually building a home more than twice the size of the one we're in and I'm quite worried about it. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I think we are going to have more space than we will know what to do with considering I keep getting rid of everything we have!
Isn't it funny that when we had way more money I was attached to everything so much more, and now we live on a lot lot less I'm happier to let it go?
Anyway, rambling now. Great post!
Ah I'm just going through the very last of my childhood/teenage school stuff that I kept. Assignments, exams, reports, graduation stuff. Most of it will go into a fire. I completely agree that a fire is the best way to deal with some things!
DeleteYes we go to the library regularly too, and I realised it's not worth buying a book I'm only going to read once, as I can just get it from the library. Books that I pick up over and over again, those are the ones I'm keeping. I found it so hard to let go of books but now that I have, it feels wonderful.
As for the garage, yep. Just yep!
So true, when I had more money I had heaps more 'stuff' and I'm much, much happier now. A few keepers from those days, but most of it, I just don't need.
Thanks for your comments :)