26 July 2013

Slow and Steady Progress

I had a most inspiring thing happen this week. I got to spend a short amount of time working in my beloved vegetable garden. I spent so many hours last year building the garden, digging in beds, adding manure, planting and nurturing. And we had a wonderfully abundant garden over summer. But between having a new baby and those chickens, well, it's kind of gone to ruin.
The bed in question. Complete with chunks of clay like rocks. And [some of] those chickens.

As it stands, there are some beds nicely laid out still, and some that have almost entirely been reclaimed by weeds. In a lot of ways, I will be starting all over again. Except for one very important difference - the soil! Our soils are clay. Plain and simple, just clay. Last year, when planting, my philosophy was that if anything actually grows in these soils, it will be a bonus. If nothing else, the plantings, and manure and fertiliser and pea straw, would ultimately condition the soil, thereby making for a better garden in the future.

This week was the first time in six months [probably longer if I think about it] that I've taken a pitch fork to the soil. The bed that I grew all my potatoes in last summer. The bed that was solid chunks of clay - reddish, fist-sized chunks of clay that were more like rocks and took a lot of breaking up, only to form into new chunks with watering. And not a worm to be seen. But not anymore. To my delight, the soil is a deep, dark brown colour. It is significantly finer than it was last year, with barely any red rock-like chunks. And it is full of worms!

I am just amazed at how quickly the soil has improved. I mean it's still pretty heavy, don't get me wrong, it's not exactly loam yet. But the difference between last year and this year is much more than I would have ever imagined. It was a real boost to my stamina on the long road to a simpler life. Even though I've not been able to do much gardening this year, we are still making excellent progress, as a result of the work put in last year and over summer. Oh and those chickens scratching around in there, no doubt that helped too. 

So naturally I was very, very happy [just getting my gloved hands in the dirt felt wonderful], and put out a bunch of seeds to celebrate. Spinach and broad beens, in only half of the bed. Next week I'm hoping to plant out the rest of the bed. I'm not looking at how much of a mess the rest of the garden still is. Right now I'm just grateful that I'm getting to spend some time out in the garden and get some new things growing. And that our longer term plans for awesome soil are very much on track. Slow and steady progress my friends, slow and steady progress. 

13 comments:

  1. That's awesome that your soil has improved! Dang, even the sight of your empty garden rows makes me long to have a garden space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been hard looking at those empty beds and not having time to do anything with them! You could try growing things in pots? In lieu of garden space..

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing how the worms and the chooks help the soil (and all that organic matter).
    My personal philosophy is that all the world's problems can be solved with mulch and trees (in one way or another).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you manure and mulch the beds that are weed free and leave them until you are ready to plant? The worms will dig it up for you, especially if you add a bit of water to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think that's pretty much what is happening, they have been dug over by the chickens, there's still pea straw breaking down from last time I mulched, and we've had rain - so hopefully I'll have some more pleasant surprises when I get to those beds.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely surprise, to find your soil so much improved, spuds will usually help break up stubbord soil.
    The worms will stay if you give them some protection with mulch and a water now and then as they don't like really dry soil.
    You could water the weed beds (or wait for rain) to soften it up, pull all the weeds out (cover the beds with mulch) and throw weeds in a container of water until you are ready for some more planting,then you will have some nutrient rich weed "tea", not sure how long it takes, but the " ABC Gardening Australia" site will have info. You can cover the weeds for a few days to help them wilt down to a smaller volume before you add the water to the container.
    Good to hear you are having fun in the garden, lovely, sunny, mild days, take it easy, as too much hard work can affect your milk supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully we've had some rain lately, so there's plenty of moisture in the soil. But I really should put some new mulch out.
      As for the weeds, that is exactly what I do! I fill up a rubbish bin with them, then fill it with water and leave for 2 weeks covered. It drowns any seeds and makes wonderful fertiliser, and the weeds themselves end up in the compost. I saw it on Gardening Australia (on TV) about 4 years ago, it is the best weed solution ever. That's all I fertilised these garden beds with!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely surprise, to find your soil so much improved, spuds will usually help break up stubbord soil.
    The worms will stay if you give them some protection with mulch and a water now and then as they don't like really dry soil.
    You could water the weed beds (or wait for rain) to soften it up, pull all the weeds out (cover the beds with mulch) and throw weeds in a container of water until you are ready for some more planting,then you will have some nutrient rich weed "tea", not sure how long it takes, but the " ABC Gardening Australia" site will have info. You can cover the weeds for a few days to help them wilt down to a smaller volume before you add the water to the container.
    Good to hear you are having fun in the garden, lovely, sunny, mild days, take it easy, as too much hard work can affect your milk supply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My soil was the complete opposite of yours Jacqui, dry, silty and not a worm in sight. 3 1/2 years and loads of organic matter and it finally looks a little like loam and I have worms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dry soils are the hardest to improve aren't they? It's wonderful to see the improvements happen over time. With a bit of hard work as well.

      Delete
  7. Soil is so important! i know that sounds glib but with each dig of the shovel or sprinkling of seeds, i appreciate this more and more. i am currently resting my beds - waiting for the weather to warm the soil! - but in the meantime i am adding whatever goodness i can find to make the soil 9and worms, and plants, and me!) happy.
    your chooks look contented too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to the first plants in your garden. We'll have probably already winter and nice to look at something that is awakening to life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.