![]() |
| Dot and Flossy |
Back in November, we had a little Wyandotte chick hatch. She grew into the most beautiful little chicken you can imagine, and we named her Dot. She was a really happy little lady, followed her mama hen around everywhere. Then when she was about 10 weeks old, she got a funny leg - like one leg was just giving way and couldn't support her. It was not very nice. So we took her to the vet, who told us she had a temperature and gave us antibiotics for her. We had to keep her quarantined for a week, away from the other chickens and her mama hen.
We kept her up near the house, and at night she slept in a cat carrier that we tucked away in the laundry. She took it all in her stride, although she seemed a bit depressed, and the leg got better. I was surprised to be honest, chickens are not alway the hardiest creatures. But I'm glad we took her to the vet, as she pulled through beautifully. However, when we took her back to the chook run, she was rejected by all the others. Her mama hen didn't want to know about her. She was so, so sad. And it made me so sad too.
After a couple of weeks, with not much change, and Dot just mooching around, barely coming out of the hen house and just being on her own all the time, I figured it was time to find her a friend. So I put a little ad on Gumtree, wanting a young Wyandotte hen to keep her company. Someone emailed me and said try my friend, so I did try the friend, and the next day we collected a little gold laced Wyandotte, a little younger than Dot but that was not a bad thing. We named her Flossy. We kept the pair of them quarantined for a night, so they would buddy up, then put them back with the others.
I am so glad we found a friend for Dot, now the pair of them are always together, they are the most beautiful little chickens (and so are the rest, of course), and they're back in the good books with the mama hen and her offsider. They have all bonded so well. And Dot is a beautiful, healthy, happy little chicken. I love a happy little ending!
* * * * *
And so to the giveaway winner. Not many entries people! I guess I've not talked much about crystals and how I use them in my life here on the blog, at least not for a couple of years. I use crystals a lot, for all sorts of things. Such as, I use a nice big piece of garnet to help heal an old scar from when a car knocked me off my bike, and I used it for morning sickness when I was pregnant, and I used it to help my blood after I had a miscarriage. And I used a piece of Tiger Iron for the same thing. And I have numerous pieces of rose quartz throughout the house. And I usually have a piece of Tibetan quartz stashed in a pocket somewhere. And I carry a piece of Amazonite if I feel I need a bit of extra warrior woman energy about me. Anyway, more about that another time perhaps. For now, the giveaway winner is Meg Smith - well done Meg! Thank you to all who entered, I wish I could give make everyone the winner. And thank you for supporting my little shop, it really means a lot to me.
And my apologies for posting the winner a day later than I said I would. We had some really big gusty winds in these parts which caused a bit of havoc and we had no power, and so no internet. It was a wide area of power outage too, it was a bit of a treat to have a night with no electricity around anywhere nearby. Although I did realise how much I like my creature comforts like lights and a warm shower.

Oh! That story made me so happy, I teared up. Yay for Dot and Flossy!
ReplyDeleteIt was heartbreaking to see little Dot so miserable, she's a really sensitive little hen. I'm so happy to see her happy again. And Flossy is a little cutie, I'm glad we have her now too.
DeleteLovely to hear a happy ending
ReplyDeleteI agree, especially with chickens as it so often isn't.
DeleteChickens in the yard behave like children in the school yard. I always love to see them getting along, but there is always a 'pecking order' and disruptions to that mean there will be conflict.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard to watch when the others bully one of the flock.....what a great solution though..so glad to hear that they are all happily getting along now. It is normal though for the mother's to ignore the chicks once they get to about 10 - 12 weeks old. The chicks I raised in November still clamber around their mum but she is not very interested...I think it's like kicking them out of the nest.
ReplyDelete