This is the final of my three part birth story series. Here I'm talking about all the natural methods we used in the lead up to and during my labour, to help the process along. See also the previous two posts in this series - Birth Story Part 1 - As It Happened and Birth Story Part 2 - A Natural Childbirth.
Part 3: Natural Methods
It should come as no surprise when I tell you that I'm a big believer in 'natural' methods - modern medicine takes very mechanical view of the body and holds little regard for the interconnections that exist or for the life force itself. My biggest fears during my pregnancy were not anything to to with the natural process of giving birth; rather, they were fears based around what might happen to me in a hospital situation when I was in a weakened and vulnerable state. But because I had these fears, Charles and I spent a lot of time considering what we wanted to achieve in the birth situation, and learning how we could help ourselves obtain that outcome. Part of that was learning what natural means we could employ for different situations that might come up during and in the lead up to the labour and birth. These are some of the things we used and found effective.
Raspberry Leaf Tea
My midwife suggested this to me at my last anti natal appointment at 38 weeks [I never made my 39 week appointment, I had a baby instead!]. So I hopped into the local health shop and got some straight away. Apparently it can be used during the latter half of the third trimester, and according to the label, it helps to 'tone' the uterus. I'm not sure exactly what that does. I drank a few cups some days, it tasted ok and was a nice change. Did it make baby come along when he did? I have no idea. I can't tell whether my uterus was any more toned or not either. I would say it didn't do me any harm.
Moxibustion
This is a method used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), which we used extensively throughout my pregnancy, mainly around the sacral area to loosen up and release any blockages in that area [kinda important for that whole area to be loose and able to open up during childbirth]. From about 37.5 weeks, we used the moxa on a point on my little toes, which helps baby into a good birthing position, head down. Baby was most inclined to lie transverse across my belly, so we gave him a helping hand to get his head down. After the first time we tried this method, I felt him move the very next day into a lower head position. We did this every couple of days, no rocket science involved, just gut feel. And baby was in a great position for birth.
Acupressure
Also from the TCM school, we used acupressure points with fantastic results. Partly throughout my pregnancy, similar to the moxa, but most significantly as a form of pain management during labour. Charles used points on my backside, with a lot of pressure when contractions were strong, and I have to say, it was amazing. As in, if a contraction came and he wasn't there, I would be shouting for him to get there. On a scale of 1 to 5, for me, I would say these points took the intensity from a 5 out of 5, down to a 4 out of 5. That may not sound like much, but it went from being 'way too intense' to 'I can deal with this'. Another acupressure point Charles tried on me was on the soles of my feet, to help the labour along. At one point I became aware that he had my feet in his hands, and realising what he was up to, promptly told him to stop it [those contractions were hard enough without adding any extra intensity!]. Anyway on both counts, for me, acupressure worked brilliantly.
Clary Sage
This essential oil has a reputation for bringing on contractions/making labour more intense etc. In my experience, this was the case, and it was very effective. Charles first lit the oil burner with clary sage when I was about 3 hours into labour at home, and although I wasn't so much aware of what he was doing at the time, I was very much aware of the instant increase in the intensity of my contractions. Only then did I realise that the clary sage was being used. Again at the hospital, once I was in the bath, Charles lit the oil burner, and after a short time I had to ask him to put it out, such was the increase in intensity. Anyway it definitely got things going again after labour stalled a little bit with the hospital commotions. Don't use it unless you're prepared for the consequences! We also used lavender essential oil to help relax and calm.
Hypnobirthing
I'd heard a bit about hypnobirthing, but hadn't paid much attention, until I was a month or so out from my due date. Then I started googling, read up on it, and ended up buying a couple of hypnobirthing soundtracks. I listened to them most days [actually, I would lie down with the tracks playing, hear the first few minutes, then wake up some time later]. I have to say it worked for me, in terms of putting me in a good, positive head space for being in labour and giving birth. I played one of the tracks on repeat during the first couple of hours of labour [birthing affirmations] and found it wonderfully calming. Hypnobirthing helped me to be aware of what my body was doing, so I could accept it and help, rather than resist it [therefore making labour harder and longer]. And all without having to do anything much other than have a sleep most days!
Birthing Environment
My preference would have been to have a home birth, but for a number of reasons it just wasn't an option. Home is a very 'safe' environment, which is conducive to labour and birthing. Being in an unfamiliar environment, with unfamiliar faces, bright lights, loud noises, medical equipment everywhere and potential for cold were all things we wanted to avoid. We were lucky that the hospital we attended had only two midwives, both of whom were present for my labour, and no-one else entering the room. We double and triple checked that this would be the case during my anti natal appointments. We dimmed the lights in the bathroom and created the most welcoming environment that we could. After all, this was going to be our baby's first taste of the world! We wanted it to be calm, warm, welcoming; not cold, hard or harsh in any way. I still would have preferred to be at home, but I'm satisfied with the environment we had created in the end.
Magnesium
This wonderful element is really effective at relaxing muscles, which is pretty important [read: critical] during labour and childbirth. We used it also throughout my pregnancy, as it totally solved leg cramps and twitches. We bought it in a powdered form from the health shop, and apart from drinking it every night before bed [except for the odd night when I was just too tired to be bothered, and then suffered twitchy leg for my laziness], I drank it throughout the day when I was labouring. Charles was the one who kept up my supply, routinely handing me some to sip on throughout the day. I can only assume it was effective during labour, based on how effective it was during my pregnancy.
So that essentially covers the natural methods we used to help in various ways during my labour and in the lead up to the big day. We had faith that these methods would work for us, but at the same time it's hard to know until it actually happens. If you're thinking of using natural methods for yourself, do your research and make your own decisions about what you think will work. Listed below are links to some of the resources we used and which we found effective. I'm very happy with how these methods worked for us and I'm very happy that I didn't have to resort to medical assistance. Basically, using these methods allowed us to be in control of how the labour and birth unfolded, rather than being at the whim of medical professionals who often see things differently to us.
Raspberry Leaf Tea
My midwife suggested this to me at my last anti natal appointment at 38 weeks [I never made my 39 week appointment, I had a baby instead!]. So I hopped into the local health shop and got some straight away. Apparently it can be used during the latter half of the third trimester, and according to the label, it helps to 'tone' the uterus. I'm not sure exactly what that does. I drank a few cups some days, it tasted ok and was a nice change. Did it make baby come along when he did? I have no idea. I can't tell whether my uterus was any more toned or not either. I would say it didn't do me any harm.
Moxibustion
This is a method used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), which we used extensively throughout my pregnancy, mainly around the sacral area to loosen up and release any blockages in that area [kinda important for that whole area to be loose and able to open up during childbirth]. From about 37.5 weeks, we used the moxa on a point on my little toes, which helps baby into a good birthing position, head down. Baby was most inclined to lie transverse across my belly, so we gave him a helping hand to get his head down. After the first time we tried this method, I felt him move the very next day into a lower head position. We did this every couple of days, no rocket science involved, just gut feel. And baby was in a great position for birth.
Acupressure
Also from the TCM school, we used acupressure points with fantastic results. Partly throughout my pregnancy, similar to the moxa, but most significantly as a form of pain management during labour. Charles used points on my backside, with a lot of pressure when contractions were strong, and I have to say, it was amazing. As in, if a contraction came and he wasn't there, I would be shouting for him to get there. On a scale of 1 to 5, for me, I would say these points took the intensity from a 5 out of 5, down to a 4 out of 5. That may not sound like much, but it went from being 'way too intense' to 'I can deal with this'. Another acupressure point Charles tried on me was on the soles of my feet, to help the labour along. At one point I became aware that he had my feet in his hands, and realising what he was up to, promptly told him to stop it [those contractions were hard enough without adding any extra intensity!]. Anyway on both counts, for me, acupressure worked brilliantly.
Clary Sage
This essential oil has a reputation for bringing on contractions/making labour more intense etc. In my experience, this was the case, and it was very effective. Charles first lit the oil burner with clary sage when I was about 3 hours into labour at home, and although I wasn't so much aware of what he was doing at the time, I was very much aware of the instant increase in the intensity of my contractions. Only then did I realise that the clary sage was being used. Again at the hospital, once I was in the bath, Charles lit the oil burner, and after a short time I had to ask him to put it out, such was the increase in intensity. Anyway it definitely got things going again after labour stalled a little bit with the hospital commotions. Don't use it unless you're prepared for the consequences! We also used lavender essential oil to help relax and calm.
Hypnobirthing
I'd heard a bit about hypnobirthing, but hadn't paid much attention, until I was a month or so out from my due date. Then I started googling, read up on it, and ended up buying a couple of hypnobirthing soundtracks. I listened to them most days [actually, I would lie down with the tracks playing, hear the first few minutes, then wake up some time later]. I have to say it worked for me, in terms of putting me in a good, positive head space for being in labour and giving birth. I played one of the tracks on repeat during the first couple of hours of labour [birthing affirmations] and found it wonderfully calming. Hypnobirthing helped me to be aware of what my body was doing, so I could accept it and help, rather than resist it [therefore making labour harder and longer]. And all without having to do anything much other than have a sleep most days!
Birthing Environment
My preference would have been to have a home birth, but for a number of reasons it just wasn't an option. Home is a very 'safe' environment, which is conducive to labour and birthing. Being in an unfamiliar environment, with unfamiliar faces, bright lights, loud noises, medical equipment everywhere and potential for cold were all things we wanted to avoid. We were lucky that the hospital we attended had only two midwives, both of whom were present for my labour, and no-one else entering the room. We double and triple checked that this would be the case during my anti natal appointments. We dimmed the lights in the bathroom and created the most welcoming environment that we could. After all, this was going to be our baby's first taste of the world! We wanted it to be calm, warm, welcoming; not cold, hard or harsh in any way. I still would have preferred to be at home, but I'm satisfied with the environment we had created in the end.
Magnesium
This wonderful element is really effective at relaxing muscles, which is pretty important [read: critical] during labour and childbirth. We used it also throughout my pregnancy, as it totally solved leg cramps and twitches. We bought it in a powdered form from the health shop, and apart from drinking it every night before bed [except for the odd night when I was just too tired to be bothered, and then suffered twitchy leg for my laziness], I drank it throughout the day when I was labouring. Charles was the one who kept up my supply, routinely handing me some to sip on throughout the day. I can only assume it was effective during labour, based on how effective it was during my pregnancy.
So that essentially covers the natural methods we used to help in various ways during my labour and in the lead up to the big day. We had faith that these methods would work for us, but at the same time it's hard to know until it actually happens. If you're thinking of using natural methods for yourself, do your research and make your own decisions about what you think will work. Listed below are links to some of the resources we used and which we found effective. I'm very happy with how these methods worked for us and I'm very happy that I didn't have to resort to medical assistance. Basically, using these methods allowed us to be in control of how the labour and birth unfolded, rather than being at the whim of medical professionals who often see things differently to us.
Moxibustion, Acupressure, TCM during pregnancy [link to a book by Heather Bruce]
Birthing workshop by Rhea Dempsey [general birthing education]
Birthing workshop by Rhea Dempsey [general birthing education]
Hypnobirthing soundtracks
Read Part 1 of my birth story - As It Happened
Read Part 2 of my birth story - A Natural Childbirth?
Oh that's cool, I'll have to check out some TCM information. We used accupressure in the last birth I attended and it really worked quickly. That's cool that you used TCM to turn your baby! I'll have to look into magnesium too. Thanks for all the tips!
ReplyDeleteOh cool, you must get to see so much! I'm so fascinated with the whole subject of having babies now. I'm thinking that I would like to work in this area in some capacity myself one day.
Delete