Well, it's hardly surprising, really. I'm tired. Today I finally feel really, really tired. A more interrupted than usual night, which saw me sighing and putting the kettle on at 4am instead of continuing the battle for more sleep. I have only myself to blame. I ate bread last night. We were down to bits and pieces left in the cupboards, my planned grocery shop didn't eventuate [I knew it wouldn't when I squeezed in that 20 minute bike ride]. So we agreed that leftover soup would suffice for dinner, rounded out with some cheese on toast.
| A not-so-tired day. |
We are blessed living where we do. It's a solid drive to nearby towns for a supermarket shop, takeaway isn't an option, nor is a quick cafe fix. All good points in my book. But we do have a general store in town for the essentials of life - milk [not soy yet but I really should ask for it], tea, chocolate. And bread. Baked at a bakery in the town I used to live in, so it's not the mass-produced commercial bread. It is yummy bread. There's just one little problem with it - a thing called gluten.
I make an effort to avoid eating gluten. I actually started avoiding gluten when I was pregnant. At 14-15 weeks, when I was thinking my energy levels would pick up somewhat, I was more exhausted than ever. I went to my TCM doctor, who gave me some great reading about eating during pregnancy, and gluten was one of the things best avoided. I tried it, and low and behold, felt about a million percent better for it. So that's where the avoiding gluten started. And I've just kept it up.
I still eat gluten in small amounts, but bread, pasta, flours - are generally of the gluten-free variety or avoided. And small amounts aren't a problem. So I figured a bit of bread wouldn't be a problem either. Oh but it was. Cue 8 hours past the first bits of bread being eaten, and my darling boy had an upset tummy. It happened once before too, with a yummy bread eaten for lunch, and our baby boy in tears and unconsolable that night. My poor baby, with a sore tummy that we can't do anything about, and all because I ate bread.
So, I am off the bread for good now. I should point out that there was extra gluten added to this bread, not just what was in the wheat flour alone. The mass produced bread is probably easier to eat, sadly. It's a horrible feeling, knowing that my breastmilk is giving my baby a sore tummy. I'm refusing to be a guilty mum though. Best to just learn and move on.
So that's why we were extra tired today.
when I breast fed my son slept badly when I ate food with gluten and lactose.Through the food I had a lot of sleepless nights. Finally, I ate only potatoes. We helped a baby massage course, but rather to help my son. Although I believe that breastfeeding is the best for baby but I stand it just three months. I send you a lot of good energy.
ReplyDeletePs He is so cute
Thank you Joanna :-)
DeleteHi Jacqui, I haven't quite worked out the comment/reply thing on my blog yet, so in case you didn't get it this is were I got the recipe for the spelt bread (http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-bake-spelt-bread). There is also a video you can watch which I found helpful. Oh and the mandarins were delicious, sweet and juicy.
ReplyDelete