26 August 2013

Spring Is... Early?

Spring is definitely in the air. The days are getting longer, the sun is shining and there is a mildness to the air that we haven't felt for months. The snowdrops have been flowering for weeks now, and will soon be finished, to be replaced by little blue flowers that I can't recall the name of. But I'm not ready for winter to be over! I was just finding my groove, and enjoying the blast of wintery weather that August gave us - rain, lots of rain, and cold and wind and more rain. And I'm normally such a summer-lover too, but right now I want to hang on to rugging up and wearing beanies and making hearty soups and keeping the fire roaring. I am so not ready for spring just yet. 


I picked a small bunch of snowdrops for the house. I love having fresh flowers from the garden inside. But to do that, you must have an abundance of flowers in the garden from which to cut. One of the [many] plans I have for our little piece of the world is to have a sea of flowering plants in the garden. We just planted some daffodils, and there is a lone tulip coming to life in the spot where we buried the little white chicken who got sick and didn't survive. We have a long way to go in the flower department. For now I'm grateful for the abundance of snowdrops along the side of the house, planted by a previous occupant with a penchant for pretty flowers. 

What's happening outside in your part of the world? Are you welcoming spring, or are your days getting shorter and colder?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqui, I'm not ready for spring either. I still want to enjoy sitting by the pot belly and toasting marshmallows. I love rugging up in my pyjamas and dressing gown and sitting cosy on the couch. I have noticed the seasons are changing because the chooks are starting to lay again. To have a garden full of flowering plants would be lovely. I would just have to make sure they are in a place that the dogs wouldn't run all over them, my children wouldn't squash them and wouldn't get eaten by the chooks.
    Simone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone, ditto on all the potential flower garden destroyers! Although our child isn't big enough to be running around the garden yet he still got to the daffodils we planted - they were sitting on the kitchen bench for a few days and survived baby grabbing and squashing. As for the chickens... I often tell them it's lucky they lay eggs for us.

      Delete
  2. Ah, we have Snowdrops in Norway too, but feels a bit strange that you are posting pictures of them now, they usually appear in march! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, like when you post photos of autumn in August!

      Delete
  3. To me the snowdrops mean the very beginning of spring because they flower roughly six weeks before the verbal equinox (September 22nd) and that marks the planetary middle of spring for me. I operate off a slightly different calendar in the garden; plants and animals never signed on for the Julian calendar.
    It is definitely spring here; snow drops, jasmine and jonquils flowering, chooks laying eggs, male fairy wrens 'bluing up their waistcoats', wool shedding off the sheep, all the usual signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. I think the 'designated' seasons are surprisingly accurate, for something that isn't very accurate, if that makes any sense? I'm definitely feeling the warmth in the air earlier than usual this year. I'm guessing we'll get a few more cold days and nights yet though.

      Delete
  4. Springtime. My second favorite time of the year. Fall is the first. My days here in Maryland are getting shorter and cooler but I'm welcoming it. The leaves are starting to change and fall on the East Coast of United States is just magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to experience a fall in the US, from the images I see it looks spectacular. One day!
      Even though I love spring time and the new season coming to life, reading about fall in the northern hemisphere always gives me pangs of wanting that too.

      Delete
  5. strangely it reads. We have almost fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been really warm and humid here the past few days...summer's ending soon and autumn will be here; my favorite season! I want to plant loads of flowers as well, and was just at the store looking at them. They're all so expensive, but I found a few on clearance for $1 each, so I'll go put them in soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.