25 July 2014

In The Garden… winter pretties

It's been a while since I last did an In The Garden post. Simone over at With Vintage And Me kept up the posts after I decided I couldn't keep up, so this week I'm linking up with her for another little look at what's in my garden.

First up, the beautiful climbing rose that I must take a cutting from before we move (in a week). I'm not a huge rose person but I have always been completely smitten with this climber. It is such a beautiful colour and climbs so high. It's quite old. The flowers are rarely low enough to pick, but wind themselves so beautifully through a nearby plum tree.

The first snowdrop. I planted a bunch of bulbs around a little quince tree that I planted a few years ago now. It's all enclosed by a little rock wall with the herb garden around the other side. I love this little space, and seeing the bulbs start to appear is wonderful. Tulips will be on their way soon enough. I'm quite sad I won't get to see it fully come to life. Maybe I will get a chance to sneak back for a look before new owners take possession. 

My angelic little boy. Wandering in the garden on a sunny afternoon, freshly harvested celery in hand. I'm realising how sad I find it to leave this garden, as this was the space I would put my little baby down before he could crawl. And now he wanders and waddles all around the place, examining this, picking that. Scattering food for the chooks and just having a good old time of it. So many memories for me in this little garden space.



I absolutely love the winter garden. It's different from the abundance and energy of a summer garden, it moves at a slower pace. The sun, when it shines, is surprisingly warming. And the grey clouds that sit low most days make me truly appreciate this season, in all it's beauty.

What's happening in your garden this week?

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos Jacqui. I especially love the one of your son enjoying the backyard. I have enjoyed reading about your garden, thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone :) I'm so glad you kept up the weekly posts. It's nice to join in again now. x

      Delete
  2. It's hard to say goodbye to a garden, we put so much of ourselves into them. I am looking forward to reading about your new garden though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I'm starting to feel really excited about the new garden and the possibilities.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.