13 December 2013

Homemade: Plum Jam


I had totally forgotten that this place we've moved back to has a plum tree. And even in the first month or so that we were back here, it hadn't dawned on me that there would soon be plums. But as November progressed, I watched and saw the little green plums being formed on the tree. I have a wonderful view of it from our sunny afternoon sitting spot where we read books. And I kept thinking to myself, I must get out there with the camera and capture some images of the plums turning from green to red. And it still never occurred to me that I could make plum jam. And I didn't really get any good images either.

Once the plums started ripening, and I started harvesting lots and lots of plums, it became a matter of urgency to make the jam before they got too ripe. I'm new at this jam-making business, and I've had a few attempts with the plums now [with varying success], but I'm hooked. I love that those delicious plums won't go to waste now, as so many of them have been turned into jam that can be eaten for months to come. Actually I think I've made more jam than we're likely to eat in a year. I could give it away, and probably will, but I want to be sure of the quality of my work before I go handing it out. Obviously mum gets a jar regardless.

So we have plum jam. We've been eating scones and pikelets and we had to make jam drops [my favourite biscuits]. I am yet to master the art of jam making, but I'd like to think I'm learning more with each attempt. The first attempt was a total fail, it was too set and we could barely get it out of the jars. The second attempt was much better, it is spreadable but still a little on the too-set side of things. The third attempt is cooling in jars as I type, and I'm concerned that I've over-corrected and it's now too runny. Time will tell. Fingers crossed it sets well as it cools. I think I need a lot more practice at this jam making caper. 

Here's the recipe I followed. 

Plum Jam
Ingredients:
900g plums [prepared weight]
150ml water
900g granulated sugar

Method:
Put plums into a heavy based saucepan. Add water and bring to the boil. Lower heat, and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes. The fruit should be soft. 
Tip in the sugar and stir over a very low heat until sugar has completely dissolved.
Raise the heat [gently] and bring back to a rolling boil, then rapidly boil for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, skim off any excess scum from the top and allow to settle for a few minutes. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Making jam is one of those things that connects me to my grandmother, and her mother. I'm learning how to do something that was common knowledge a few generations ago. And it's one more thing I can make from scratch, instead of buying as a processed product at the supermarket. 

Have you made jam? Are you a pro? Or a novice like me?

12 comments:

  1. I love homemade jam. My grandmathers, my mather, my mather-inlow, my father, my sister, my husbend made but I didn't made :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you got lots of plum jam made for you! No need to make it if so many others in the family do :-)

      Delete
  2. We don't eat jam, unfortunately, but in the past, when we had a plum tree, did make sauce. Now I would probably stew and freeze in meal-sized lots. Wonderful with ice cream.

    On another tack, I was wondering if you knew what sort of plum it was? My father sued to dry some as prunes, although much drier than commercial ones. Very chewy. In this part of the world at Christmas time some of the street trees are obviously in that family, as the trees develop little round red balls as decorations, and we pick and eat on walks. I think they turn up a lot on early Christmas cards, when we didn't have so many decorations available, and just used what Nature provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what type of plums they are - they're quite small with yellow flesh. And very sweet. Prunes are so yummy, that would be something interesting to try making! We have street trees that look like another kind of plum, but the fruit was all so high up we couldn't reach any of it.

      Delete
  3. I love plum jam but there will be no jam making for me this year, I only got two plums from two plum trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, only two plums, that's a bit disappointing. I guess thats how it goes sometimes..

      Delete
  4. It's so exciting to think you can make something yummy from your back yard tree. I've just done a preserving course myself so I am confident now how to make these things. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with a preserving course... I'm very keen and will try these things, but there is trial and error involved. I'm hoping to do a course of sorts in January.

      Delete
  5. I am absolutely going to make this!! Brilliant to have plums in the garden, it makes me happy just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks sooo good Thanks . Would make a great stocking filler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful plum jam!! Perfect to cope with the next plum harvest..
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.