16 February 2014

Decluttering: My Mind and His Toys


Before William was born, we were absolutely adamant about a few things, one of them being toys. We wanted quality, wooden toys, not plastic, and handmade if possible. And not too many of them. Charles was good at telling people fairly bluntly about our desires. And grandparents have been very good at taking it on board, I have to say.

But somehow, when we looked around our house, our standards had slipped. There were plastic toys given as gifts from workplaces and relatives, and even one or two that I had picked up myself. And so many toys. Probably not that many by today's standards really, but more than a little baby needs. And we noticed a behaviour in our son - pull out a toy, look at it for a minute or two, then discard it. Pull out another toy, look at it for a minute or two, and discard it. And so on. 

I guess the concerning thing for us out of this, apart from the plastic, is the effect of too many toys. Fostering a lack of focus on any one toy, always moving on to the next one. Getting bored with something very quickly, and looking for the next 'exciting thing' to entertain. When what we actually want to foster in our son, is the ability to play with his imagination. Anything can be a toy or a prop when you use imagination. That is what we want to encourage in him.

So we've been doing a big cull. Some of the toys have gone to the op shop bag, and some have been put away for use in a rotation system, of sorts. There are still what we think is too many toys around, so we'll have to do another round of decluttering. Already our home feels lighter. There is less choice for William, and he's been making better use of the fewer toys he has. And there is less clutter and less mess scattered around the house. I actually don't mind the mess he creates, as long as he's having fun. But I do mind if we're encouraging him to use and discard things very quickly. 

And then I turn my attention to myself. I find myself frustrated because I'm not 'getting anywhere' with all the things I want to do right now. Honestly, I have about 10 creative projects on the go or in my head. Crochet a new blanket. Do a blogging course. Update pretty much all of my blog. Write a book? Learn how to use photoshop. Taking more photos daily. Do a parenting course. Read a book. Document my recipes. Be creative in my cooking. Write blog posts. Edit photos. Take photos. After my priorities as a mother and a wife, and looking after the vegie garden and the cats and dogs and chooks and washing and feeding us and keeping the house in order. And I think, what am I modelling for my child? Too many activities on the go, no time to focus on any one, being scattered and 'not getting anywhere' on any of them. 

I think his toys are not the only thing that need to be decluttered. I need to remember that this is 'peak hour' in my life, and probably will be for a few more years. And some of the 'me' projects might just have to wait a while. The solution for now might just be to write them all in a big journal and get to them one day in the future, when I am less in demand. But oh, how to choose what to let go of. Such a tough decision!

I've read some interesting articles on children and toys lately, this one in particular provided some food for thought: Why I took my kids' toys away {& why they won't get them back}.

What do you think, do too many toys make for kids with a short attention span? Do you have any tips for how to focus on one creative outlet at a time, rather than ten?

10 comments:

  1. Oh how I totally agree with you!!! I really wanted all wooden toys when A was a baby, but darn it, didn't people just keep buying him plastic noisy things requiring batteries?! (MIL especially even though hubby had requested her not to!)
    Now the boys are 5 and nearly 3 there's a whole heap of Lego. Plastic it may be, but I'm not sure about a childhood without Lego ;) Birthdays and Christmas are hard as they're born Jan and April so rather close to Christmas. We do cull but they have way too much. I if I put loads away they do play with what they get out much better ... But it soon all builds up again. With B's birthday coming up we're struggling for what to get him.
    It's hard. Really hard!! Good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting post! My kids have far too many toys too. Really must get around to doing a BIG declutter! I didn't have much as a kid so I think I overcompensate for my kids sometimes and I know my parents definitely do try to make up for what we didn't have! Ha - tricky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Jacqui, I agree that it is not only material things that can clutter a life, I feel that life today is so fast paced that it can feel overwhelming, I am trying to slow our pace down a bit, leaving more time to enjoy the things that really make us happy. My boys were fairly typical kids with a lot of stuff when they were younger, but now they are in their teens we seem to have decluttered most of the childhood toys etc, they have actually become quite minimalist in their bedrooms! I have kept a few good quality toys like the Lego and Playmobil sets, but other than that we just have a lot of books! I can't seem to throw those out! Have great day, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that de-cluttering the mind may come from being in the present moment (wow that sounds new agey), I mean to be wholly doing what you are doing now, not doing something while thinking about the ten other things you should/want to be doing. I find that I do my best work by moving from task to task as my interest takes me, and I always have lots of things on the go, but I try not to be too caught up in finishing them and just enjoy the process (otherwise I get depressed by my lack of progress). Of course this attitude regularly falls in a big, screaming heap, but I always return to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed reading this and struck a chord on so many levels - I an definitely in need of a declutter. I started off as a parent so in favour of wooden handmade toys too and also fervently wanting a simple life for my family. It's as difficult for me to get rid of one of my enthusiasms (unfinished knitting, writing, so many recipes to try, garden to sort out, bee-keeping?) as it is for my daughter to part with one of the plastic toys she's now so partial to though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't remember having a lot of toys as a kid. i remember my brother and i playing with painted wooden blocks over and over, and tonka trucks, and lego. i'm sure there were dolls in there too :-) a thoughtful post, even for a non-parent like me, because it's like: how many kitchen gadgets do i really need? or shoes? or clothes, or magazines? see, the conundrum is just as applicable to adults.
    i'm also in awe that you have a list of creative projects. i feel like i am just trying to get thru the working week. you have inspired me :-) thank you!

    ReplyDelete

  7. This photo is so beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post! Nowadays kids are really overwhelmed with toys and it is getting quite a mess. :) Wish you luck with your creative projects! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post! Thanks for sharing! Greets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have so many toys at home! It is really frustrating sometimes to step on a little car in the kitchen! The kids are bringing and leaving them everywhere! I also need to be creative and somehow keep the toys in one place! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I read and appreciate every one.