I was chatting to my mum yesterday, about how many things we're now making from scratch, at home. And I'm not just talking about meals, but they are definitely very homemade from scratch. There's so many other things we've branched out to this year. It's something we've been thinking about, talking about, planning on doing, for ages. Wanting a different way of life, a simpler way, a way that doesn't involve constantly buying 'stuff' and using harsh chemicals. Being more self reliant. I really feel that this year marks a turning point for us, in actually making the changes we need to make for this way of life that we seek. I'm so enjoying this journey too, and I'm excited about making even more things from home. This is what we've been up to so far.
Homemade dog food. A big one! We have two little dogs, who are fussy little eaters. We used to buy them tins of food at the supermarket, which they would sometimes eat and sometimes turn their noses up at. I've always had my doubts about what actually goes into those dog food tins. Plus they add up in dollar terms. Earlier this year I stumbled across a recipe for home-made dog food on Rhonda's blog Down to Earth [see here]. So we tried it, and what do you know - success. We make up a large batch of food, freeze it in portions [we have dedicated dog-food containers now] and use it as we need. Our little dogs have a nice layer of plumpness [is that a word?] on them which I'm happy about over winter. And Mr Ralph has stopped his incessant nibbling at his back [itchy skin] - it just stopped happening. It saves us a huge amount of money, plus the unnecessary use of aluminium tins in preprepared food. We're very happy with how it's working out.
Homemade soap. I blogged about it here. The only thing I can say about this one is, the end result is well worth the hour or so in the kitchen playing mad scientist to make it. I love using it on my skin. It feels luxurious, it isn't drying, it's creamy and soft and one batch makes a heap of soap. Plus I can flex my creativity in future batches with different scents and added ingredients, like herbs, essential oils, natural colourings and adding exfoliating ingredients. Skincare is a huge area where we are exposed to so many chemicals without really thinking about it [well I never really thought about it anyway] but once you start to pay attention, well, it's scary. Cue the next thing.
| Soap in a box [we actually have rubber duckies in the house these days]. |
Homemade face wash. This is a new one for me that I'm just playing around with, but I'm currently trying a blend of olive oil and castor oil, which I found here. Basically, you combine the oils [the ratio depends on the type of skin you have], apply it to try skin, then place a hot wash cloth over your face for a minute and let it steam clean, before wiping off the oils. This is pure bliss. It feels lovely, leaves my skin soft and hydrated [so no need for added moisturiser, win] and gives me an extra little bit of 'me' time. Because being a new mum, I have learned that true 'me' time only happens in the bathroom, behind a closed door when daddy-baby time is also happening. So an extra minute to wash my face is pretty awesome. I take that minute to do some meditative breathing. Clean skin and a calm mama is all good.
Homemade lip balm. Using the recipe straight out of the book Down to Earth, which for me ends up being a bit too sesame flavoured from the oil. But it feels lovely on my lips, and does the job perfectly. One batch made up a heap of lip balms [and by a heap I mean 9 little jars] so I'm set for a while. But again I'm thinking about different options to try with future batches - scents and colours and oils. How nice is it to be able to decide, hmm, I think I want vanilla, or perhaps rose scented. And then just go and make it. Self reliance is awesome.
| A lot of lip balm to keep me going. |
Homemade nappy balm. I will blog this one soon. I've made a few batches now and I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I hated using chemical-laden products on my little baby's bum. We were given different nappy rash creams when he was born, from various places, and bought a few panic creams when the first sign of nappy rash appeared. We tried them all. One was ok, most were icky and one was downright horrible. I couldn't deal with the smell. And now, our baby's bottom is beautifully cared for with soft oils and beeswax and smells like tea tree and lavender. And funnily enough, not much nappy rash to be seen [not that we have had much anyway, obsessive-compulsive nappy changers that we are].
That's a little summary of the changes we've made that are really starting to 'bed in' and feel normal for us. There's plenty more to come over the next few months. Next up on the agenda is homemade laundry soap/powder. I was holding off doing this until I had my own homemade soap to add to the mix, which is now ready to go. I'm excited to try making it. I still haven't made my own facial scrub, but there are some great recipes out there [I'm planning to try this one first]. I'd like to make my own skin moisturiser, which I'm sure won't be too hard. And for the husband, I'm keen to have a try at homemade shaving cream. Oh and then there's the homemade dishcloths [I've made one so far], homemade face washers [looking forward to making some and using them with the homemade facial cleanser] and making some more homemade baby wipes [I've made a bunch so far, but with the introduction of solids, we need backups, believe me]. Honestly the list is endless, my head is almost exploding with how many things I want to make rather than buy, and I haven't even touched on the food side of things, or home cleaning products, or what I could whip up on that poor old sewing machine that doesn't get much use.
More to blog about on other days. How about you, are you feeling the need to make things at home rather than buy them? What are you making? Do you have any good recipes to share? I'd love to hear them!
Hi Jacqui, The week after my first meeting with Rhonda at a Library book signing, I made washing liquid with Sunlight soap, Strawberry Jam, Rye sourdough Bread, jars of Relish, and Tomato spagheti sauce, it really pushes your "I can do this myself" confidence through the roof ! The Orange cleaner and the handmade soap came later, it is so enjoyable to create your own take on such household products.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you have made a great start too, so glad to see you are enjoying it all, well done. I will have to give the nappy rash cream recipe a try soon.
Hope you can do some amazing hunting at op shops when you move to town, it is always fun to grab some bargains and help out a good cause.
Oh wow, I can only imagine how inspiring it would be to meet Rhonda in person. Yes once you start, you realise just how much you can make yourself - I feel like my blinkers are being removed. And I agree, it is enjoyable and gives you a whole new appreciation for looking after the home.
DeleteYes I'll be checking out the op shops for sure. We've already found some absolutely cute op shop clothes for baby. It will be nice to be able to walk to them too.
I love this attitude you have; so willing to try things and so independent. Where you always so adventurous or is it being a mother that has set you on this path?
ReplyDeleteWe go through cycles of growth and decay; for a while I make things for us then some things get dropped and others stay, then I eventually wonder why I stopped making some things and start again. Usually time is the main constraint, it takes a lot of time to make your own stuff and I don't spend much time at home not studying so I have to pick and choose things that are portable or fairly quick.
At the moment I am making our soap, my socks and other knit items and growing our veges. In the past I have made our bread, dog food, herbal ointments and medicines,shampoo and conditioner, hand creme and face creme, washing powder and pot scrubbers.
By the way..try getting your soap to saponify with a stick blender instead of stirring for hours; it makes the process quicker. Don't forget to wear your safety goggles though and don't lift it out while its still on (learned that the hard way).
Hmm, perhaps motherhood has directed my energies in new ways... And part of it is supermarket avoidance tactics!
DeleteYes time is definitely a factor. For me also, having the ingredients I need on hand is the biggest help, so that when I actually do get the time, I can jump straight in and do it.
I did use a stick blender for my first soap, and I totally destroyed it in the process (melted!). So I've now got a shiny new better one and I read the instructions.. Hopefully I can do a bit better next time.
Oh Yeah !!!! me too, killed the old cheap one first go, have since bought a "Bodum" one and pace it so it won't overheat,soapmaking is great.
DeleteHi Jacquie, i discovered Rhonda's blog a few years ago and have loved making my own stuff; soap, laundry liquid, calendula balm as well as knitting some wash cloths (which my lovely husband insists are too good and must be used as flannels). I love being able to reach into the store cupboard, grab some ingredients and then be a part of the still room alchemy that turns everyday items into something quite different. I feel enriched and i love not having to use harsh chemicals to clean the house. I think it 's wonderful that women are once again learning skills that society encouraged us to let slip and are reconnecting with how things are made and work. Good luck with your own making - looking forward to hearing about it. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Curvywitch and thank you :-)
DeleteI agree, it is great to see women (and men) relearning the household skills that seem to have disappeared. And yes, the alchemy part of creating something wonderful out of simple raw ingredients is definitely something I love.
Is'nt making your own stuff brilliant?! I agree totally with the soap, it feels so soft. Much nicer than commercial soap or liquid washes. Hubby uses shaving soap and a brush rather than shaving foam. He's tried my homemade soap and thought it was ok, so when I last made a batch (goats milk soap, even softer!) I filled a spare shaving soap bowl and he'll be using that instead of the expensive bought stuff we used to get.
ReplyDeleteI also used to make different nappy, eczema and hand cream but in the end found they were all as good as each other for any job :)
I love reading your blog about these things. Most people think I'm a bit bonkers so it's always good to see I'm not alone in my bonkers life lol!
It really is brilliant! I have noticed that different balms are often combinations of the same or similar ingredients, so they're quite interchangeable. I've been using my lip balm on my baby's chin to protect his skin from teething dribbles.
DeleteI'm glad I'm not the only one mad enough to do these things. Actually I think I'm the sane one ;-) You are not alone!
I think you should start doing it for sale. I'm looking forward to a post about Homemade nappy balm. I also get sucked into making your own cosmetics without chemicals. My husband probably also because the time I got home it was waiting for me present two small buckets (2 k). One of the cocoa butter and shea butter second. My husband loves Shea butter and want to make your own cream for hands and feet ;-) At last I must to make a soap because your look great.
ReplyDeleteOne day I think so, yes.. I haven't tried the shea butter yet, I will get some, it looks so nice. Yes make soap! And share how you go! I would love to see :-)
DeleteGreat post! I've been making soap since I was 19 (it just always interested me!), so about 13 years now. I've always sewed, and make a lot of childrens clothes. I recently learnt to make vanilla extract, yoghurt and butter, all from the internet. I've started making ice cream too, mainly for the kids! There's lots of other things I can't think of, but have blogged about. And of course growing food including keeping chickens for eggs. I can only see it developing further, especially since I'll have both my girls at school next year. Blogs are a great place to share these ideas and recipes, it really encourages people to give it a go, and see how easy it can be.
ReplyDeleteBlogs are such a great way to share aren't they! It's amazing what you can find with a little google search. It also creates such a great community of like-minded folk. I recall you encouraged me with the soap making way back earlier this year when I was talking about wanting to make it. Thank you :-)
DeleteThe "WORD" is spreading fast, there is a hand knitted dish/washcloth !!! in the latest Spotlight catalogue in the cotton yarn advertising, how awesome is that ?
ReplyDeleteThat is pretty cool. There's really no going back from homemade, either. I'll have to check it out.
Delete