21 November 2014

Midweek Musings: Finding Meaning in Christmas

For a while now, I have been thinking about Christmas. Not about what presents to buy or anything like that. More about what it actually means to us, to me, and how we celebrate the occasion in our little home.

You see, I'm having trouble with it, to be honest. When I think about it, it really makes no sense. In fact a lot of things in Australia make no sense, when you consider that they are traditions from the Northern Hemisphere and we are all backwards and upside down, down here. You know? I mean, we're not backwards really (although from the current government elected by the people of this country, you could argue that point), but really - we celebrate Easter in autumn, and Halloween in spring, and surely these traditions are related to the seasons, yes? Hang on a sec, why do we even celebrate Halloween here? When I was growing up, it was barely heard of, and now it seems like any other major spend-money-on-stuff-you-don't-need occasion. 

And then there's Christmas. From what I can see of the mainstream, it's basically a jab in the arm for the economy. There's plastic trash piling up in shops, toys for kids and adults alike, tonnes and tonnes of junk that people don't need, and that will soon enough be discarded. But it's there to serve a purpose - so that you can spend money and give someone a gift at Christmas. Ok so not everything you might buy as a gift is junk, but I tell you what, when I flick through the catalogues that are hurled at our house (which reminds me, we must put that 'no junk mail' sign up…), but when I flick through them, mostly to see how the other half lives, I simply cannot fathom the amount of crap that the shops are selling.

So what is Christmas all about? We're not religious, and although I'm sure there was once upon a time a dude named Jesus who was all about love and peace and forgiveness (have I got that right?), I think many a tall tale has been spun in the name of religion. And I tend to think that religion, at it's core, is more about power and control than it is about any spiritual practice. No doubt I will offend people in saying that, but I cannot help but see through the tales and the lies. Perhaps it was my family upbringing that has instilled a disdain for the formal religion (my mother was a nun and got out, my father was almost certainly abused under the Catholic system). I don't know. I am most definitely a spiritual person, but organised religion… not my thing.

Anyway, back to the Christmas conundrum. I think for me, true meaning harks back to pre-Christian times, before the manipulation of seasonal celebrations and traditions, when celebrations were based on the earth and the seasons. But I know very little about these celebrations and traditions. And there are aspects to the festive season that I love: the winding down and bringing the year to a close, the sense of excitement, the giving and sharing, the food. So I'm not anti-gift-giving, by any means. I just have a preference for simple, thoughtful, (edible, seasonal, local), don't-cost-the-earth kind of gifts. And in moderation. Surely there are better ways we can show someone that we love them than to shower them with cheap crap?

I want my little boy to experience the joy of Christmas. I want to spend time making yummy seasonal treats, our own little traditions in this house, and the excitement of putting up the Christmas tree, and waking up to some gifts on Christmas morning. I want to make a pavlova to eat for dessert after the Christmas lunch. I want to spend time with close family. I want us to enjoy each other's company.

I do not want to feel an obligation to travel here, there and everywhere to see different people around Christmas time. I do not want to feel pressured to buy presents for people that I barely see during the year. I do not want to come away from the whole thing feeling like my boundaries have been completely trampled by well-meaning but not necessarily thoughtful folk.

So I don't really know. How do I explain to my little one why we put up a Christmas tree, when I can't really tell you myself? What about this little fat man that supposedly comes down the chimney with a sack full of presents? I know my husband isn't keen on that idea, and to be honest, I don't think I am either. I guess like everything in our life, we walk our own path, somewhere to the left of mainstream, and work it out as we go. And I remember the line I've read for a few years now on some of my favourite simple living blogs about gifts - something you want, something you need, something to read. I like that. I think it captures the essence of gift giving, without being excessive or over the top, and directs the gift buying (or making) towards meaningful things.

Tell me, what are your favourite Christmas traditions? What does Christmas mean to you?

13 comments:

  1. Thank you Jacqui for putting my thoughts into words regarding Christmas. I too cringe at the plastic trash piling up in shops, the cheap candy and the endless commericals. I distain the pressure the parents in my class put on me to have a Secret Santa at the end of year class party - as I don't believe the children need another round of cheap gift/toys, which are broken or forgotten about by the end of the day. In our extended family we've cut right back to one gift for a recipient drawn out of a hat and that I can tolerate.

    Our Christmas starts with a beautiful breakfast of eggs from our chooks, fresh orange juice from our orchard, bacon, berries and bubbles. We do Santa stockings (handmade by me over the years) for our adult daughter, each other, and in a fit of only-child madness our three cats! Each gift is small and thoughtful. Last year I got a massage voucher, a face mask, and board game. We always do a gingerbread man and orange in each stocking which is a tradition from my childhood. I love seasonal celebrations, but like you think they should be about friends, family, making things and reflecting on the reason for the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I think the pressure from outside family (or even within in some cases) can be so hard to deal with. Especially where kids are concerned. Imagine if, instead of buying more cheap gifts and toys, there was a food donation to someone in need instead. A giving tree, I suppose. I think that would be a lovely gesture for children.
      Your breakfast tradition sounds lovely. I've been planning on making gingerbread men in the next few weeks, I'm inspired to incorporate that into a festive season tradition in our house. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. We do not celebrate Christmas (not being Christians), at this time of year we have Summer Solstice (we call it Litha). We do have Yule, with all the trimmings; tree, hand made presents, feast and symbolic suns hanging everywhere (little shiny golden balls, lights and candles). At Yule we also have a visit from the Shaman (he brings our gifts) who tells us the story of where our traditions come from, what they mean; I would like to share it with you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otJva4kfbZg


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link Jude.
      I think it is a rare quality in people these days to know truly what they are celebrating and why. Your celebrations sound lovely, and meaningful.

      Delete
  3. I agree with a lot of your thoughts, Christmas was to celebrate the birth of Jesus, but it got mixed in with European pagan traditions and then commercialism sent the whole thing crazy.
    The gifts were a token gift to remind of the gifts of the 3 wise men, look where that went beserk, kids these days get so much toys and stuff all through the year that even the overwhelming excitement of Christmas is somewhat gone.
    I think within the family gathering it is nicer to have a draw for 1 person you will give a gift to, then it is your choice of what to make or find that will be special and bring joy for that person.
    It is so lovely to have your own personal family traditions any way you want, and as you say a lot of what we do has relevance to the European seasons, with Easter being mixed up with Spring rites and Christmas somewhat tied in with Winter pagan festivals.
    I think some of the things we do are magical for kids, a decorated tree for instance, so if you pick and choose what you are happy with and do some research into where the traditions started and why, your own family celebrations will be wonderful, personal, meaningful and celebrated with joy and happiness, not stress, worry and guilt over spending and consuming.
    You could ask both families about their ethnic heritage, look at some of that cultures traditions and celebrations and see what what you might like to keep or adapt for your home......have fun researching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think a lot of the Christmas celebrations really are magical for children, and I would not want my son to miss the excitement. So we are picking and choosing carefully, I suppose you could say.
      I like the idea of looking into family heritage, who knows what that might turn up. Some nice traditions, no doubt.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading everyones thoughts on Christmas. I recently had this conversation with my daughter because I was wondering why the Christmas season starts earlier and earlier every year - I even know a few people who decorate their homes before Thanksgiving! I think it has something to do with the feeling this season evokes. If you don't overdo things, you can enjoy time with family and friends, baking, making gifts, seasonal music, etc. People are friendlier and there is a general feeling of happiness in the air. So, maybe it's not Christmas Day as much as the feelings people experience at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does start earlier and earlier every year doesn't it. I would agree with that, the general feeling in the air is fairly jovial and happy, really. Festive.
      Sometimes too much is made of Christmas Day itself and it ends up being a bit of a let down. I think we'd like to keep the whole thing quite low key and just enjoy a nice day together. Simple in theory!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post! This year has been so much less about presents for me...one gift each for the immediate family and that's it. I've tried to buy Aussie made or edible. And I'm really looking forward to making a couple of our own traditions this year too. Christmas to me is definitely more about the food & spending time with our family- but gosh I bet it's a trickier path with kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becs :)
      The only presents I've even thought about are for my son to be honest! And they were mostly sorted months ago (amazingly). I think I'm much more inclined to go overboard with food, and putting pressure on myself to make this that and the other seasonal delight. And yes, it is a much trickier path with the little one, especially as he gets older. It was easy last year, he was still a baby.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I agree with you on just about everything there. We do at least live in the Northern Hemisphere where, pre Christianity, there were always midwinter celebrations so I try to think of it more on those lines. However, little one goes to a Church of England primary school (most primaries are CofE, you can't escape it, especially if you live in a small village) which has strong links to the local church, so the Christmas side of things, rather than Winter Festival are definitely in little one's teachings, although we do like to offer an alternative to him ;)
    I try to dull it all down a bit, but frankly, I don't want to spoil the fun for the little ones. They do get excited, they don't actually ask for much (it's probably us that has a habit of going 'oooooh he'd love that!!' ;) They also love hanging up their stockings by the fire for Santa and opening it up in the morning. We just put small things in there, I don't agree with Santa bringing all the presents ... surely family and friends bring the 'good stuff' and Santa just things for the stocking? Well, that's how I feel anyway, and hubby now thinks that too :) lol! So we have stockings by the fire first thing, still in PJs, then a yummy breakfast, then a walk and then they can start opening family presents. I really must make some present bags in the next couple of weeks.
    I'd say the house gets over decorated too, but that is entirely down to the little ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, that would be tricky, the primary school thing. I guess all you can do is offer the family beliefs at home. We've been picking out a little present here and there during the year and saving them up (I find that hard, having something he's love to play with and holding off giving it to him). I like the idea of low-key santa presents. It sounds lovely, stockings by the fire - so cozy. The opposite to here I'm afraid!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for being brave enough to share your thoughts. I enjoy getting together with family at this time of year, but the pressure to consume in the preceding weeks is frustrating. We don't go presents, decorations or fancy food. We're not religious, so Christmas is just about family. For the most part that takes the stress out of it for me. I think it would be especially difficult with young children and wanting them to "fit in" but still live your values. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.