I love this whole decluttering thing. It's everywhere, isn't it? The whole 'life is better when you have less stuff' philosophy. And I really do love it, it feels great to clear a space, rid myself of things I no longer want or need. I've done massive amounts of decluttering in the past 12 months or so. One of my big weaknesses is paperwork. I have a tendency to hang on to paper that has 'important stuff' on it. Like payslips from my first job. 18 years ago. Yes, they're gone now, but I refuse to get rid of the associated tax returns. I am keeping them, every last one that I've done, and that is final.
But on to another little problem I have - books! I just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of them. Well, not entirely true, I did sell a bunch of Bryce Courtney books at our community garage sale back in March. It was a little bit hard but I did it. I mean, I've read them, they were good and all, but life is busy and am I ever likely to read them again? No, not really. And then there are the text books. Big, heavy, probably well outdated, text books. You know I have 3 statistics text books on the shelf? Seriously, I have about zero need for them. But I can't let go!
I guess I have a case of serious emotional attachment to them. It seems they are something of a shrine to a former life, a former career, a course of study that I put myself through when I didn't know what the heck else to do with myself. Perhaps just having them there makes me feel smart. Like I need a reminder, or so other people will think I'm smart. Scary, but possibly true? Or what if I get rid of them, and then suddenly have a burning need to look something up, something that I could only possibly find in Global Business Today? Which is no doubt too old to be relevant anyway!
I would love to lighten the load further, have less clutter and less stuff in my life, and create more space in this nice and not huge home of ours. I suspect it would feel very liberating to let all these books go too. Like I'm not tied in to that part of my life. And allow myself to really move on from that time. I wonder what it is I'm holding on to, exactly. Perhaps I want my son to grow up surrounded by books. But even so, surely it would be better to have books that he's likely to read? But what if he wants to read about economics, and all those books were gone?
I guess he would have to find his own books, on his own path. I guess I should just be brave and let them go, and make space for new books. I think I just need to do it. If you've made it this far in reading this post, well done and thank you for allowing me this brain dump. And if you're after a statistics text book by any chance, do let me know. Seriously.
I love a good declutter and really do understand about the books.
ReplyDeleteFor the paperwork, why not scan things and store on a stick.
I think text books represent our professional selves, a part that we worked damn hard to achieve. There is always the thought that we might go back there again and these books are a reminder of our knowledge.
What about keeping one and replace the others with other knowledge. Vegetable garden books, composting, companion planting. Increase/replace the knowledge, not throw it out. One in one out basis.
The other thing - text books always cost so much. It seems like you are throwing away money.
Good luck - be strong. It took me years to throw most of mine away. Google has all the answers now if I need to know anything.
I love the idea of replacing them with other (more suitable) books. There are plenty of those lying around the house without a proper home!
DeleteHa ha, I too have 20year old uni text books which would be more use to a school student these days as what learnt in uni is now taught as basic biology! Ah, so hard to get rid of them, although mine are in the loft. A house without books though *shudder* I grew up surrounded by books on every topic (well every topics science, nature or history anyway) but MIL's house has no books that I can see and hubby had no love of reading unless it's to learn something. He doesn't read stories for pleasure *confused* Fortunately my boys, certainly the eldest (4) loves story books :)
ReplyDeleteWe combined two houses of 'stuff' 6 years ago and since then have been slowly (very slowly) decluttering (along with having two children, building an extension and turning a large 'lawn' (mostly weeds) into a garden of flowers, veg and chooks!) so I get where you are completely!
I found your blog a couple of months ago and completely love it. Thank you for writing and providing a moment of calm in my mind as I read.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one!
DeleteThanks for such a lovely comment :) I always love to know who reads. I'm glad you're enjoying my ramblings!
If we hadn't been moving to Cambodia and getting rid of almost everything we owned, I wouldn't have been able to part with the majority of my books. Now that we're back I find that I don't really miss them very much, and I really didn't read them often enough to justify keeping them on the shelf forever. We've been much happier with only keeping books we'll realistically read again or just love.
ReplyDeleteI have a similar problem {or rather my parents, for my and my husband's books are there - they are angry at us because we place them} once a year and there is something we give, or throw (also collects cards now waiting;-)} the first packet from the parents;-)
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean I have my tax returns in folders since I started work at 16 and I worked for 25 years. My first group certificate was less than $4000 and I had a full time job and was earning $68 a week. I was into scrap booking about 6 years ago and bought heaps of s rap booking books and have pulled them out of the book shelf to out on eBay but they are in a pile on the floor. I just need to take the photos and list them because I don't scrapbook anymore so I would rather have people who do use them and have a little biti of pocket money for myself. Last night on the living room on channel ten Peter Walsh the organising Aussie guru helped a girl and guy deck utter their apartment. It was a great method he used with her 98 pairs of shoes. Makes me want to get stuck into my areas as well. Regards Karhy A, Brisbane, Australia
ReplyDelete