10 May 2013

What I Miss Most About Working

So I'm a mum at home with a new baby. I think for some, it is a really challenging stage of life, when you suddenly stop going to work every day and instead spend most of your time in the house. Less so for me I think, as I left my day job 12 months ago, and spent much of last year feeling housebound, before it passed. And I love my lot in life, seriously, I would not change a thing. Except perhaps ask Mother Nature for a bit more rain. But every now and then I miss having a day job. 

Mostly, I miss having someone to talk to. Not your deep and meaningful kind of conversation or a close friend or anything. It's the little banter, and being able to chat about really quite irrelevant things. And never more so than on a Friday, when I'm doing my footy tips [good little Aussie that I am], and I have this need to ask: who did you tip? [Specifically, Melbourne vs Gold Coast, who did you tip?] I don't do it to copy by the way, I just have an intrinsic need to verbalise.
She refuses to tell me who she'd tip.

I remember being in Grade 5 and being made to sit by myself all year because I talked too much to the kid sitting next to me. Funny thing is, I never thought of myself as someone who talks a lot. I suppose it may be true. I do love a good chat. Anyway that's what I miss most about going off to work every day. Not the career, or the status, or earning the money. Just having someone who will reply when I ask silly questions about things such as football. 

I guess I don't miss my day job very much at all then. And for the record, I'm tipping Gold Coast. Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I am currently unemployed (I do freelance writing and sell my jewelry right now) and I have to say not having anyone to talk to all day is what gets to me the most. I think I talk to me cat more than is probably normal at all xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard! I talk to cats and dogs and baby. I think having the internet is what keeps me sane, as sad as that might sound.

      Delete
  2. I'm not exactly sure what tipping is. But I know what you mean about this. A lot of people at my work are going to work at home, and I don't think I'd like that. I want to have somewhere to go, and keep home and work seperate and have someone to see and talk to every day. Do you think stopping work so much before you had your little guy helped you have more time to adjust to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think working from home would be great - but it's hard to switch off from 'home' mode. You have to stop noticing all the things around the house that need to be done. Yeah if I had gone straight from working to having a baby, I think it would have been a really hard adjustment. I'm glad I had time to get used to being in the house all day. I can understand how some mums end up feeling lonely and housebound.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.