5 March 2013

Being Happy With What We Have

We don't watch much TV in our house. There's a couple of reasons for that. One is that most shows tend to be crap. But we do find the odd good show, usually on ABC. And because watching TV isn't something we do much of, we really enjoy and appreciate those nights when we do just sit back and watch something entertaining. The other reason we don't watch is because we can't stand the commercialism of TV. Ad breaks are so frequent, and the ads themselves are so loud and intrusive [seriously, what's with making the ad louder than the TV show?]. I literally can't stand it, it's just a horrible blur of background noise to me. So usually, the TV stays off.

An upside of not watching much TV [actually there are heaps of upsides] is that we aren't exposed to much of the commercial aspect of life. The latest products that we have to have, that will make our life better, or make us look better, or that will make our neighbours envious of us. And we LOVE not being exposed to that world. Because we decided to live our lives differently to that. We don't need to have the latest gadgets to be happy. We don't need the latest trendy clothes to be happy. We don't need to buy a new car every other year to be happy. And we don't need to compare our life to what is shown on TV. Ever. [Although we are doing work on kitchen... are those home renovation shows still popular?] 
Happy with what we have - fresh vegetables from our garden.

We enjoy what we think is a simple life. We live in a tiny country town, in an affordable house with an imperfect bathroom, and a yard that is a work-in-progress. A sometimes-really-depressing-to-look-at-because-it's-all-taking-so-long work in progress. Perhaps we would be happier if we had more money? We could afford to spend more cash on bringing our garden up to scratch. But then, that wouldn't make the plants grow any faster, and it wouldn't make the rain fall in summer, and it wouldn't give us the satisfaction of watching the garden grow and evolve. And being in the location we are, we don't have the temptation of shops and malls filled with shiny pretty things we don't need, calling to us to part with our hard-earned.

Are we any happier for the choices we've made? I think so. I mean, at times it's frustrating to live in a small town, without the trappings of modern city life. But it's also very liberating. It allows us to live on one income, so I can study and be at home with our soon-to-arrive baby. And one day, I'll be the one providing the income so Charles can study or do whatever he wants to do. Every day we're wanting to step further and further away from being 'locked in' to the commercial terms of life. It's a bit like peeling an onion. Layer after layer, slowly stripping away our reliance on modern conveniences, becoming more self sufficient, and allowing us to live more fully how we intend to, not how we 'have' to. A day at a time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about everything in this modern world. I am thankful for my macbook, and our internet connection, and our cars [I would prefer if that read 'car']. And sometimes, life is not made simpler by living in a small town [eg the need for two cars]. Our impatience to have our 'perfect simple life' has to be tempered. For now, we are where we are. We have what we have. We have the things that are important to us, and we don't want for things that we don't need. Except for things on Etsy. And there you have it. I may not watch much TV and I'm not stuck in the mainstream commercial traps, but give me an Etsy shop full of handmade loveliness and I'm in constant state of  'want'.

Overall though, we're pretty happy with what we have.

12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a life like that. Right now we live in the city, but we dream of taking over my parents house in the woods in the south of Norway. It's so peaceful and quiet there. We just came home from a winter vacation there. See the pictures here:

    http://thishouseblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A house in the woods sounds divine. We both used to live in cities too, and we moved to progressively smaller and smaller towns. I do miss some parts of city life!

      Delete
  2. Etsy has that effect. I spend far too much time on that site favouriting things, haha.
    TV is such a nuisance. Me and my boyfriend tune in for Once Upon A Time on Sundays and that's it. Commercials are obnoxious, most shows aren't that great, and cable is expensive. I don't know how anyone right out of college (like me and the people I live with) can afford cable. We get the basic channels and that's it and have the TV so we can play Mario Kart, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I really don't get paying for TV! We thought about getting rid of our TV for a while but it's good for watching DVD's too :).

      Delete
  3. We have a TV, but it's not hooked up to anything so if we watch anything it's on our computer. It's so nice to avoid all of those loud commercials. Seriously, why are they so much louder? In today's world it's so easy to forget how to be happy with what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is with the commercials being so much louder? Whenever I do see them, I always put the TV on mute anyway.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jacqui-
    I am proud to say I have not seen a commercial in over three years! How?! We don't have cable or even bunny ears to get local stations. All we have is streaming Netflix. We mainly watch foreign movies or documentaries (I post up movies every Wednesday on my blog). Sometimes I pick out old shows and watch them (like when Parks and Recreation is updated, or How I met your mother..)We don't miss having cable one bit. Especially the commercials. We are living a very similar life to your own.

    We buy all our food from the farmer's market or grow it ourselves. I have my own shop in which I make all organic soaps/ lip balms. So having soap is never an issue for us too! I love our life and how simple we are making it.

    I've lived in a lot of big cities and traded it in for small town life. I miss living in a city every once in a while, but I would never move back to one.

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trisha!
      You know just lately I've been thinking seriously about making my own lip balms, soaps etc. How cool that you're already doing it! Yeah we use the TV mostly for DVD's or box sets of shows and we're so behind the times that we get series a couple of years after they've run usually. And no commercials :).
      I would never move back to a big city either - all it takes is 2 days in Melbourne and I go stir crazy. Love the small town life.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Yup - I have my etsy shop: The Hive Botanicals and am having a lot of fun doing it.

      Yeah right now we just started watching "Damages" its from 2007. I don't even ever remember hearing about this show when we had tv. Even when we had cable etc we really didnt watch it much- Just some HBO shows and lots of clicking and clicking trying endlessly to find something worth watching.

      xx

      Delete
    3. Love your etsy shop! Looks beautiful.
      Oh Damages! We watched all of series 1-4 of that last winter, it kept us going for months! It's so dark, but so addictive. I think we were a bit lost when we finished it. Enjoy!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Couldn't agree more! Man we are on the same wave :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand you. For example :We don't have a car because we don't need. Some people ask why. I do not need a car as you can get everywhere by bike etc

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.