15 September 2013

Gifts for Mums and Thoughts on Blogging

We had the family visit to celebrate William's almost 6 months. A nice way to catch up. William of course charmed the pants off everyone [he always does]. And the mothers were both supposed to take home some of our homemade soap, and both forgot. But since we'll be seeing then soon, I thought it might be nice to package them up a little bit. 

I've been thinking about this blog lately. About where it's going, and perhaps that it's not on track with what I originally planned it to be. And that's ok, I'm happy for it to evolve into whatever it becomes, really. I often feel though that I don't write freely. That's the problem with knowing that people actually read the words I write [and thank you, I'm happy that you do!]. I just need to get over what is probably a fear of being judged, or criticised, for what I write. Not that I have ever experienced that on my blog, so the fact that I feel like I will be is just plain silly. And even if I was, would it matter to me?

Well actually, the answer is probably yes. I mean, I will never in real life meet most of the people who read this blog, but readers are real people, and I'm a real person, and well, you know. It's real. So I tend to play it a bit safe. As in, I don't like to stir things up, and I guess my experience in the real world is that I do tend to stir things up. Even when I don't want to, I just can't seem to help myself. Anyway it's been on my mind lately. There are so many blogs out there that proudly declare they fall into this category or that. But that's not me as any kind of label makes me feel so restricted. I know I walk an offbeat path through life, but not with the intention of being offbeat. I just can't imagine living any other way. 

Blah. I've been thinking about writing about the way we parent our son. And I will. When I find the courage to stand up and say hey, we're not mainstream, and we have one awesome happy, healthy little kid. 

The westringias are flowering beautifully at the moment. I've got little bunches of them in vases and jugs in the house, to pretty things up a bit. I do love to bring the outside in with fresh flowers from the garden. I think I get it from my mum.

10 comments:

  1. Your post really struck a cord with me. I had a similar conversation with my mum a few days ago; she accused me of not caring what other people think of me and she eventually admitted that that isn't always a bad thing.
    Personally, I love to read your blog; it makes me feel happy that there are offbeat people out there brave enough to admit it. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way..I forgot to tell you I love the soap packaging, very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are blogs that really like to return, including yours. My husband's mom likes to read my Polish blog mostly about our son. For her, this is also a contact with us. My mom is holding up rather far from the virtual world.
    I love the soap packaging and photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of our family read the blog yet.. maybe one day I will tell them about it!
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jacqui, I understand how you feel with blogging. Sometimes I wonder what I should put on my blog and what to talk about. I don't do alot of sewing, crafting or knitting. I love baking, gardening, homemade and pottering around the house. I just made some homemade fabric softener and so far it's good.
    I love your homemade soap photos. Do you have a recipe for the soap? Would love to know how you made it.
    I enjoy reading your blog and love that's its different!
    Simone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simone, your blog is lovely :) yeah I'm not much of a crafter, even though I'd like to be. I guess my time gets filled up with other things (like gardening, cooking, blogs). Will you blog the recipe for your fabric softener?
      I do have a recipe for the soap, it's on the blog even! Have a look for a post in August called Homemade [sort of] Castile Soap. I think I'll tweak the recipe for my next batch though (not because there's anything wrong with it, just to see how it turns out).

      Delete
    2. I just realised I put my reply as another comment and not replied to your message. I'm an idiot, LOL, sorry!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Jacqui. I will blog the recipe for the fabric softener. I just want to give it abit longer to see how it goes. Maybe try out some different methods.
    I found the recipe for the soap, thankyou. Where did you get the caustic soda from? It sounds like you really enjoyed making it. Have you used it yet?
    Simone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it online - I ordered a bunch of the soap making supplies all at once (moulds, oils, lye). There are lots of online sellers of soap making stuff. I guess it's quite an industry.
      We are using it now too, it is really lovely. Very creamy and not drying like commercial soap can be. I felt like a bit of a mad scientist when I was making it!

      Delete
  6. I encourage you to keep writing as free as you can about things. Your instinctive mothering is beautiful. I am sure lots of new mothers would value your experience and gain courage reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.