My biggest intention for 2016 is to get back to simple living, after feeling like I've let go of so much of what I had intentionally created in previous years. Part of the learning experience, I suppose. I have to say that, now living in a small city, I struggle to pull back the 'simple' as I feel the rush, the bustle and the busy so intensely. So that is part of my work, now, being in a place that doesn't necessarily feel mindful, simple or slow, yet being able to bring those aspects back into my own life. Living in the country definitely, in my experience, makes it easier to live simply. And I am yearning to go back, but the journey really begins on the inside, so I will be taking steps every day to get back to my simple, mindful, sustainable life - all the things I started writing this blog for back at the start.
I bought myself a special little journal book, to become my gratitude journal. I suppose I feel like I've been drifting along in my life the past year, lost my way somewhat, and it's time to get serious about doing the things I want to be doing in this life, one journal entry at a time. In truth, I probably haven't 'lost' my way so much as found my way, just a bit differently than before. All the small changes along the way - this little thing and that little thing - the little changes we can make, once they become the new 'norm', can result in a big change in how we live. And I guess that's what this journal is helping me do, on a daily basis, little by little and step by step. Starting now.
Being in a state of gratitude for what we already have is such a wonderful place for bringing in even more things to feel grateful for. By being grateful for what we have, it suddenly starts to become 'enough' and sometimes even more than enough. The more we practice being grateful, the more we have to feel grateful for. It all comes down to energy - what we focus our energy on is what we 'vibrate' at (since everything is energy), and since like attracts like, we draw in and are drawn to, other energy that vibrates like us. So in being grateful, we draw in more situations, circumstances, opportunities and people that we can feel grateful for. Being very mindful of what we are giving our attention, our energy to, is so important in creating the life we want.
My daily gratitude journal writing is in two parts - the first is what I'm feeling grateful for, and the second is what I'm dreaming about - the things I want to bring into my life and my experience. The two combined are a powerful way of bringing dreams and intentions to reality. It all comes down to that focusing of energy, being in a state of gratitude for what we have and focusing in on what we want. I actually started writing in my gratitude journal a few days ago now and I'm loving the experience. I've committed myself to writing in it daily for the year (and hopefully for many years) and of course there will be days and phases where I don't feel like doing it, where life is too busy, I'm too tired or any other excuse the ego can possibly come up with. But my intention is that it happens daily, because it is important.
And one of the things that I've been dreaming about lately is knitting, which I knew how to do when I was a kid. Starting back down that path, dreaming of knitted little jumpers and knitted big cardigans. And lavenders, I'm forever dreaming of lavenders.
Do you keep a gratitude journal? What are you dreaming of in 2016?

What a great idea, and what a timely post. I have lost so much that I have been grateful for and took joy in over the last two weeks. There has been death after death in my little family ( a very close friend, one of my big sheep and my precious Shaun). BUT I have to give my energy to the things I can be grateful for, even in this. There is no more suffering for those who have gone, there is less work for me in the heartbreaking job of caring for them and now there is more room for new loves.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for reminding me there is a life beyond grief, I will wait patiently, weather the storms and look for the light at the end of this particular tunnel.
I'm so sorry to hear of your losses Jude. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm so glad this post has helped you.
DeleteKeeping a gratitude journal really works, you will find it a wonderful calming habit to have,I did mine last thing at night.
ReplyDeleteI was going through a divorce and big stressful changes at work and a flatmate left and rent became a big problem. ...I hit the wall and ended up on antidepressants .
I had to stop the continuous loop of negativity in my thoughts, so every night I would write 3 things I was grateful for, sometimes as simple as a delicious salad for dinner,or a phone call from my daughter.
It took about a year but I realised I could survive on my own, be ok financially and changed my job from stressful retail admin to Nannying......get paid for what you love and no more medication !
It was such a huge relief to know that a year had passed and I was OK.
Have you thought about moving to a warmer climate where food will grow all year and heating and warm clothing expenses won't be a problem.
Happy new year and best wishes for all that you are hoping for with your little family.
Thanks for your comment Margaret, I can relate to all the stressors! It's funny how the things we find we're grateful for are such 'small' things - the small things really do matter.
DeleteI have thought about warm climates many times, but there's something I love so much about chilly winter days and woollen clothes and gloomy light. It's in my blood.
Happy new year to you also!