Something I have spent much time focusing on lately is rhythm. The rhythm of our days, of our home, of our seasons. Bringing rhythm into our days, rather than a haphazard collection of tasks and activities. Ensuring our days flow, and that our needs for food and sleep and play and work are being met, evenly and timely.
Late last year I saw an e-course pop up on my blog reader, 31 Days to Rhythm Bootcamp. So I signed up, and it was a good decision. Throughout this month I have been gently guided to look at my life, to examine our days, and my ways, and make the changes necessary to bring this rhythm about. The course is not yet finished, but already our days are so delightfully smooth and flowing. Which is not to say there aren't difficult moments, because of course there are, but I am in a much better position to face them.
The pile of washing that never seems to go away, appears to go away. Of course it comes back every day, but every day I am able to keep on top of it, without stress or hurry. We have a sit down 'tea time' in the afternoon, rather than me at some point remembering to offer my son a snack [plus I know when my next cup of tea is coming, this is rather important]. The chook bucket goes out at the same time each afternoon, so I know I can leave it put away until then. I used to leave it on the bench and look at it umpteen times a day thinking 'I must go take out the chook bucket'.
My head is much clearer. One of the first things I came to realise was just how much I was holding my breath during the day. Obviously this is not a calm or relaxed way of being, tensed and with a knot of anxiety - 'what are we having for breakfast today?' or 'how will I get all that washing done' or any other potentially difficult question. Not difficult really, but interrupting the flow of the day all the same. There may still be some points in the day when I hold my breath, but not many, and I'm very mindful of it now. When I'm mindful of it, I can do something about it.
So yeah, rhythm. It provides a feeling of security, for my son and for me. I am pleasantly surprised by how strong the feeling of security is for me, it affords me so much calm during the day now. There is no need to rush, as I know the jobs will get done. I used to try to do all the jobs during baby nap time; now I prioritise the jobs that are more difficult with William around, and always make sure I get time to sit with a cup of tea and collect my thoughts. Other jobs can be done with him around, either helping me or playing nearby.
This is just the start of our journey in bringing rhythm to our days. I can see this is a long term thing to work on. William is now 10 months old, and I'm contemplating homeschooling in the future. It's a few years off, but having a solid established rhythm would be a good start. And even if we don't go down that path, it's still such a beneficial practice for us. It's a lovely way to live, joyful, and with flow and rhythm to our days.
What do you do to bring rhythm to your days?
What do you do to bring rhythm to your days?

*wistful sigh* this sounds wonderful. I took a look at the course and it seems very focused on kids. Do you think it would be any use without kids?
ReplyDeleteYou know, this course is very focused on kids, but now that you mention it, it really needn't be. I think this course has a lot of mums who are looking to bring rhythm to life with kids - but I wish I'd had this kind of thing before I had a child! In some respects it would be 'easier' to bring this to life without kids, because you really need only worry about yourself, but also harder without kids, because you have more freedom to do as you please.
DeleteI'm keeping an eye out for anything similar that's not kid-specific, but a lot of it seems to come out of the Waldorf/Steiner stuff, which means that it's kid-oriented by definition. Meanwhile, I'm trying to work out daily and weekly rhythms that work for me and my life, and it's an interesting process. Thanks for the prompt!
Deletewow, what an impressive collection of thoughts - as in, you've really made an impression on me. i have routine, but it's not the same as what you are describing. when i'm on my summer holidays i feel i have a sense of rhythm, which comes from being connected to my garden. just being able to be outside for a greater part of the day sets a wonderfully relaxed tone to the days.
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing these wonderfully inspiring thoughts!
Aww thanks e :)
DeleteI used to be able to work for hours in the garden, and it was quite lovely rhythm. A mid-morning break for a cup of tea, then in again for lunch. And that was usually enough for the day. Routine is still an important thing for us, and I think that's really a foundation for rhythm to emerge...
Rhythm is a really beautiful word to describe the flow throughout the day isn't it? I still need to change my mindset from 'I must do..' to a rhythm of tasks'. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis is it exactly - changing the 'I must do..' and making space for all the things to get done. Without rush or hurry or worry. And it creates space for calm, I am finding.
Delete