29 June 2013

Garden Share Collective: Chicken Proofing the Vegie Garden

Recently I was contacted by Lizzie of Strayed From The Table about being involved in the Garden Share Collective, a monthly peek into the vegie gardens of bloggers from all over the place. Which I thought was great, and I'm delighted to be taking part. Here is my first post sharing my vegie garden - very much in need of some TLC right now!

It's winter, and despite all the best intentions of planting peas, broad beans, spinach and various other bits and pieces, I've planted... nothing. Now before the judgements commence, let me just say - 3 month old baby. The last time I did any real work in the garden was about 48 hours before he was born. So I have a reasonable excuse. The other problem I've experienced should be fairly self explanatory from the following images.

Those chickens. I blame George [the 'hen' we had named Georgette who matured into a rooster named George]. You see we do have a fence around the vegie garden, just chook wire, so it's not very high. And for a while it did keep them out. And I suspect that if we'd only had the girls, they probably wouldn't have gone in there at all. But with George roaming here there and everywhere, of course he hopped over and of course they all followed and now the whole garden is a complete mess. 

So I've been unwilling to spend time planting seeds or seedlings, knowing that it will be a futile effort with our feathered friends scratching about in there. And I've been a bit stumped as to how to keep them out. We could clip their wings, but I'd prefer not too as it renders them unable to get out of the way of predators. So this is my first attempt at solving the problem - jute webbing around the top of the fence. I'm hoping that the chooks don't try to hop on the fence, as it won't be stable enough to hold them. 

Fingers crossed it works. The plan was/is to plant some peas and spinach and see how they go. We do get frosts but I'll cover them with shade cloth overnight. I've never planted a winter vegie garden before, only summer gardens, so it's all very experimental. In any case, we do have a success story to share. The broccoli that got stripped by caterpillars in summer, is now producing lovely little heads, which I've been picking here and there. We left the plants in, more through laziness than anything, and now we're being rewarded with home grown broccoli goodness. Sometime lazy pays off.

Hopefully next month I'll be able to report complete success at keeping the chickens at bay. If you have any other suggestions to try, by all means, please tell me! And for more vegie garden love, head over to the Garden Share Collective and take a look. And here's a photo of my baby, for good measure, because he's gorgeous.
This is how we garden.

15 comments:

  1. I reeeeally wish I had a place where I could have a veggie garden.
    I hope you've solved your chicken problem! -fingers crossed-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try pots near a window? I've never had much success that way but apparently other people do...
      Yes fingers crossed

      Delete
  2. I think that we in Scotland we have a summer like you winter. night temperatute 9 st Celsius. In the days of 14 -18 degrees cold summer we have. We are very happy as it is not raining. Best grown carrots and potatoes here :-)
    Your son is a wonderful {you know :-)} I think every year your garden will look better and better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a chilly summer! When it rains our nights are about 9 degrees.
      I hope every year the garden gets better. I can't wait to show my boy about growing vegies, I'll need to get him his own little spade and gumboots. When he's a bit bigger :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jacqui, I'm visiting from the collective this morning :) That broccoli looks great, you will probably find that other brassicas do well at this time of year too. Chickens can be a major frustration in my garden too. I clip their wings if they fly over the fence, it doesn't see to affect them, also we go for a heavy breed, the Rhode Island Reds don't fly well. I hope you get them under control soon, that garden set up looks fantastic! Cheers, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so cute!
    On to the chooks - have you thought about clipping their wings? We use to do it only on one side so they could still get up to their roost at night. After a few months of not being able to fly over a fence they soon learn that they can not get into the garden. If you get frost, cabbages, kale, broccoli (which you have thriving) and silverbeet should be able to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think growing a 3 month old baby is work enough for anyone!! Good luck on the chook proofing - a friend's chooks could fly to the tops of trees without wing clipping, so maybe feeding them REALLY REALLY well might help. :) Love you beds though - they are the business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that keeps your chickens out of the garden. Those pesky roosters! I hope you get to plant your winter garden, I'd love to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also hated the idea of clipping their wings we have a lot of predators here also, we ended up replacing our fence last year with a 6 foot one and that has fixed our problem (with the chickens and goats :) congrats on the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I dream of a 6 foot fence! They might yet end up with their own specially fenced off area...

      Delete
  8. You do have your hands full; your baby son is gorgeous and, you are so lucky to have a rooster! The jute idea is good. Do you throw them fresh greens twice daily in their pen? You will have more time in the future as your son grows. Your garden beds are well organised though and perfect for planting. It is an excellent chicken photo :D
    Cheers Merryn@merrynsmenu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the first person to see having a rooster as a positive thing! He's a pretty nice bird, I guess we are a bit attached to him now. He's still naughty though. I spent hours building that vegie garden last year, it's still not finished, an ongoing evolution is probably the best way to describe it. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Jacqui, venturing over from the GSC, great to find your blog and congrats on the new arrival.

    I agree with Jeanie, baby trumps turnips. Always! And hey, you have chooks so, you know, you've well and truly got your hands full! I can't offer any advice on how to keep those pesky chooks at bay but I can say that once you get that situation under control you'll be going great guns, I'm sure. All the best, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, agreed - baby trumps turnips! I'm looking forward to showing him the delights of vegie gardening and keeping chickens. One day the chicken problem will be solved!

      Delete
  10. Welcome to the collective! Apparently you're not the only one in the collective with chicken issues. Your broccoli looks so much larger than mine and your garden is huge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.