6 June 2013

Just Living


Those chickens. As soon as they see us they come running. I trained them to come when I had the chook bucket full of our kitchen scraps to feed them. Now they just come running all the time. This is them, and Pepper cat, trying to join us on our daily walk. I sent them home again [read: I threw an apple core towards home]. They wander too far as it is.

These days are pretty quiet, really. We have some routines happening. Like a play in the play gym after a mid-morning nappy change, which gives this mama a chance to do a couple of hands-free things around the house. Then we go and feed the baby chickens, of which there are now only two. They are growing fast also. 

We take a walk when we can, rugging up against the chilly June air. Sunny days are becoming further and further apart, and the dusty roads are now wet and muddy. Everywhere around is green from recent rain, in such stark contrast to the harsh dryness of the summer just gone. There are still cracks in the ground to show for it.

This morning we watched 'Play School' on tv. I remember loving that show myself as a kid. We might see about making that a routine. I'm very mindful of using the television with William, but hopefully we can install in him an appreciation for watching a good show, and turning it off again, to do other things with our day. 

We are doing the important things, for us. Hopefully soon we can spend time in the vegie garden and plant peas and spinach. We need to chicken-proof the garden first though. Maybe we should clip their wings. I really don't know what to do with them. Any ideas? They are so cheeky, they'd be in the house in a flash if we let them. Sometimes I'm tempted, it would be funny. 

5 comments:

  1. That's so funny that your chickens follow you on walks! I think my in laws have clipped their chicken's wings, but they're mostly confined to their pen. My sister's wander her entire back yard, but aren't clipped. A friend of mine totally lets her duck in the house all of the time. Just a bummer to clean up with how often they poop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what's involved in wing clipping, I think I need to look into it. This lot wander the backyard, the front yard, across the road, into our neighbours place... not good! And all through my vegie garden. If it wasn't for the poop I would definitely let them into the house!

      Delete
  2. I don't clip my chooks wings as they don't fly to much at all. Fencing off your veggie patch is definitely worth your while as I know mine can rotate hoe it in no time if I leave the gate open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those chickens. This photo. That beautiful snippet of writing! Your blog is unbelievably charming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that photo, too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.