We co-sleep with our baby. That is, he sleeps in our bed. Now I am aware that there are about a gazillion different opinions out there on how to parent a child, and I'm not in the business of saying our way is the only way. I'll just share what is working for us. We certainly weren't sure if this was the way to go or not and maybe our experience will help other new parents decide what is best for them.
Co-sleeping is to my mind the most natural thing for myself and my baby. Before he was born, we were just normal, run-of-the-mill people setting up our nursery with a bassinet and then a cot. Well, the cot is still waiting to be painted, the mattress is still wrapped in plastic and the bassinet worked for about 5 minutes. And our baby is nearly 6 months old.
The first few weeks at home, our baby slept in the bassinet next to our bed. There were a lot of grizzles and a lot of settling [by us] involved. And usually, at some point in the early hours of the morning, I would snuggle him in with me, and off he would go to the most peaceful sleep. So it was only ever going to be a matter of time.
Truth be told, I felt he was too far away from me in the bassinet too. He felt it, I felt it. My instinct told me to tuck him up next to me in bed, but I had researched co-sleeping, and I had fears that I would roll on him in my sleep, or somehow cause SIDS. There is a lot of propaganda getting around in Australia, and government warnings about the dangers of co-sleeping. I should have known better and listened to my instincts sooner.
So with all the cautions in the world, we started co-sleeping through the night with our baby. He only ever sleeps next to me, never my husband. There is a risk of a baby being squashed by anyone other than a breastfeeding mother. I read about studies that showed a breastfeeding mother would instinctively know where her baby was next to her, whereas a bottle-feeding mother would lose that instinct.
I was paranoid that our sheets would be pulled too far up and suffocate him. So I am very cautious about the way I tuck him in, and I never allow the sheets to get too close to him. Doing this, I then felt his shoulders were too exposed, so we always make sure he has a few layers on his arms, and I crocheted up a little shoulder cover for him [which we affectionately call his 'shroud']. And I check and check and check again, that the sheets aren't too close to his face.
I created a padded side to the bed - spare pillow wedged between the mattress and my bedside table [and held in place by the bassinet, so it did come in handy after all]. So that he can't roll himself out of bed. He's not yet rolling anyway, so this system may need tweaking once he's more mobile. But I can assure you the only way he ever moves is closer to me.
And the benefits in all this? Well, for starters, my little one is safely tucked in next to me. The slightest snuffle from him and I'm onto it [and yet I can sleep through loud rain/dogs scratching the door/alarm clocks]. It strikes me that my husband takes on more of the 'protector' role, and will wake readily to any outside disturbance, which allows me the comfort of sleeping through those outside noises but being perfectly attuned to the needs of my baby.
Then there is breastfeeding. I don't get out of bed to feed my baby in the night. And I'm still feeding anywhere between 3-7 times, or thereabouts. I don't count how many feeds he has. If he gets hungry, he has a feed. I can almost do it in my sleep. Almost. I simply cannot comprehend getting up that many times a night to feed my baby. Or not feeding my baby if he's hungry. So my sleep disruption, even on a bad night, is minimal. Suits me.
And then there is waking up next to the little one... watching him slowly come out of his sleep and open his eyes, blink a few times, and smile at me. No crying, or having to call for me during the night. I'm always right there. Of course there is the issue of space, and a lack of alone time for my husband and I. But it's a sacrifice we're prepared to make. It's not forever. I look forward to a natural progression from co-sleeping when the time is right. Maybe at the 12 month mark? I really don't know. It works for us now, and when it has to shift, it will.
You know, co-sleeping seems to be such an unusual practice in this country/region/place. The fact that we do it is reason number 27 why we know we're offbeat parents. Ok so there isn't really a list but seriously, there could be. We rarely talk about it with anyone, because we know it will get a strange reaction. Recently my husband came home from work and said he'd had a client with a 10 month old baby. And they co-sleep. I was surprised, and a bit heartened. We're not alone, even though it often feels like it.
Written for anyone who wants to hear the positive side of co-sleeping, not just the fear tactics that seem to circulate about the practice. Always use your common sense, do your own research and for goodness sake, no babies sleeping in the same room as a smoker.
My first daughter was in another room at the start and we both suffered for it; she has ADHD and from birth slept only 4 hours a night (and not all of them together) so she was awake and crying for much of the night. She cried if she was not in direct contact with me (when I showered, when I had to go to the toilet) or in her stroller and moving (we did a lot of walking). I suffered serious sleep deprivation and spent all my time hoping we would both live through the experience. By the time I had my second daughter (when the first was four) I had perfected the art of co-sleeping.
ReplyDeleteMy partner worked night shifts so me and the girls had a queen sized bed to ourselves. My/our bedroom was devoid of anything potentially dangerous, had a lamp in the corner and was equipped with toys and books. I would lock my door and put the key somewhere safe then go to sleep with my youngest beside me leaving the eldest to come and go in the bed as she chose knowing she couldn't get out into the street.
I breastfed both girls until they were two and they slept in my bed until they were about five (eldest) and two (youngest) when they chose to move into the room where their beds, toys and books were.
You are right, it is natural and not dangerous at all; mothers instinctively protect their young (otherwise the species would be in trouble). I could never have coped with raising my two girls without having us all sleep in the same bed.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience Jude. It's really good to hear others have had a similar experience (although we are blessed with a good sleeper - he'll sleep through feeds and nappy changes). Your first sounds like a handful. I'm glad there are others out there who understand. I find it so strange that a) co-sleeping is not such a common practice and b) it is not much spoken about. Appreciate your comment!
DeleteI find it strange that people choose to separate themselves from their babies so much, but I did it (mostly due to social pressure).
DeleteMy eldest was a handful, but she is in her final year of uni now, so we didn't do too badly I feel.
Hi Jacqui, we did co-sleeping with our five children. I made sure they were safe and not in any risk of suffocation or falling out of our bed. I loved breastfeeding them in bed. You don't have to get up as everything is just there, boob and bub! With our first baby co-sleeping, we had to change our bed sheets a few times as he sometimes chucked up cause he gulped too much but overtime we worked out what worked best and made sure we had some fabric nappies just in case.
ReplyDeleteThere is a lack of alone time with hubby but as you said it's not forever. Your little one will let you know when it's time to move on and sleep on their own.
The children grow up so quickly. My little baby is now 5. I really enjoyed having those moments breastfeeding them. You do what is right for you and what you feel is best. Enjoy your co-sleeping with your little one.
Simone x
Hi Simone, thanks for sharing. I don't feel like I'm (we're) alone at all now. It's really good to hear other people's experiences. Thank you :)
DeleteOh we've had plenty of sheet changes too... chuck ups in the early days and a few wet through times. All just part of the fun hey!
You're definitely not alone! We've just stopped co-sleeping this week at 14 months (still breastfeeding too! - we started out in the exact same way as you, but he just wouldn't sleep without touching me. Turns out, he's a very cuddly/sucky baby (we also started using a pacifier at a month old, on top of 10-14 breastfeeding sessions a day) and he didn't take a nap alone in a crib until he was about 9-10 months old. And he didn't stop crying for us post-nap until we set up a floor bed in his bedroom and put him to sleep on that (at night we'd leave the door open for him to get us). Now for the last two nights he's slept by himself, in his bedroom, for 12 hours. I had to go and wake HIM up. No crying, no unhappiness. When he wakes up from his midday nap, he plays with his toys until I retrieve him.
ReplyDeleteThat's not to say it's not without complications - after he started getting mobile, it got a lot harder to keep him contained in the bed, and growth spurts made getting him back to sleep nigh impossible. But like with everything, it passed, and I'm glad we chose to take a gentle approach to his sleep. Every time I've tried to force something, it's been distressing for all involved. Sleep is much too important to make stressful.
Yes, every time I try to 'force' something, it's a massive fail. But when I just let it happen of it's own accord, it just seems to happen! Like daytime naps by himself, for months and months he refused, then at some point he just started going to bed happily. Then teething and a cold hit, so back to sleeping in my arms, and he's only just now sleeping by himself again. It's hard to just trust that it will take care of itself, but I keep coming back to this point of view.
DeleteAlthough I am looking forward to the day (night) he sleeps for 12 hours in his own bed... not to wish away our co-sleeping days though!
It's really interesting to read about what works for each family. I'm glad that it works for your little family. There are studies for it, there are studies against it, I say do whatever works best for your family.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely, every kid/parent/situation is different. We just take it as it comes now.
DeleteLove this. Keep on doing what you are doing.
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
DeleteMy child has some strange :-) although we wanted to co-sleeping, he didn't like to sleep with us since birth, but when I fed him I dreamed about it. He hugs all day, but he likes to sleep alone. It is different when he is sick, I have to lie down next to him on the ground, He can sometimes allow me to lie down in bed and hold his hand ;-). Our bed he is treated as a playground. My sister's kids (4, 6 years) continues to migrate to her bed. If the child and the parents need it, I think it's good.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, he is a funny little one! Likes his own space it seems. They are all so different. Yes best to go with what they and the parents each need.
Delete