8 September 2013

Sunday Outings: Sustainable Houses

We've been getting in the habit of a family outing on the weekends lately. It's a habit I'm loving. And I'm determined to capture us in family portraits, even if that means setting a timer on the iPhone and getting us all to stand a bit awkwardly in random places. Anyway, this weekend saw Sustainable House Day roll around again and there were a couple of places we visited for ideas and inspiration.

The first place we looked at was a small reverse brick veneer place, with only passive heating. Let me repeat - only passive heating. No wood fire, no split system, no gas heater. Just relying on the sun, and storing the heat from the sun in the structure of the house itself - thermal mass. This place was also fully off grid using solar panels for electricity. Plenty of north facing double glazed windows and a concrete floor. Not fancy, but beautifully simple and self sufficient.

The other place we looked at was a new strawbale build. I'm a bit of a lover of the strawbale look, I especially love deep window seats as wide as the bales themselves - what better way to while away some hours dozing in the sun [ok that is totally a pipe dream in my life right now but one day it will happen again]. Anyway, it wasn't my cup of tea the way this particular place had been done, but it was nice and rustic all the same. It had solar and wood heating, and was connected to the grid.

I definitely learned a few more things about building a sustainable house after visiting these places. I've always wanted to build a strawbale house but the logic in reverse brick veneer is hard to beat [ bricks on the inside, timber on the outside]. If there's one idea that I've taken away it is this - thermal mass, thermal mass, thermal mass. All added to the growing list of things we now know about the sustainable house we plan to build. You've got to know what you want to make it happen, right?

Oh and orange pants again. Do you know how long I've waited to be able to start wearing these things? About 12 months, that's how long. First spotted in Target when I was very pregnant, then they were still there half price after William was born, so I took a punt and bought a pair in my old size. Of course they didn't fit so I tucked them away in the back of the cupboard but I knew [hoped] that one day... I'd be able to get my legs into them. I am making the most of it!

6 comments:

  1. very cool! love your orange pants, & glad you get to wear them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! They're so cheery, just putting them on makes me happy!

      Delete
  2. I never returned to pre-baby size; but it took me about 20 years to realize (I've been busy OK). We live on solar (no grid connect out here) and I wouldn't go back to grid electricity if you paid me; not only the constant bills but the fear that the power will go off, that someone else can decide to cut you off (understandable if you haven't paid the bill, but still). I love being in charge of my own electricity, and it kept the kids from being electronics junkies as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm counting myself lucky. Definitely lost some leg muscles but one day I plan to get them back..
      I would love to be off grid already. But I will have to wait. All those reasons you list - I agree completely. Plus using electricity in the knowledge that it's not burning coal but simply harnessing the sun's energy. And I'd like to not have a smart meter, I feel that power companies know way too much about us with those things.

      Delete
    2. I think companies of all kinds know a lot about what we do in the privacy of our own homes. I wonder if that's what was mean't by the term 'global village'; that we all know everyone else's business? Living in a small town is like that and it's both wonderful and terrible;like being part of a close family.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, that is so wonderful that you are looking into such sustainable houses! I've never heard of passive heating before, what a cool idea. And holy amazing that you're wearing those pants!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.