17 October 2014

This Permaculture Thing

A couple of weeks ago now we took a little drive to a spot about an hour from home to check out the permaculture garden at Melliodora, created by David Holmgren and his partner over the past 30-odd years. David Holmgren is one of the originators of the concept of permaculture. To be honest, I really didn't know what to expect, apart from the simple joy of having a poke around someone else's garden. 

Giant old pear tree.
A tree branch conveniently blocking our host's face.
A husband and a son.
What I didn't expect was to be so taken with what permaculture is, and what it isn't. I thought it was just  a way of gardening, really. But it is not just a way of gardening. And then on closer inspection, you could conclude that it is a type of counter-culture movement, but it is not a counter-culture movement. It is so much more than that. I don't even know really how to describe it. 

source
I think this 'permaculture flower' thing sums it up quite well. For me, it pulled together so many elements of our way of life, our beliefs, and what we plan for the future, all into one place. And there it is - all bundled up very neatly into this thing called permaculture. I'm fully immersed in reading a fascinating book on the subject (this one) right now, and it's refreshing, challenging and downright reassuring. 

We've definitely got some new ideas on how this garden will take shape here in our little corner of the world. Slow and steady is how we plan to go about it all. Already it's drying off so much and we've not even hit summer yet. A lot of our plans will have to wait until next year, or even later, but I guess that gives us time to make sure they are really good plans.

For more informative blog posts than mine about the Melliodora property, here are some good links:
Permaculture Parr
PermaCultured
and this interesting piece on Simple Lives.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I first encountered Permaculture about ten years ago and have been trying to live by it's ethics ever since (as far as I understand them anyway). The flower diagram is awesome too; it explains everything in one graphic organiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's been on my radar as one of those things I'd probably be into… but this is the first time I've looked closely. There's definitely lots to think about.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jacqui, we too encountered permaculture a while back, probably closer to 25 years ago when we met Bill Mollison. Our garden has evolved over time into what I usually refer to as messy gardening, but is probably still close to the heart of permaculture. There's a lot of knowledge to take on board, but there is also plenty of inspiration out there too - it can only be a positive step forward for all gardeners really. Have fun along the way. Cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that must have been when it was just a new idea. I think messy gardening is a good term, give me a messy garden over mown lawn any day. We are having fun, thanks Wendy :)

      Delete
    2. PS Jacqui - I guess you have heard about Pip magazine? https://www.pipmagazine.com.au/

      Delete
    3. I have seen it briefly, I'm yet to have a good look but maybe it's time I did.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for visiting us. Good to hear that our monthly tour has inspired you. Yes, it is the best way to see permaculture in action. best,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our pleasure. I'm sure we'll be back in a few years.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.